Stacey's Girl Getaway on the Breakaway- BA to BDA 10/4-10/11

sunbird21

Oh ok, I knew it was an "S" named ship that was in NYC. I've been looking at the 4 or 5 day that goes to Canada in the summer

I think the sunshine will be in NYC in the fall doing New England/Canada. I think I remember looking at it.

Danielle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the sunshine will be in NYC in the fall doing New England/Canada. I think I remember looking at it.

Danielle

That's it - the Sunshine. I keep looking at that one for a quick trip. They have a couple 4 day trips in June which would work for us. My youngest graduates HS in the beginning of June so I wanted to go somewhere afterward but we only have a few days. So I was looking at the Sunshine or Anthem which is 5 days (but soooo much more expensive).

That's it - the Sunshine. I keep looking at that one for a quick trip. They have a couple 4 day trips in June which would work for us. My youngest graduates HS in the beginning of June so I wanted to go somewhere afterward but we only have a few days. So I was looking at the Sunshine or Anthem which is 5 days (but soooo much more expensive).

We sailed on the sunshine and enjoyed ourselves. It wasn't a New England/Canada cruise.

We sailed on the sunshine and enjoyed ourselves. It wasn't a New England/Canada cruise.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it - doesn't matter where the ship goes, I'm just happy to be on one :D (we've done all the standard routes from NYC - Canada, Bermuda & PC/Nassau/Private Island and I'm ok with all of them.) I know sometimes Canada that early in the season can be chilly or foggy. My son is more interested in the video game room than the pool so we're good in case of poor weather.

"It was here that I found my favorite drink(on Day 6, I know!)-the Rebellious Fish."

The Rebellious Fish is my absolute favorite drink, too! Discovered it on my first NCL cruise on the Sky when they actually used to put it in glass fishbowls, and have since introduced my DH to it. Despite being a beer lover, he also loves the Rebellious Fish! Plus, I believe there is champagne (well, sparkling wine) in it. Bonus! Can't wait to have them on the Escape in a couple weeks!

Nice review! I'm not sailing on the Breakaway anytime soon, but I would love to go to Bermuda one of these years. Thanks for the pictures and details, and glad your friends made it back before sailaway. I would have done the same thing as you and walked back without them if I only had 20 minutes to spare!

"It was here that I found my favorite drink(on Day 6, I know!)-the Rebellious Fish."

The Rebellious Fish is my absolute favorite drink, too! Discovered it on my first NCL cruise on the Sky when they actually used to put it in glass fishbowls, and have since introduced my DH to it. Despite being a beer lover, he also loves the Rebellious Fish! Plus, I believe there is champagne (well, sparkling wine) in it. Bonus! Can't wait to have them on the Escape in a couple weeks!

Nice review! I'm not sailing on the Breakaway anytime soon, but I would love to go to Bermuda one of these years. Thanks for the pictures and details, and glad your friends made it back before sailaway. I would have done the same thing as you and walked back without them if I only had 20 minutes to spare!

Thanks!!! Good to have validation that I'm not too strict lol!!!

Just a heads up- will update day 6 tomorrow, I had a crazy weekend( all over Manhattan, 7 admissions) so I have to catch up with paperwork... Sigh... Have to get money for my next cruise!!

Thanks!!! Good to have validation that I'm not too strict lol!!!

Just a heads up- will update day 6 tomorrow, I had a crazy weekend( all over Manhattan, 7 admissions) so I have to catch up with paperwork... Sigh... Have to get money for my next cruise!!

I agree with you, I would have been freaking out. 20 minutes is cutting too close

I loved reading this review! Take it from a writer, you know how to tell a story!

I'll be sailing on the Breakaway in two weeks with my brother and friends, and I can't wait. This will be my second time on the Breakaway, but the first time in Haven. We decided to try it out because we got a great deal. And after a few months of very stressful work, I need it!

We will definitely be trying the Rebellious Fish! Many, many of them. A school of Rebellious Fish, if I have anything to say about it.

And thank you for being a nurse. You guys/gals don't get nearly the amount of recognition you deserve.

Day 7

Last day-(sad face)

My plan for today was this:

Ropes course

Spend as much time at VIBE as possible

Waterslides

“Possible” massage

In my head, I was picturing the perfect sunny weather from the day before when I woke up at my usual time. (By this point, I gave up on sleeping in-I figured I could nap at home all day tomorrow).

Sadly, the skies were overcast, and it was a bit windy when I set out of the cabin. I did my usual gym and breakfast(today at Taste) and headed up to Vibe, planning to skip the spa for today. I had not had nearly the time that I wanted to have at Vibe, so I was planting my bottom on a sunbed for a minimum of 2 hours.

Well, the good news was that Vibe was open in the wind, and there were plenty of sunbeds available, albeit bungee corded down.

7c94be87f299eb5434d2e36b4d5a59c0.jpg

Bad news? It was windy, and cool, and NO ONE was there.

393ad17ee29a267bfe31f2b8449c3fbb.jpg

005f5d10b62c0aa1c83090e77f01455a.jpg

I tried to make myself comfy on a sunbed, used my newly purchased towel clips(how had I never discovered these prior to this cruise?) and sprawled out, watching a downloaded episode of a show that I was too impatient to wait to see upon my return.

Ten minutes later, with the spray of the hot tub flying at me, I semi gave up, and relocated to a regular lounger in the back row. I also helped myself to a few complimentary towels, and bundled up. I did remain here long enough to finish my show, and watch the Vibe staff securing more loungers down.

Just as the credits rolled, so did the rain. OK, apparently the spa was pissed at me for ditching it this morning. I see how it is. So, I gathered up my bag, wistfully glanced at the empty deck, and headed to the spa for a bit. At least it was warm there.

(And this right here is my logic for blowing $$$ on both passes-access to a secluded environment in any weather possibility).

I did sneak a peek at the cabanas while I was here.....

714e3a6d43404459b2066dfcecbd5dec.jpg

On my way to the spa, the daily auctioneers were outside with the spa special of the day. I took a flier, as the best specials tend to be at the end of the cruise, and sure enough, they didn’t let me down. Today’s option was a 75 minute combo treatment of full body massage, scalp massage, foot massage, and a facial for $180. Not a horrible price for a cruise inflated service.

I took all of the 90 second walk to the counter to decide to splurge on it, and booked myself an appt for 1pm, figuring the sun would surely be out after that, allowing me time to do other things in the afternoon.

The spa was about half full when I went in, but still I found an empty heated lounger. It seemed to be a bit extra warm today, though, so I actually moved to a padded lounger after a bit.

Of course, my sun seared body *might* have been a little more sensitive, too.

Since it was the last day, I did get up and do the circuit again, trying the steam room and sauna before going into the salt room one more time. Like an idiot, I kept looking around the room for some sort of switch to activate SOMETHING-I still thought there had to be some type of aromatherapy or steam or some element that would bring out the “salt” in this “salt bath.”

A couple of women walked in during this,looking at me oddly. I explained quickly what my reasoning was, and the older of the two gave me a look and said , “It’s just a place to relax, you know, meditate…”

The other woman chimed in, “Yeah, it’s nice, it’s not a room where people feel like they have to chitchat and yap on…you can just be SILENT.”

Ooo-kay then. I wasn’t looking for chitchat, but I get the picture here. I just cannot understand how NCL promotes this exclusive “salt bath” and its just a room with a stone sculpture.

I mean, why not just call it a meditation room?

I hung out about another awkward 2 minutes before making my escape, and decided to check out the non meditative thalassotherapy pool.

The water temp was nice, and it was fairly empty. I relaxed on the giant lounger with the full body jets, watching another woman relaxing in one of the side cubbies with jets who was getting splashed by a woman who thought it was a good idea to stand directly under the giant fountain in the middle.

Fountain woman looked like she was having the time of her life. Cubby woman, who was getting a full body spray from her did not. Nor did the people walking around the pool who were getting splashed from the water spray.

After checking out each facet of the pool, and hot tub, I returned to my lounger for a few. I rested until I noticed the rain droplets subside, and saw the sun begin to creep out.

I did notice this scenic sight above the water.

b68d221ac86bff7824b2e353cc083fdf.jpg

I waited long enough to gamble on the sun, and returned to Vibe. I did call down to the room to check on my friends, who were slowly emerging from their slumber. They were planning to meet the gentlemen for breakfast (take a wild guess where) and said that they would find me at Vibe later.

Once I returned to Vibe, I noticed that J, T, S and JM were all there, along with the honeymooners( I think their names started with a K and another J, but for reference I’ll just keep calling them the honeymooners-I’m sure they won’t mind). We greeted each other and compared notes on Bermuda, over freshly concocted Richard Banz cocktails.

We divvied up at some point, which I claimed my former sunbed (still bungeed down, but workable with a couple towels on top) and read for a little bit.

1bb3ed8e3a27467689d2e229d482c0e1.jpg

A couple other people came and went, but it was pretty much our group on the entire deck for the time being. It did get windy after a bit, so we claimed extra towels and huddled under the bar-it was quite the sight. Mr. Honeymooner jumped into the hot tub and seemed content to ride out the wind there, but Mrs. Honeymooner stayed with us by the bar.

The sun kept coming and going, and at one sunny stage, I was over by S and JM’s loungers. Somehow, we were talking with T and J about our cabin stewards, and I asked S and JM if they had Levi.

JM got this sour look on his face. “He is the WORST steward EVER, and he’s a thief!” he exclaimed.

With that, we compared notes. S and JM had also talk to another cruise critic couple in our hall, who had similar comments. Short version (over a few more drinks) was that

-Levi didn’t clean anyone else’s cabin any better than he did ours, so I took S’s advice to stop blaming ourselves for being four messy women.

-He didn’t dole out the towel animals on a nightly basis to anyone else

-Towels were left on the bathroom floor for multiple days

-He didn’t deliver a bon voyage gift until day 2.

Now, I know what statement got your attention from above, so here’s the basic facts as were told to me on that. A valuable item of JM’s was left out on the dresser, and it was not there when they returned one day. They hadn’t reported it up to that point, wanting to be sure that it wasn’t misplaced, and it was not found.

We all encouraged them to report the theft, and J encouraged us to tell guest services about Levi’s overall subpar service. I wasn’t planning to initially-I figured my review here would do the trick, but we figured that, as a group, if we said something, it might get the attention of the staff in order to do something about it.

Before the bashers come in, let me just say, NO ONE was expecting any sort of compensation, onboard credit, what have you for this-nor was anyone reducing any gratuities. My opinion was that, of 9 cruises, the level of service was the lowest that I had received from a cabin steward on this trip. Again, I had chalked it up to the cabin being messy with four women, but hearing that groups of two weren’t receiving any better service led me to believe that the common denominator was the likely weak link.

In the midst of this, C found me in Vibe, and mentioned that the other three had booked the spa special for 4pm, so she offered to move mine to then so that we could all go at the same time. She stayed for a few minutes with us, then returned to Deck 15, where they were hanging out with the gentlemen.

During the next rainy spell, JM, S and I decided to venture down to guest services to address the Levi issue. Luckily, there was no line, and we reviewed the gist of our concerns with the agent at the desk. She then made a call, and asked us to go to our cabins to wait for a manager to meet us there.

I went back to the cabin, where it was approaching 1:30, and found the room empty, with beds still unmade, trash full,towels on floor,etc. I did see Levi standing in the hall reading something on his cart, glancing at us as we entered our respective cabins.

While I waited, I attempted to use the Wifi again, and was still unable to connect. Sigh. So glad I wasn’t on pay as you go package.

V came into the cabin for a minute, and I filled her in. We made arrangements to meet at Uptown Grill in 30 for lunch with the others before she headed back out.

A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Someone from the hotel staff came in, and quickly asked me if I was friends with the guys next door. I said that we had just met on this cruise and were new friends, but that my opinion was not based on theirs. She then had me give my list if issues, which I did, including the comment about requiring two hrs to “scrub the cabin down.”

She kept a blank face, nodded, and asked, “So what are you looking for? Onboard credit?”

My jaw dropped. OK, I get how some people are, but…really???

“No, I don’t want any credit, I want him to do his job!” I exclaimed. “It’s almost 2:00 in the afternoon, you can see that the room is still a mess, and we’ve yet to receive a complete turndown service all week.”

“Well, I do see that your do not disturb light was on the first night,” she said.

“Yes, I get that, but we made sure that it wasn’t every other night,” I replied.

I continued to reiterate that I didn’t feel that the level of service was up to par, referencing other issues(re: daylong toilet repair) and that I just wanted the service to improve-nothing more, nothing less.

More blank staring. Then she nodded and exited the room.

Well, that went well…..

It was well past time to feed myself ( and soak up some of the drinking from the morning), so I headed up to Uptown where I found the girls in line.

Unfortunately, about ¼ of the ship decided that Uptown was the place to eat at that moment, too.

I waited for a few minutes, then decided to get food from O’Sheehans- my wing time was rapidly drawing to a close- and meet them back there. We agreed to meet shortly, and I went down to deck 7.

I think another ¼ of the ship was at O’Sheehans, too. I asked about placing a to go order, and the hostess sent me to a desk at the back of the room. While in line there, I saw the A’s, eating their lunch. I had run into A while at guest services, so I stepped out of line for a few and filled her in. Just then, her server came by and asked if I wanted anything, so I placed my takeout order with her. Score!

We chatted while I waited for my food,and asked if they wanted to meet up with us later. We had exchanged iConcierge numbers, so she said to let her know if I was bored later. They were heading out to do the ropes course, which I wanted to do once I ate and found the others.

2a8fec4464f0004e42b0fef74cecc085.jpg

92bdebee8feb3429939bea15dc0d0eff.jpg

They took off for that, and I continued to wait for my food for a bit. Granted, it was crowded, so I didn’t hold it against them, but by the time I got my food and made it BACK to Uptown, there was no sign of V., L., or C.

Sigh. I did a couple of laps of the deck, and even the buffet downstairs before plucking myself at a table and chowing down. Then I did a few more laps of 15-17, called the room, text on WhatsApp (in case anyone’s wifi was, you know, WORKING). Then I gave up and headed to Vibe, figuring that they would either be there, or I would just stay there.

No cabinmates, but the original group was still there, so I settled in, ordered another rebellious fish, and regaled them with the outstanding service tale from earlier.

77333a509943b353d2b798e432cfdacb.jpg

I made it into the hot tub for a few minutes before another wave of wind pounded the deck, and then just lounged on a barstool after that.

J and T had their siracha sauce front and center on the counter. They also had drinks ( I think they were bloody mary’s) with these lovely garnishments.

8684519352416607dfdcb8279fe6d3db.jpg

These were ship provided, and pretty funny…I think they had them in Savor the day of our first lunch as well.

JM and S returned to the deck, saying that they didn’t get much more response from the staff after their talk, either.

Before I knew it, it was almost 4…time for the massage! I bid farewell to the group, not knowing if I would make it back to Vibe before it closed.

As I was walking down to the spa, I belatedly realized…there wasn’t going to be much time left for the ropes course! I hoped that we could jet up there post massage.

I found the others in the spa lobby and inquired as to where they went. They claimed that they had waited “a long time” for me at Uptown before figuring that I went elsewhere…They stated that they did the rounds looking for me, so I guess we just went in circles.

If ONLY anyone else had downloaded the iConcierge app….

In any case, they had spent the afternoon with the gentlemen, but they didn’t make the ropes course or rock climbing wall,saying that they had been closed whenever they passed by there.

Gulp. This wasn’t looking good.

As we waited, we had to fill out the usual questionnaire (where they try to see what they can attempt to sell to you). After about ten minutes, they sent us downstairs to another waiting room, where we sat for about another ten minutes.

Each of our therapists came by , one by one, and mine was Miriam. She escorted me to a quiet, tranquil room, where I changed and settled in.

Fatigue was fast creeping up on me, as were the drinks. The massage was great, but when I turned over for the facial, I was in la-la land. It was the first time I’ve ever fallen asleep during a massage.

Before I knew it, she was waking me up, and I was startled to realize that I had slept through the last 20 minutes or so. Well, I guess that’s supposed to be a good recommendation. It was very relaxing.

Of course, she settled in and said, “Your skin is very sunburned. What do you put on it?”

Here we go. I reassured her that I had brought aloe, and of course she countered with the spa’s products.

This is where I told my little white lie. “I just took another cruise last month, and I splurged on a lot of products from the spa, then, “ I fibbed.

She looked disappointed, but retreated without fuss.

I did give her a decent tip, however. She was a good masseuse.

As I left the spa, I saw the clock read 5:50.

Time to accept it, Stacey. No ropes course on THIS trip.

Seriously, how had I let it get away?

70611f616755b629ac726a81c4fac600.jpg

(I know, I know-there were probably a few Fireballs and rebellious fish to blame. I was still disappointed in myself for missing out, though).

I’ve since read other accounts of our cruise, and have read in Mitsugirly’s review that she and her group hit the ropes course on Day 1. Now, that was smart.

But back to that evening…

I headed back to the cabin, where C was curled up in bed, snoozing away. She woke up when I came in, and I relented about missing the ropes course. It turns out they all did,too.

I rested for a bit, and the others returned shortly. I forget which one told me, but we were discussing the Levi drama (they were interested in the theft next door) and someone said that Levi approached her in the hall. He had told her that he “wasn’t allowed to go back to our cabin,” so if we “wanted service today, (we) had to call guest services.”

It was then that I realized, in my tired state, that the room STILL hadn’t been cleaned.

At this hour, there wasn’t any point. We had to pack, and it would’ve been useless to have it semi cleaned. I reassured the others that I wasn’t going to pursue the towel animal tonight-it was what it was.

Then L asked how the debarkation process worked, and I explained the difference between self debark and not. Once they vetoed self service, and realized that the other option meant that luggage had to be out by 11, we begrudgingly initiated the packing process.

0ca8f39b00c63ebb11f9202384dc690b.jpg

Between this, and getting ready for dinner, we occupied the next hour until karaoke was on. This was another activity that we wanted to do, but hadn’t had a chance, so we really wanted to hit it tonight.

Guess who was ready first?

None of us felt like having a full meal at one of the MDR’s tonight, nor did anyone want to do a specialty. We compromised on O’Sheehans (yay, more wings!), so I head out to get a table.

Once there, I was seated quickly. I told the server that I was waiting for three others, so he seated me at a table, brought a drink, and kept checking on me as I waited….and waited some more.

I felt bad for the guy. The place actually wasn’t that crowded, except for the stools overlooking the atrium, where karaoke was in full swing. But I think he wanted to be attentive, so he kept checking on me and offering to get me appetizers while I waited.

Truthfully, I wasn’t really hungry, but going to dinner more out of habit at this point. I also was kind of done with alcohol at this point, so there wasn’t much to do. In effort to keep myself awake, I kept ordering pop for the caffeine. I got up from time to time and attempted to squeeze in at the railing to watch some of the karaoke.

The contestants were all pretty good, but this one guy did an Elton John number that blew the crowd away. He had an AMAZING voice!

Finally, my server came by to promote the prime rib and tell me that it was only going to be served for another 20 minutes. He asked if I wanted to order a few plates of it so that we “didn’t miss out.”

I politely declined, but decided to order at that point. I got my final plate of wings and fish and chips.

As soon as he took off, L arrived. She said that C realized that there were no vegan options at O’Sheehans-oops, my bad-so they went to the buffet and were going to bring food down there.

My eager server came back and quickly took L’s order. Like me, she wasn’t extremely hungry, but ordered anyway.

V and C came down with buffet food just in time to hear the end of karaoke. We were all kind of wiped during dinner, but wanted to stay and watch the Perfect Couple show. There was a singer on between, so we went to the shops and photo gallery for a bit before the show.

91b2fd0361466ee493e3777d22412b86.jpg

When we headed down to the atrium, we found that it was still pretty packed. V found a few empty chairs on the side, in front of the bakery, and moved them behind the back row. Just as she was lining the chairs up, two women, who had their chairs all the way by the barricade between the bakery and the atrium yelled, “You can’t sit there!”

V looked bewildered. She wasn’t in the way on any exits or major paths to anything.

One of the women glared at her. “We’ve been sitting here for HOURS, and you are not going to sit in front of us!” she bellowed.

With that, V retreated, with a look of her own.

One begs to question, if you’ve been in a crowded venue for HOURS, why would you pick a couple of chairs at the furthest possible spot?

V decided that she wanted a drink at the Atrium Bar, so we stood around there for a few, trying to locate any other possible places to sit. As we were standing, we noticed another group walk in, spy the same empty chairs that V had spotted, and attempt to sit exactly where we were going to.

Once again, the women cursed them out. Unlike us, they stay put, and sniped back. Thus began the catfight of the evening.

Instead of watching this, C found an empty spot to the far side of the stage(past the Internet café) so we shuffled our way there. We had a decent view of the stage, but alas, no chairs. We toughed it out, though.

Then the show began, and I have to say, it was HYSTERICAL. Hands down, it was worth the crowds, and easily the best passenger oriented show of the cruise.

We had thought it was going to be a Q&A session with some inappropriate questions. Nope, just inappropriate acts…they had couples in all sorts of awkwards positions rolling an orange up and down their bodies under their clothes, popping balloons on each others backsides, and my personal favorite…the blindfolded walk with a protruding object that one partner had to fit into the others, um, hole.

Yep, this was an all ages show….hope no children were traumatized, but the entire room was dying. I don’t think I laughed as hard that week!

Once it was over, I was feeling refreshed, so we walked around on the Waterfront for a bit. It was VERY windy at this point, so we lasted all of five minutes. L, V and I ended up inside at Maltings, and V talked me into a final Fireball (or two).

ea41e4619dfb4b6933fe2a8b046031c5.jpg

L thought the difference in our shot strategy was funny,so she took some photos.

Meanwhile, on the other side of V, an older, clearly inebriated guy struck up conversation while he ordered up a shot called a Duck Fart. He proceeded to tell us how this was the best shot in the universe, and tried to convince us to get one.

We politely declined, and stuck to our Fireballs. We attempted to converse with him about various topics, but he kept bringing it back to the Duck Fart, so we made a quick escape.

I followed the others up to Bliss. We danced around a bit before the others actually seemed bored with it. Instead, we headed to Howl at the Moon, where we got fairly decent seats.

f0d44ae143c191b74fb0f826d341d27b.jpg

Tonight, they had a lot of the entertainment staff on hand from the shows, and they really amped up the songs. I convinced V to try the rebellious fish, while the others stuck to their pina coladas.

37259c2ef691985d9dd318b7eebe2dfe.jpg

d1ac645d63c94b6b91080bc2c17e5612.jpg

The time flew by, and before I knew it, it was 1am. V had tried to request “Chandelier” from the players just before they wrapped up, so they didn’t get to it.

Instead, we left Headliners, and decided that we needed pictures on the crazy stairs. As we only could in the middle of the night, we commandeered the staircase and took a variety of poses.

638f62a208677ced8f3537ad21ea893b.jpg

The entertainment crew came out a few minutes later, and offered to take a few for us.

One of them even jumped in.

a42a08457a4e1c64e006db17f7254d58.jpg

As they left, we were discussing how we missed karaoke, and that, combined with V missing her HATM request, led us to singing “Chandelier” on our own, underneath the chandelier.

Very original, I know. It was the Fireball, I tell you.

Once we were done serenading the chandelier, we decided to run down the hall of Deck 6 doing spontaneous karaoke before collapsing on one of the loungers at the end of the deck.

99f807cfa80c953a1a75cbf4fe300aa2.jpg

I’m thankful that no cabins were around…and no PEOPLE.

And if you witnessed otherwise…please let me remain in that delusion.

With that, we headed back to Bliss, where we continued dancing, thankfully without song.

I honestly do not recall what time I lasted until, though I do know it was my latest night yet. I do know that by the time I went back to the cabin(yes, I still crashed well before the others) the luggage was all gone.

Since we were banned from service, I attempted to make a towel snake(my best attempt) and left it on C’s bed. I forgot to take a photo, though, so picture it looking better than it probably was in reality.

The Final Hours….

‘Twas a restless sleep that night, and I know I woke up a few times, not to the others wandering in, but to seeing lights outside of my balcony….we were fast approaching land! I tried to see if we were near the Verrazano Bridge at any point, as I missed seeing the sailaway under it (since it was at 2am) but nothing.

I did wake up again as we made the final turn into the pier, and was up for good at that point. Luckily, I was early enough to make a final trip to Savor for breakfast.

They had an abbreviated menu this morning-I think they skipped the egg dishes, correct me if I’m worng, but that was fine for me. I sadly ate my last cinnamon raisin French Toast and watch the Carnival ship unloading in the next pier.

After breakfast, I walked around to get some final pictures of the main decks. You could see the staff hard at work cleaning the ship for the newbies.

e9a72f62996fb5443e5648ca38ff5264.jpg

d37a1712e137b6d6665e83bc2d90d972.jpg

I went back to the cabin to notify the night owls that we were to vacate our cabin within the next hour. This led to a frenzy of people wandering around,doing last minute searches under beds, in drawers,etc.

Meanwhile, the disembarkation tags were being called. I had selected an earlier time than the others, mainly because, well…my reasoning is that that last morning on a cruise is like the period after a breakup. The magic is gone and the time is over, and lingering kind of makes it painfully obvious that you’re trying to cling to something that just isn’t there anymore.

Yes, I’m a weirdo, as my friends pointed out when I shared this philosophy.

I’m sure many others will go with C’s “I’m staying on this ship until they drag me off kicking and screaming.”

At least there was no stress of trying to make a flight or transportation arrangements to a hotel, just a cab ride up the West Side Highway to home.

Anyway, my tag, the aqua color was supposed to be called around 9:30, I believe, but they were speedy today, and it was called before 9. I was ready to go, but my friends insisted that I accompany them to the buffet one last time.

We took one last sad elevator pic for the road.

efc8acc20ff9709c55296599b280929d.jpg

The buffet was (unsurprisingly) crowded, but we found a table and chatted for awhile, well past the time that they called their tags( brown, I think). When the gentlemen wandered by, I saw my exit, and said my goodbyes to the girls.

I made my way to Deck 7( I think) and was off the ship in minutes….and into a LONG line outside the terminal.

I weaved my way through, trying to take a picture of where I thought our balcony cabin was.

548bd3226040d98654bb6968d42c9b05.jpg

Inside, they ushered us down some escalators to baggage claim, where I found my luggage in a dwindling pile of aqua tags.

Then it was the customs line, which wasn’t too long, and then out into the street. Guess who I ran into there?

Sure enough, it was J, T, JM, and S, with all of their luggage on a cart. We walked across the street and said our goodbyes as we separated into various cab lines.

25 minutes( and five flights of stairs) later, I was home.

THE END

FINAL THOUGHTS

First of all, I have to say thank you to everyone who has stuck around and read this beginning to end! I know I had a few days between my last two posts, due to real life taking over, and I appreciate those who waited!

I also want to thank everyone who has commented and replied-I love to get feedback,and see that people are interested in reading my tales. Its inspiring me to continue with these reviews, which will be on Carnival during Christmas!!

Anyway, I just wanted to point out a summary of items for those booked-or considering booking- on the Breakaway.

1. Service: I had read ad nauseum that there were service issues on this ship, so I came with the mindset not to expect too much.

I was pleasantly surprised with the service in all of the dining venues that I tried. Wait times and service ranged from perfectly fine to really well done. I think if you go in with the mindset that things MAY be slower(there are 4000 people on the ship,after all) at worst, you won't be setting yourself up to get frustrated if it is. At best, you may be pleasantly surprised as well.

That being said, I was quite disappointed with our cabin steward, for the range of reasons listed in the review. I have heard and read accounts of much better service in this area, so I do think it was an issue with that individual rather than the whole. I can only hope that the feedback given by myself and my neighbors helped improve service for the next group, and would be interested to hear from subsequent cruisers who had him if this was the case.

In all other areas of the ship (despite hotel management) I did feel that the level of service ranged from adequate to good. Again, I adjusted expectations in some areas (don't expect fast service at the pool bar on a crowded day) so the results ended up working to my advantage.

2.Food- As everyone says on here, its so subjective. I don't care for buffets as a whole, so I thought the food was just okay, but didn't find anything wrong with it. MDR's food was decent and I fared well here. I loved O'Sheehans on the Epic, and it didn't disappoint here. La Cucina was probably similar to Olive Garden, but then again, I actually LIKE Olive Garden, so I was fine with that. The Cirque meal was better than I expected this go-round, but still not my favorite meal.

3. Drinks/UBP- No question, with the package, I definitely came out ahead on the $68 paid. I did the UBP once on the Epic at full price and didn't come close, so I guess its a hit or miss. For me, I would do it with this current special, but wouldn't pay the full price again for it. I absolutely drank more with it, which was good/bad, I suppose. I am a mixed drink girl, and it covered a WIDE range of drinks including

-Shots(clearly)

-Wine(I had a glass of Chianti at La Cucina that was $10)

-Martinis

-Drinks of the Day(in regular cups)

-Coffee + alcohol drinks(no charge for coffee)

-Multi liquor drinks

-Soda and juice

4. Activities

Lesson learned....if you want to try something on this ship, do it early on....time and weather have a way of getting in the way and you may lose your chance. That being said, I clearly need to do at least ONE more cruise on BA to cross this off the list.

5. Entertainment

This is also a personal choice. You won't get Hollywood level of talent, but if you just want to enjoy yourself, its pretty good. I enjoyed Rock of Ages and Cirque Dreams quite a bit, but Burn the Floor was kind of boring for me. The passenger driven shows were entertaining primarily because of the people involved (except for that Norwegian Babe thing LOL).

6. Ship Stability and Motion

Umm, did you miss the part where I said we cruised through a HURRICANE??? Needless to say, I had some of the rockiest days that I've ever had early in the week. But again....hurricane. We made it to Bermuda and back in one piece (well,except for the Medevac girl). And I STILL didn't get seasick, minus a few queasy moments at the spa.

7. Bermuda

Very friendly island, very cordial people, beautiful beaches... I would definitely return to spend more time here. I feel like I got a good feel of it though in the three days, so I didn't feel rushed at any point to do an activity and get back to the ship...except for those last strenuous moments thanks to my friends.

8.Miscellaneous

Overall, I think NCL did a great job at handling the unknown leading up to the cruise. I think the decision to leave later to avoid rough seas was a good one, even though we did hit some. I know they tried to balance safety,comfort, and allowing the 4000 people who wanted to see Bermuda to do so, and I think they did the best that they could do.

That being said, I HATED the staff at the Port of New York. They were the most unnecessarily rude staff that I've encountered.

9. Comparisons to Epic

I can't compare the Breakaway to NCL's smaller ships, since I haven't been on them, so Epic it is.

I think the layout of the rooms are better on the BA, but certain venues on the Epic seemed to flow better (Bliss, O'Sheehans).

Vibe was more private on the BA, but more lively on the Epic, probably because it overlooked the pool area.

I honestly didn't feel as though BA was more crowded, but then again, a lot of common areas were emptier due to the weather, so its hard to be accurate here.

I do like the Waterfront on the BA.

I do think the casino area is smokier on the BA.

10. Comparisons to Carnival

Since this is the other line I've cruised...

My overriding statement is that I feel both lines are very similar, and I will continue to cruise both. I feel that Carnival does better in some areas (service is a bit more personable, cost is usually better) and NCL does better in others ( more dining options, food is better(to me) more entertainment and activities). Its hard to pit them against each other. I know there's die hard fans in each camp, but I honestly like both equally.

Great review. Thank you! You have a great snarky sense of humor!!!

We went on the Breakaway Inaugural to Bermuda years ago and we didn't like the Breakaway. We went back to the smaller ships. Love the Dawn & the Gem!!! We have a 14 day cruise booked on the Breakaway for 1/17/16 and I have to decide make final payment or cancel by Monday. We did the long cruise on the Gem last January and LOVED it. Great ship, great food, great service. Lousy entertainment! LOL.

The itinerary is great but I really don't know what to do. All the things that bothered you are what bothered us. So not much has changed! Thanks! YOu have me thinking...