Carnival Journeys Formal Nights

Fairway Cruiser

2 Elegant Nights and 1 Formal Night.

Elegant nights are the same. Formal night according to JH is as follows:

Old-style formal night: The captain, chief engineers and hotel director will be dressed in white tuxedo uniforms and will stand at the entrance of the main lounge where the cruise director (me on the two Carnival Dream cruises) will introduce guests to them; they will have a photo with the captain and then go into the main lounge. There they will be given complimentary drinks as we used to make back in the 1980’s and they will dance to the orchestra who will be playing Glen Miller and the sounds of big band. Each guest sailing on our Carnival Journeys will receive an e-mail invitation where we will invite them to wear tuxedos and flowing ball gowns. Although this will not be mandatory, of course, but I expect many will do so.

Old-style formal night: The captain, chief engineers and hotel director will be dressed in white tuxedo uniforms and will stand at the entrance of the main lounge where the cruise director (me on the two Carnival Dream cruises) will introduce guests to them; they will have a photo with the captain and then go into the main lounge. There they will be given complimentary drinks as we used to make back in the 1980’s and they will dance to the orchestra who will be playing Glen Miller and the sounds of big band. Each guest sailing on our Carnival Journeys will receive an e-mail invitation where we will invite them to wear tuxedos and flowing ball gowns. Although this will not be mandatory, of course, but I expect many will do so.

Wow! Love it!

And how does "formal" night differ from "elegant" night?

There were a lot more tuxes on "formal" night compared to the two other "elegant" nights. However, formal night shared the same night as #ThrowbackSeaDay, so you had an additional number of folks who decked out in all-80's gear. (Typical 80's getup: loud neon workout sweaters for the ladies, leather rocker gear for the guys.)

For dinner some people changed out of their 80s gear and into their formals, but there was a handful who stayed 80's clad all night.

Wow! I am so looking forward to seeing all of the beautiful dresses and tuxes. It was always so elegant and fun! I wish it wasn't on the 80s night, because I was going to do " big teased hair." Now that I think about it, Halloween is coming, and I might can find an 80s wig. I can't wait to see some pictures of the 80s outfits. I'm so excited. "Yeah, let the Journeys reports roll!" :)

I am booked on 2 Journey cruises and am not pulling my old evening gowns out of the closet. I will take dress slacks and sparkly tops, but those all-out formal nights are gone for me. I enjoy my cruises so much more without spending the time, money and energy on getting my formal wear together. And panty hose? Not!

• Like 1

Has this been advertised? I haven't seen this before, and I can see people on board the ship not knowing about it.

I am booked on 2 Journey cruises and am not pulling my old evening gowns out of the closet. I will take dress slacks and sparkly tops, but those all-out formal nights are gone for me. I enjoy my cruises so much more without spending the time, money and energy on getting my formal wear together. And panty hose? Not!

We have a 9 day Journey cruise booked next August and I totally agree with you on this.

We have a 9 day Journey cruise booked next August and I totally agree with you on this.

We're doing two Journeys B2B for a total of 21 days. I promise to be presentable on elegant nights, but that's it. We do have to fly and can take only so much stuff. Enough with formal nights already.

Pretty sure it will be 6 total for the 21 days. 2 elegant and 1 formal on the ten day, and the same again on the 11 day, making it 6.

I love it! I always take evening gowns any ways.:D

I did 10 days on the Triumph in Feb (San Juan to Galveston) and we had 2 elegant nights. But I know they are changing things up for the Journeys. No problem, it's all optional. Have fun with it!

We will be on the 14 day Journey's cruise on the Pride in March. DH has never worn a tux. We will be bringing a suit jacket, dress shirt & tie for those formal/elegant dinners for him (or use the buffet). I'll just wear black dress slacks & nice top (no hose for me either, I'm retired). Will that be sufficient for us to wear on those evenings? I may get 2 dinners out of him getting dressed up.

We will be on the 14 day Journey's cruise on the Pride in March. DH has never worn a tux. We will be bringing a suit jacket, dress shirt & tie for those formal/elegant dinners for him (or use the buffet). I'll just wear black dress slacks & nice top (no hose for me either, I'm retired). Will that be sufficient for us to wear on those evenings? I may get 2 dinners out of him getting dressed up.

You'll be just fine. The folks that dress to the nines will be the exception.

Hose? Do they still sell them? Haven't purchased or worn those contraptions in years!

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed it saids that they will e-mail all guests on a Carnival Journeys cruise. Do they do this before the cruise? We never have our phones on when we cruise.

Oh, crap! That means 5 of them on our 21 day itinerary.

And at least 2 free drink parties....

We will be with you on the 2nd one.

I can't let me wife see these posts, as she will want me to take the tux.

I have one that I wear all the time to Masonic meetings.

Howard

Was a dress shirt, tie and dress slacks acceptable for men for the captain's free drink reception?

Elegant night attire is all that's needed For Captain's reception. No tie needed. I was on the first Journey cruise for 21 days. Just wore the minimum on the six elegant nights. There were some tuxes and some suits and some ties. Maybe half had one of those combinations and the other half were more casual.

My guess is that they will rethink the extra elegant (80's) night. It's really not necessary. It would be better to encourage dressing in 80's attire and forget the elegant, IMHO.