Costa questions

jimbug

Thinking about booking the Magica Western Caribbean trip in March...actually about 24 hours away from doing it! :-) But, first, I've got a few questions about Costa that I couldn't really find answers to anywhere else...

1. When do you book Costa shore excursions? Is there a way to do so before boarding the ship, or do you just do it once onboard?

2. Does Costa have a self-assist debarkation at the end of the cruise? Flight home from FLL is at noon, so trying to get there asap!

3. Does the Magica have an alternative dining venue (i.e., surcharge restaurant, not buffet)? If so, is the menu primarily seafood like Princess or is it more fabulous steaks/surf & turf like Carnival?

4. Has anyone used Costa's pre-cruise hotel program in FLL? We're planning to use them for the Sheraton Yankee Trader, and like the idea of the pre-arranged transport to the pier. Are they very organized, and how is the luggage dealt with? Do they take care of it from the hotel, or do we still have to schlep it to the port?

5. Does Costa have an afternoon "high tea" in the Caribbean? (One of our favorite things on Princess!)

6. How are the daytime activities onboard? We regularly enjoy attending classes, trivia games, ceramics, etc. Does Costa offer the typical shipboard fare, or is it very different from other lines?

7. One last question--do you "pre-register" online or by mail/fax? On our other cruises, we inputted our credit card info, passport info, etc. prior to the cruise online (but had the option to do on on paper by mail or fax.)

Thanks for all your help, and I greatly appreciate your input!

Thinking about booking the Magica Western Caribbean trip in March...actually about 24 hours away from doing it! :-) But, first, I've got a few questions about Costa that I couldn't really find answers to anywhere else...

1. When do you book Costa shore excursions? Is there a way to do so before boarding the ship, or do you just do it once onboard?

2. Does Costa have a self-assist debarkation at the end of the cruise? Flight home from FLL is at noon, so trying to get there asap!

3. Does the Magica have an alternative dining venue (i.e., surcharge restaurant, not buffet)? If so, is the menu primarily seafood like Princess or is it more fabulous steaks/surf & turf like Carnival?

4. Has anyone used Costa's pre-cruise hotel program in FLL? We're planning to use them for the Sheraton Yankee Trader, and like the idea of the pre-arranged transport to the pier. Are they very organized, and how is the luggage dealt with? Do they take care of it from the hotel, or do we still have to schlep it to the port?

5. Does Costa have an afternoon "high tea" in the Caribbean? (One of our favorite things on Princess!)

6. How are the daytime activities onboard? We regularly enjoy attending classes, trivia games, ceramics, etc. Does Costa offer the typical shipboard fare, or is it very different from other lines?

7. One last question--do you "pre-register" online or by mail/fax? On our other cruises, we inputted our credit card info, passport info, etc. prior to the cruise online (but had the option to do on on paper by mail or fax.)

I NEVER BEEN ON MAGICA,WE TOOK ATLANTICA,BUT THEY SHOULD BE THE SAME.

SHORE EXCURSIONS DO IT ON BOARD,YOU WILL HAVE THE FORM IN YOUR CABIN,FILL IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE,TO AVOID LINE UP AFTER.THEY ALL HAVE SURCHARGE RESTAURANTS.AFTERNOON TEA WAS THE BEST PART.DAY TIME ACTIVITIES .....WELL WE HAD NO TIME TO GO TO AFTERNOON NAP:D

On the Costa cruises I've been on we were hardly on board during the day so there is no time for 'daytime activities'. They do have dance classes round the pool which are fun. If you do a seven-day cruise, you basically sail at night and spend the days in port but of course you can choose to stay on board. Go to the meeting on the first day that gives you more information about the excursions then book the ones you want as soon as possible.

Thanks for your responses...I sent an email to my TA today saying "book us on the Magica!" So hopefully by Monday I will be official! I'm really looking forward to trying this trip, and let me tell you why...on my past cruises (including the Carnival Liberty trip I was about to take instead of the Magica), I researched them to death and by the time I got onboard, there was no "surprise" left. THat probably sounds kind of weird, but what I mean is my first cruise was partly so exciting because I didn't know what would be on the menu each night or exactly what the Princess Patters had in store for us each day, etc. We are still 6 months out from next cruise, and I already knew just about everything regarding the Liberty. Fortunately, there is not much to be found about Costa, so I am excited in that regard. I am making myself stop researching these things to death--just ask the questions like I did above, research my ports, and stop there! :-)

Archived