Dec 4 Standby...?

Susa

We'll be sailing Dec 5 and plan to fly out Dec 4 from El Paso Texas to FLL (and spend the night).

We will be flying standby (4 of us together:eek:) and I wonder if anyone has had experience with many people flying around this date.

We assume we'll be OK because the holiday season as a bit later.

Anybody know??

Thanks!

Am I reading correctly that there will be 4 flying standby? I'm snoopy-why are you all flying standby? I am pretty sure you aren't non-rev airline employees, or you would be able to get the answers.

Could be a toughie. A lot depends on the airline-how many flights per day, what type of planes, connections and through which airport?

The planes are generally NOT as full during the first weeks of December (that's when some of the best cruise and airline fares are). You really are risking the luck of the draw. What will be much more feasible is two on one flight and two on another.

There truly is no way to answer your questions. Good luck.

Actually we are the family of a non-rev airline employee. He does the baggage loading and unloading for Southwest. He never really has info for us until the day we fly and depending on the connections, we call and he tells us while we are at each airport.

Last time we did this it was 6 of us, in February, and aside from a 3-hour layover in Austin, it was fine.

Hope you're right about low traffic in early Dec!!

Thanks!

Keep in mind, especially as the bussiest travel season ends, the legacy airlines are revising schedules, parking airplanes (particularily those just entering bankruptcy). Good luck. I expect that airplanes will continue to fly pretty full.

I'm an airline employee and I have flown standby for cruises. However, I leave at least two days prior (I have flown one day ahead, but try not to) to the cruise. Never do it on the day of the cruise! Too much can happen (overbooked flight, downgrade of aircraft, standbys with more senority flying at the last minute,etc)

I'm with the other airline folks that say "don't chance it!" I've been employed by a major carrier for 28 years which gives us somewhat more chance of getting on a flight as it usually is by seniority and employment status. (Retired go first, then active employees by seniority, then family/friends-- at least with us). Even with that- we bought full fare tickets to get to our Enchantment cruise in Sept- coming home we did standby and that was okay. However I would never miss risking a cruise leaving without me for the price of a ticket-- of course I shop the price! We actually flew into Manchester, NH for a cruise leaving out of Boston MA because the price was better on a one way ticket. You may want to look at alternate airports as well. I have very dear long time friends that I use my companion tickets but I always tell them- if it's important (family event) buy a ticket. They use mine when it's just a "when we get there we do" type thing.

As non employees I would think (I don't know how SW works) your priority is lower than current active employees so that puts you at a disadvantage for boarding priority. And four people? That's tough too.

A few years ago we were in Frankfurt Germany and there were folks on "family passes" that had been there for DAYS. And we got out on the first flight we tried (and first class which was really a treat!) -- again your priority really makes a difference. And as I said, I don't know how SW works so perhaps it's different in your case.

With that said- early Dec. is usually a slow time so you might be fine. This year in particular is could be more difficult to guess because of the reduction in schedules, high fuel prices, etc. All I can say is- if you can find a reasonable price to GET to your cruise- do it. Getting back-- it's just not as important. However- if you look at hotels/meals for 4 people for a few days (which has happened to me) it does add up.

Archived