Royal Caribbean Gift Cards

11madmic

I have a lot of credit card points (very worthless points rather) that offer discounts on gift cards, and one of the gift cards is Royal Caribbean that offer 10% off dollar amount. BUT after reading the terms and conditions it doesn't sound very useful towards anything except new reservations through RCC itself. I just want to verify this because I would only buy a gift card if it could be used for onboard expenses.

The certificate can be used only for Royal Caribbean International services in accordance with terms and conditions outlined below. Certificates must be redeemed directly through Royal Caribbean International for the U.S. dollar value as outlined on the face of the certificate. Certificates can be used in multiples and can be used to supplement cash payment or credit card.

1. Travel agents, agencies or any other travel intermediary service cannot be used in conjunction with this certificate.

2. Deposit required at time of booking. Upon receipt of certificate any overpayment of booking will be refunded up to the amount of the required deposit applied.

3. All reservations are subject to availability. This certificate is valid for all ships, departures and stateroom categories.

4. To make reservations, call Royal Caribbean International at 877-912-7225. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

5. Please reference that you are using a DR561 certificate when making your reservation.

6. Upon making your reservation, certificates must be forwarded to:

EXPRESS MAIL:

Royal Caribbean International

Attn: Accounting Department

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, Florida 33132

7. Standard deposit and final payment policy applies.

8. Once a reservation has been made with a certificate, standard cancellation policies apply. This certificate will not be replaced if lost, stolen or destroyed.

9. This certificate is non-refundable and non-transferable.

10. Certificate cannot be applied to existing reservations and can only be used towards a new cruise booking.

11. This certificate cannot be applied to ship-board credit, excursions, or gratuities.

12. Optional trip insurance is available and recommended.

13. Tax liability is the responsibility of the certificate user.

14. Certificate is in US dollars and not redeemable for cash. No refund will be given if certificate value exceeds the total value of the cruise vacation.

so they are only good for reservations of a cruise only? I didnt mean going up to a store or bar and giving them a gift card. Iknow they only take the sail and sign card. Im asking about taking the gift card and paying my onboard balance with it at guest services.

Edited by 11madmic

so they are only good for reservations of a cruise only? I didnt mean going up to a store or bar and giving them a gift card. Iknow they only take the sail and sign card. Im asking about taking the gift card and paying my onboard balance with it at guest services.

You cannot use the gift card at guest services.

You can only use the gift card to pay for purchases made pre cruise. As the previous poster said you could use it to buy OBC that then could be used to offset on board purchases.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me their perspective on using this gift certificate? My mom is considering buying one but it worries me as it seems so restrictive. I assume if she has to cancel she won't get any type of refund?

Also it appears it only applies towards the cost of the cruise and NOT towards any onboard credits. OP did you try to use this yet?

I have not purchased one yet, im still considering it but the hassle seems too much. I called royal to confirm, you CAN use it to buy onboard credit prior to the cruise, BUT then she went on to tell me it would only be applied to the person's onboard spending account that the gift card was issued to. Even if there is a person sharing my cabin and on the same onboard expense account, their setsail card purchase will not be able to use the onboard credit from the gift card. I thought this sounded silly and asked if i heard correctly and she did confirm that odd scenario. She told me just to make the purchase on my set sail card on her behalf which obviously is not always possible. Therefore, im not sure i will follow through with the gift card. The only reason i would ever consider it was to save 10% (using my silly credit card points). if it was even money, i would never consider this method

Ok thank you, yes buying onboard credit was my intention. I actually didnt know that was possible to do. How do I go about pre-buying onboard credit?

You can purchase/redeem online as well...Use toward cruise price or as onboard credit...

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

Edited by lovetotravel06

• 6 months later...
You can purchase/redeem online as well...Use toward cruise price or as onboard credit...

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

I found this thread through a search. The card I was given doesn't have 2 numbers. They reference an ID in the email of 329479. I tried using that number and the number that was provided and that link doesn't work. I tried calling RCCL and just got the Customer Service shuffle. I never would have purchased these cards if I knew it was going to be this much hassle. I really wanted to use them for payment on my cruise but didn't realize you can't use them through a travel agent. Is there anyone from RCCL that checks here that I could contact? The last CSR I talked to gave me an invalid email address to use.