Mahogany Bay beach

cjb137

Can you pay for the sky chairs when you get there? I know its a short walk but my kids would love it.

Also are the shops in the area all chain shop? Are local vendors close enough to walk too?

We are just looking for a lazy beach day without dealing with taxis on this day.

There are "local" shops in the shopping area. Local in the sense that they only have stores in the two ports. But there are the typical chains like Diamonds International there too. No other "local" vendors or stores near the cruise port.

At one time you could purchase sky lift tickets at the sky lift. That may have changed. Ask the excursion desk on your ship before heading out. You can see the beach and the walk and the sky lift from the ship and while pulling in. So you can wait until you get there and then decide before leaving the ship, if the ship sells them separately and not as part of a package, unless you want the package.

• 3 weeks later...
I am wondering what the snorkeling was like at Mahogany Bay beach? I am not expecting the excellent snorkeling of the Tabayana beaches but am wondering if we snorkel here will we likely see a few sea life?

I think it will depend greatly on the weather and how mucky the water gets from the ship docking. I have seen posts of people talking about a few fishes and at the end of the beach by the pier.

Google is my friend!!

I found this dated Jan 2015: "We have been to Roatan many times including Mahogany Bay. Mahogany Bay was built by Carnival. There really isn't any snorkeling at Mahogany Bay at all. And you have to walk to the far end of the long beach to get to the dock where I was told there was snorkeling. But I only saw one needle fish. "

This was dated 2009: I don't know if they offer snorkeling but we had some decent snorkeling from shore. We have our own gear. If you go out near the end of the wooden pier, there is an area with a lot of rocks. There's a lot of fish there. Also, you can see some neat coral and fish in the sea-grass area near that area as well.

Edited by Guest 2000

If you want to snorkel, Mahogany Bay is NOT the place for you.

Otherwise, it makes a convenient beach day.

When we were there in January of this year, tickets for the "flying chairs" could be bought as you enter. Think they're about a dollar more than buying them in advance.

Within the secured terminal area there are lots of shops. Other shops/vendors were not in walking distance.

Look forward to having a wonderful day at Mahogany Bay! :)

LuLu