Jewel of the Seas - Oct. 3

msvickyes

We just returned from the Jewel of the Seas Pacific Coastal Cruise on Oct. 3-10, 2015. I thought I would post a quick review to answer questions I have seen raised here.

We originally booked an oceanside cabin. We changed that to Balcony Guarantee in July. We received our assignment about 2 weeks later. We were assigned adjoining balcony cabins on deck 9. We paid base $791 per person which was less than we had originally paid. We received the difference back to our credit card.

Check in - Quite an ordeal. Took about 3 hours, but I figured I have waited almost that long for a ride at disneyland for a 3 minute ride and this was for an 8 day cruise, so I was good The lines looked equally long for each category. We ended up having to wait in line to check our luggage. Then we waited in chairs to be allowed to wait in line. Then in line, we dragged a chair with us so my mom could sit during the hour long wait. Then we waited in line for security. We were able to bring on a case of water and our two bottles of wine without question. We did chat with those around us and developed friendships that lasted throughout the cruise.

We did take our wine to dinner each night which they served without a corkage fee.

Our luggage was delivered before the early seating for dinner and our beds were separated while we were at dinner. Plenty of room for everything in the cabin and I brought ALOT of shoes so that is saying something.

We had OBC which showed up the evening of the second day.

Santa Barbara Tender - again, quite a wait and a line. It was raining in Santa Barbara and everything was slippery on the tender. Two people on our tender fell while boarding. 1 of them had to be carried off when we got back to the ship as he had injured his knee. 1 man spent most of his time in line complaining bitterly about Royal and how he would never cruise with them again. That made it very uncomfortable for everyone in line. The staff just kept smiling and apologizing. I thought the staff were amazing under difficult circumstances.

Monterey Tender - Much quicker and no line. Beautiful weather and beautiful port.

Meal Service - We had dinner in the MDR each night and loved the service and the food. We had most lunches in the Windjammer. Loved the outdoor seating. Also, I would definitely recommend Chocolate Breakfast in the MDR. It was on day 7 on our cruise. We had coffee and juice delivered each morning. We scheduled it for 6:30-7:00 and it almost always came a littlle early.

San Francisco - hop on hop off bus tour. We booked that for 2 days. It is a 2 hour loop but only goes one way. We stayed on the full loop and just got off at the Golden Gate Bridge. The second day we would have liked to go to a couple of stops, but it would have meant doing the full loop again to get back to the ship so we had to taxi back. We really enjoyed Pier 39. They have the biggest chocolate store I have ever seen. Don't miss it!

Ensenada - We just did main street for about an hour and then went back to the ship and spent the day at the pool.

Shows - We went to the song/dance shows. Very talented performers. We were disappointed in the Broadway review show. We didn't know many of the songs they performed and would have enjoyed it more if they were from more popular shows.

Shopping - typical watch sale, purses sale, t-shirt sale. I did win the drawing for a pearl necklace so that made it all worthwhile.

Jewel - lovely ship. Best part was all the windows which included glass elevators. Beautiful. I figured out most of the layout by day 6. Just in time to get off the ship!

We had an absolutely fantastic time and can't wait to cruise Royal again.

Wondering if you know if a designated Diamond/Concierge Lounge is available. Also flat screen tvs in cabins...?? Ship is due for dry dock soon so I am wondering if the specialtys are Chops and Portifinos....

Is/Are wine packages and also Dinner packages available when you get on board?

Many Thanks..

Wondering if you know if a designated Diamond/Concierge Lounge is available. Also flat screen tvs in cabins...?? Ship is due for dry dock soon so I am wondering if the specialtys are Chops and Portifinos....

Many Thanks..

Jewel has a Concierge Lounge, but no Diamond Lounge until dry dock.

Jewel has a Concierge Lounge, but no Diamond Lounge until dry dock.

The Viking Crown/Vortex lounge was used for the Diamond cocktail hour each evening from 5:00-8:30 on our September 18th sailing. Drinks and appetizers were served.

The Viking Crown/Vortex lounge was used for the Diamond cocktail hour each evening from 5:00-8:30 on our September 18th sailing. Drinks and appetizers were served.

Thanks, I had heard they were hosting a cocktail houir for Diamonds. Is there any place for Diamonds to get free specialty coffee 24 hours?

You did reply to YAYA that there were wine packages on board. We will

be sailing on the JEWEL from San Juan on Nov.8. Are these packages for

a selection of wine by the bottle or by the Glass.? If bottles, can you drink

it anywhere on the ship or just in the dining room.? Sorry to be a pest but

we do like to have a glass of wine on our balcony. Also, Do you have any

idea of the prices.

Thanks a lot

Thanks, I had heard they were hosting a cocktail houir for Diamonds. Is there any place for Diamonds to get free specialty coffee 24 hours?

I was on this cruise as well.

We had use of the Vortex from 5 - 8:30 every evening as a Diamond Lounge, but no place to get 24-hour free specialty coffee as on other ships with a dedicated Diamond Lounge.

Also, I didn't see the 3 nightly drinks loaded on to our Seapass cards as I had on other cruises.

Also, they are not serving cookies at Cafe Latte-tudes anymore. Apparently, this is/will be a fleet-wide thing.

Have to get your cookie fix at the Windjammer :p

Edited by ASeaPrincess1

We had use of the Vortex from 5 - 8:30 every evening as a Diamond Lounge, but no place to get 24-hour free specialty coffee as on other ships with a dedicated Diamond Lounge.

Also, I didn't see the 3 nightly drinks loaded on to our Seapass cards as I had on other cruises.

Also, they are not serving cookies at Cafe Latte-tudes anymore. Apparently, this is/will be a fleet-wide thing.

We went to the Vortex each night and also had the 3 nightly drinks loaded on our Seapass card. We usually had 2 drinks at the Vortex before dinner and then stopped at the Schooner bar and had an after dinner drink using the Seapass card. We also didn't see complimentary specialty coffee in the lounge.

We went to the Vortex each night and also had the 3 nightly drinks loaded on our Seapass card. We usually had 2 drinks at the Vortex before dinner and then stopped at the Schooner bar and had an after dinner drink using the Seapass card. We also didn't see complimentary specialty coffee in the lounge.

Just wondering, since I didn't see it listed on the Diamond Onboard Savings page. Usually it states that, but since my copy didn't this time, I never checked it out. What we learn after the fact..........:cool:

We didn't get the wine packages so I can't answer your questions. We did bring 4 bottles on board between our two rooms so we just brought our own bottle to the dining room. The other nights we ordered wine by the glass. It was about $7 per glass and we each had one buy one get one coupon on our sea pass cards.

Was Danny still the bartender up there? He was ours on the trip from Vancouver to la.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also on this cruise.

9576 had a flat screen TV. :)

3 drinks on our sea pass nightly, Vortex very crowded every night.

Confusion on Moscato wine being or not being available at Diamond event.

Didn't see any Coconut Ranger cookies in WJ. :(

Anyone inquiring about Coke Freestyle machine on the Jewel...YES left side in the WJ.

Also on this cruise.

9576 had a flat screen TV. :)

3 drinks on our sea pass nightly, Vortex very crowded every night.

Confusion on Moscato wine being or not being available at Diamond event.

Didn't see any Coconut Ranger cookies in WJ. :(

Anyone inquiring about Coke Freestyle machine on the Jewel...YES left side in the WJ.

The Coconut Ranger cookies went fast!

We didn't get the wine packages so I can't answer your questions. We did bring 4 bottles on board between our two rooms so we just brought our own bottle to the dining room. The other nights we ordered wine by the glass. It was about $7 per glass and we each had one buy one get one coupon on our sea pass cards.

Thanks for the info. We can try to do the same.

Many Thanks..

Not all cabins have flat screen. We were in an inside (3081) and it had the old picture tube type TV.

As for specialty coffee, if there was a place for Diamonds I didn't know of it. Half way through the first week the young lady in Cafe Latte-tudes knew me by first name. :p

As for specialty coffee, if there was a place for Diamonds I didn't know of it. Half way through the first week the young lady in Cafe Latte-tudes knew me by first name. :p

They have a diamond breakfast in the left front side of the dining room and you can get speciality coffee there if you are diamond or diamond plus.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD