GTY Room selected and assigned at checkout

lachelli

Hello

When I booked my up and coming cruise on the Epic, I selected a GTY inside family room, however when I was completing the booking I noticed at the checkout that I was already assigned a room. I thought this was strange as I was always under the impression that rooms where assigned closer to the sail date ( booked mid Sept for mid November).

There is no mention of a GTY on the booking confirmation, is this normal and now that I have a room number for the same category room does it mean that I have not been assigned a higher category and don't stand a chance of it happening closer to the sail date

Thanks in advance

Lachelli

I don't see any "glitches". GTY can be assigned anytime from time of booking up until you show up at the pier. If there are a lot of rooms available it is not out of the question to be given an immediate room assignment. The OP's chance of an upgrade remain unchanged. I would not ever expect an upgrade, but be happy if one comes through.

GTY's should never be booked expecting an upgrade but only for the cost savings. The vast majority of GTY booking end up being exactly what the person pays for and few get upgrades.

I think because folks see almost daily postings of folks that received upgrades they think it is routine. There are only a very small percentage of cruisers on CC (some say 5-10% of total passengers on a given cruise) and then a very small percentage of those post about upgrades.

If you did not like the room assigned, I would have not completed the checkout and take the chance later on that you would be assigned somewhere different.

I have had it happen where I was assigned a room but it was perfect for what I wanted and I never book a GTY hoping for an upgrade.

Thanks everyone

I am more than happy with the room that I have been assigned, I was just supprised that it was assigned before I had even gone through the checkout and this is what made me question if it was normal procedure with NCL and if It meant that I was now out of the running for any chance of an upgrade - not that I banked on one, but I am pretty sure that everyone who books a GTY lives in hope that some day they will snag an upgrade

Edited by lachelli