Bahia Mar or B Ocean ....can't decide??

HappySailer88

We stayed at the Bahia Mar for a couple of days after a cruise in April 2014 and enjoyed it. It's a nice location with an elevated walkway to the beach and a nice pool area and pool bar. They have two buildings, the Tower and the Marina Building. The Marina Building is a three story building that looks like it may have been a separate hotel at one time. The Tower rooms are nicer so if you go there try to get a tower room.

It is also a short walk to the water taxi stop. We used the water taxi several times. Besides being convenient it was a nice ride and a good way to see the area.

Edited by Ron_L

We have stayed at both and enjoyed both of our stays. The B Ocean was formerly the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and Sheraton Beach Hotel. It has 3 buildings, the main building and the smaller building. Both are on the beach. The other building is connected by walkway across the street and overlooks the Bahia Cabana hotel and restaurant and the marina. The Bahia Mar is just up the street and as the previous poster mentioned there are two buildings. Main building is much better as the other smaller building has one side that overlooks the parking lot and the other the marina. Not much around either but the Bahia Mar does have a small store at the entrance. I think if I had my choice I would go with the Bahia Mar if I was in the main building. Both are walkable to shops and restaurants and the Sun Trolley stops in front of both.

We have stayed at both and enjoyed both of our stays. The B Ocean was formerly the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and Sheraton Beach Hotel. It has 3 buildings, the main building and the smaller building. Both are on the beach. The other building is connected by walkway across the street and overlooks the Bahia Cabana hotel and restaurant and the marina. The Bahia Mar is just up the street and as the previous poster mentioned there are two buildings. Main building is much better as the other smaller building has one side that overlooks the parking lot and the other the marina. Not much around either but the Bahia Mar does have a small store at the entrance and is right across street from beach. I think if I had my choice I would go with the Bahia Mar if I was in the main building. Both are walkable to shops and restaurants and the Sun Trolley stops in front of both. If you use the Sun Trolley in one direction it will take you to the Harbor Shops with stores and restaurants, the other direction to the main area of the beach and multiple places to eat along with other shops.

Thanks Captain and AAREP for your responses. Leaning towards Bahia Mar....also like the idea of the water taxis!

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

The Water Taxi ticket is good for unlimited rides in a day, so we planned a day around that. We left the hotel and went to the Las Olas Blvd area to look the shops and lunch, then rode the water taxi around to see the sights and then back to the hotel. Then we cleaned up for dinner (It was our wedding anniversary) and then rode it to the farthest north stop and took a taxi from there to the restaurant that friends had recommended. then we took a taxi back to the Water Taxi stop and rode around for a while at night.

You're welcome!

The Water Taxi ticket is good for unlimited rides in a day, so we planned a day around that. We left the hotel and went to the Las Olas Blvd area to look the shops and lunch, then rode the water taxi around to see the sights and then back to the hotel. Then we cleaned up for dinner (It was our wedding anniversary) and then rode it to the farthest north stop and took a taxi from there to the restaurant that friends had recommended. then we took a taxi back to the Water Taxi stop and rode around for a while at night.

Hi Ron : I still consider myself somewhat new to cruising, the info and help I get from these threads have saved me a boat load :D of $$$ and made our experience that much more enjoyable! The restaurant that was recommended......any good? Always looking for a MUST go to restaurant.

Thanks Dennis

Hi Ron : I still consider myself somewhat new to cruising, the info and help I get from these threads have saved me a boat load :D of $$$ and made our experience that much more enjoyable! The restaurant that was recommended......any good? Always looking for a MUST go to restaurant.

Thanks Dennis

Glad to help, Dennis!

It was the Blue Moon Fish Company, and it was excellent. Not cheap, but excellent :D

http://bluemoonfishco.com/

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Ron_L

There are two room types in the tower bldg. at Bahia Mar. A full ocean view which is the most costly. Nice straight on ocean /beach view. But we actually prefer the cheaper version called partial ocean view. We ask for a south facing view. What we get then is a corner ( or close to it) room with a view to the ocean and down the coast towards Miami. Seems we see more activity...and money in the pocket for dinner and drinks at Bahia Cabana...a great little casual spot right on the marina a block and a half down. We never miss it.:D

Spoke to Bahia Mar a few days ago. They advised, I believe, that the Marina rooms/building were undergoing renovations and that floors 4, 3, and I think 2 were finished. This building renovations were supposed to be finished by November of 2015. But they did seem to indicate that renovations in the tower rooms and lobby would not start until May 2016 and they did not have at this time any idea of when they would be finished.

Spoke to Bahia Mar a few days ago. They advised, I believe, that the Marina rooms/building were undergoing renovations and that floors 4, 3, and I think 2 were finished. This building renovations were supposed to be finished by November of 2015. But they did seem to indicate that renovations in the tower rooms and lobby would not start until May 2016 and they did not have at this time any idea of when they would be finished.

Thanks BrnBrok.....I called and booked our room last night and she was not to forthcoming with info on the reno's. Sound like it's still being worked on. She also said there was no fee to use the beach ???? Everyone else states otherwise.?? Waiting and see...

There are two room types in the tower bldg. at Bahia Mar. A full ocean view which is the most costly. Nice straight on ocean /beach view. But we actually prefer the cheaper version called partial ocean view. We ask for a south facing view. What we get then is a corner ( or close to it) room with a view to the ocean and down the coast towards Miami. Seems we see more activity...and money in the pocket for dinner and drinks at Bahia Cabana...a great little casual spot right on the marina a block and a half down. We never miss it.:D

Took your advise and purchased the partial ocean view, $$$$ left over for the water taxis :). Checked the taxis stops out thinking that could make for a good day!!

Thanks Dennis

Took your advise and purchased the partial ocean view, $$$$ left over for the water taxis :). Checked the taxis stops out thinking that could make for a good day!!

Thanks Dennis

Did you book as a Hilton honors member? That and using their MVP site to book usually cuts the rate.

Thanks BrnBrok.....I called and booked our room last night and she was not to forthcoming with info on the reno's. Sound like it's still being worked on. She also said there was no fee to use the beach ???? Everyone else states otherwise.?? Waiting and see...

The beach is public. There is no fee to use it. However, there is a charge to rent beach chairs and umbrellas according to a tripadvisor reviewer. I don't know if any of the beach area hotels have free beach loungers.

I would prefer the B Ocean in an oceanside building east of A1A.

I am now:D She signed me up on the phone at the time.

if you aren't booked in a nonrefundable room, check the rate on hiltonfamilymvp.com using your number and see if the rate is the same as you paid. if lower, rebook .;)

The beach is public. There is no fee to use it. However, there is a charge to rent beach chairs and umbrellas according to a tripadvisor reviewer. I don't know if any of the beach area hotels have free beach loungers.

I would prefer the B Ocean in an oceanside building east of A1A.

I've seen those nicer rooms going for much more than the Bahia Mar. We could get a crappy room at the B for what we could get in the tower at Bahia last time I looked. (We got a dog of a room in a back building a few years back.) Never again. The Bahia if a better value for us.

When the B was The Sheraton our first stay there was in the beach bldg which we did not like at all. The long hall out to beach was narrow and claustrophobic and our room was on left side with a volley ball game outside our window The view from right side was a wall of the bldg next door.

I've seen those nicer rooms going for much more than the Bahia Mar. We could get a crappy room at the B for what we could get in the tower at Bahia last time I looked. (We got a dog of a room in a back building a few years back.) Never again. The Bahia if a better value for us.

If you choose by price you can usually get the lowest price at Bahia Mar. With that said, I would only choose to stay in either of these 2 hotels if I was on a tight budget, as most of the big beach hotels are nicer IMO (Marriott Harbor Beach, Lago Mar, Atlantic, Ritz, W, Westin, Pelican) but more expensive.

Thanks for the info as I've been meaning to call and ask this as well. They do have a huge redevelopment project on the books, involving adding to the current tower, building a new tower and adding parking garage and convention centre space. I kind of figured the Marina building would disappear during that project, but wouldn't make sense to renovate them now if they were planning to get rid of the building soon. We are booked in a tower room (also partial oceanview) for January, and now our inlaws are going to come spend a couple days with us before the cruise, so I'm going to book them into the Marina building (they have a small dog so probably easier for them to deal with over there than the tower). As for beachfront, I'm fine with walking across the bridge, if we actually spend any time on the beach. Florida in January can be very hit and miss as far as beach time goes.

If you choose by price you can usually get the lowest price at Bahia Mar. With that said, I would only choose to stay in either of these 2 hotels if I was on a tight budget, as most of the big beach hotels are nicer IMO (Marriott Harbor Beach, Lago Mar, Atlantic, Ritz, W, Westin, Pelican) but more expensive.

Normally we do spend a little more to get a little nicer place.....but... with the CND $$$:mad: we've been trying to make our cuts where we can. Also going in with that mine set sometime cushions the blow :D

Dennis

Normally we do spend a little more to get a little nicer place.....but... with the CND $$$:mad: we've been trying to make our cuts where we can. Also going in with that mine set sometime cushions the blow :D

Dennis

The hotels mentioned by royalcruz are indeed nicer than the Bahia Mar, which is a moderate beach hotel. The others mentioned will easily run $100 or more a night. We find Bahia a good fit for our precruise stays. We aren't going to use the pool or restaurants in the hotel. We prefer to be out and about and still have a view of the beach/ocean when we are in for the overnight/s. And since our first night traditionally is drinks and a meal down the street at Bahia Cabana, it's a nobrainer.

Edited by eandj