Should we go to Murcia as well as Cartagena?

brissiegirl2

We will be visiting the port of Cartagena next year on the HAL ms Eurodam. I have read that the port of Cartagena is very easy to explore on a walking tour on your own which sounds like a great plan!

However, I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on whether it would be worth adding in a visit to Murcia, or rather use the extra time to relax and enjoy our time in Cartagena itself?

Thanks

Janelle:)

We took a train up to Murcia because it seemed like a larger city with more happening. It was fine. A nice city, but nothing special. When we got back and walked through Cartagena, I regretted missing the city and all its history. It's smaller, but I think it's still fine for a few hours on a cruise stay.

We took a train up to Murcia because it seemed like a larger city with more happening. It was fine. A nice city, but nothing special. When we got back and walked through Cartagena, I regretted missing the city and all its history. It's smaller, but I think it's still fine for a few hours on a cruise stay.

Thanks for your reply! I am thinking we will take our time and explore just Cartagena. As you say, Murcia is probably a very nice city, but if nothing too special, then maybe best to not worry with the extra travelling and enjoy Cartagena. After all, it is going to be a busy itinerary with 12 ports in 14 days, so will be nice to have more of a relaxing day!

Janelle:)

Murcia is a pleasant city, and we used to visit there a lot for the shopping, but it is certainly not a 'must see' attraction. I would spend the time in Cartagena having a beer [or three] and watch the world go by once you have seen the museum, amphitheater etc.