Drinks package upgrade.

caddie1

We have free Allegrissmo drinks package for our Xmas cruise on Fantasia. Can We upgrade to premium on the ship and can just one of us do this? I may want to do this solely because of the ottled beers on the Premium.

I'm afraid the answer is: Yes, you can upgrade, but you'll pay full price and No - both of you must have the same package.

This situation is a particular gripe of mine as we both get the premium even though my DH gets little value from it as he drinks draught beer. He doesn't even use anything from the mini-bar although it's included.

However, while I can understand the reasoning behind both having to have the same package (eg - access to minibar and free room-service menu on premium from which both cabin occupants can benefit) I don't know why they don't facilitate a package upgrade for the difference in price.

I have a cruise booked next year which includes the basic package and am miffed that I'd have to pay the full price for the premium if I want the upgrade. I sent an email through my TA on 14th September last asking if I could upgrade and only pay the difference. I've yet to receive an acknowledgement, let alone an answer! It's a 24 night cruise with the drinks package already calculated into the cost so an upgrade would be an extra €1008 to MSC were they to allow me pay the difference. I certainly won't be upgrading for the full cost of €2112, that's for sure!

I'm afraid the answer is: Yes, you can upgrade, but you'll pay full price and No - both of you must have the same package.

This situation is a particular gripe of mine as we both get the premium even though my DH gets little value from it as he drinks draught beer. He doesn't even use anything from the mini-bar although it's included.

However, while I can understand the reasoning behind both having to have the same package (eg - access to minibar and free room-service menu on premium from which both cabin occupants can benefit) I don't know why they don't facilitate a package upgrade for the difference in price.

I have a cruise booked next year which includes the basic package and am miffed that I'd have to pay the full price for the premium if I want the upgrade. I sent an email through my TA on 14th September last asking if I could upgrade and only pay the difference. I've yet to receive an acknowledgement, let alone an answer! It's a 24 night cruise with the drinks package already calculated into the cost so an upgrade would be an extra €1008 to MSC were they to allow me pay the difference. I certainly won't be upgrading for the full cost of €2112, that's for sure!

Thanks for that. I only inquired because although I only drink beer I sometimes prefer a bottle rather than draft. My wife only drinks Brandy and Wine so her package should be fine for her. So I think I would just buy the odd bottle of beer when I fancy a change from draft.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just come back from the Preciosa and paid for my drinks package directly to them. When I realised that this year lots of drinks were now not included I asked if I could pay to upgrade to premium and they refused on board. It seems crazy as they would have received an extra 300 euros got the week. MSC are not very flexible.