MITSUGIRLY BREAKAWAY's 1 last time for the year-review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Good morning,

I am new to this website. I really enjoyed reading your post. I am set for my first BA cruise in May to Bermuda, and have a couple of quick questions....hopefully I didn't miss these and if I did, I apologize. How much did the bus passes cost? I don't want to pay for excursions if we can do the beaches by taking buses for cheaper. The agent I booked the trip through told me the UBP is all inclusive and we prepaid grats...so he said we wouldn't be charged anything extra in port....is this true? I thought I read in your post while docked they charged extra fees?? Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you find some helpful information around here.

You can buy bus/ferry passes (good for both) for 1, 2 or 3 day passes depending on when you plan on using them. The prices as of last year are as follows:

fares-L.jpg

The UBP is a beverage package that is offered on the ship (NCL) and has nothing to do with being on the island in port. When you are in port, where you decide to go and what you decide to do will all be extra. So, if you visit a beach or a fort, if you decide to eat and drink there, you pay the vendor. When you drink on the ship, that's where you UBP comes into play.

The gratuities are the same. That is for the ship and has nothing to do with the island of Bermuda. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you find some helpful information around here.

You can buy bus/ferry passes (good for both) for 1, 2 or 3 day passes depending on when you plan on using them. The prices as of last year are as follows:

fares-L.jpg

The UBP is a beverage package that is offered on the ship (NCL) and has nothing to do with being on the island in port. When you are in port, where you decide to go and what you decide to do will all be extra. So, if you visit a beach or a fort, if you decide to eat and drink there, you pay the vendor. When you drink on the ship, that's where you UBP comes into play.

The gratuities are the same. That is for the ship and has nothing to do with the island of Bermuda. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Thank you for the bus fees, that is awesome!! I should have been more specific in regards to the UBP and I apologize for the confusion. While we are in port in NYC and we order drinks with the promotion, will we have to pay extra taxes or grats? The rep is telling me no but I thought I read somewhere we do have to pay extra. Thanks again for all your help and responding so quickly, I appreciate it.

Thank you for the bus fees, that is awesome!! I should have been more specific in regards to the UBP and I apologize for the confusion. While we are in port in NYC and we order drinks with the promotion, will we have to pay extra taxes or grats? The rep is telling me no but I thought I read somewhere we do have to pay extra. Thanks again for all your help and responding so quickly, I appreciate it.

Oh, so sorry. I misunderstood and was confused. Yes, when you are still in port, you will have to pay the taxes on any drinks you get. In reality, it's really not that much and still worth it to have a few bon-voyage drinks until you pull out. :) (Or at least for us). :D

, i just wanted to thank you for all of your hard work on the reviews that you have done. my family and i have spent hours reading just about every review that you have done and love everyone of them. we will be cruising on the Dawn 3/27 cruise to the carribean. i feel that we are good experienced travelers with good common sense but we have always booked our excursions through the cruise line thinking that was the safe secure way which it probably is but we pay a premium for that and lose time at every port, but after reading your extensive reviews we have decided to venture out on our own!!! your reviews of Chankanaab, LFK, and Blue Kay has us sold and we are looking forward to seeing these places for ourselves!! thanks again

Oh, so sorry. I misunderstood and was confused. Yes, when you are still in port, you will have to pay the taxes on any drinks you get. In reality, it's really not that much and still worth it to have a few bon-voyage drinks until you pull out. :) (Or at least for us). :D

Thank you again for all your help!

, i just wanted to thank you for all of your hard work on the reviews that you have done. my family and i have spent hours reading just about every review that you have done and love everyone of them. we will be cruising on the Dawn 3/27 cruise to the carribean. i feel that we are good experienced travelers with good common sense but we have always booked our excursions through the cruise line thinking that was the safe secure way which it probably is but we pay a premium for that and lose time at every port, but after reading your extensive reviews we have decided to venture out on our own!!! your reviews of Chankanaab, LFK, and Blue Kay has us sold and we are looking forward to seeing these places for ourselves!! thanks again

Woo hoo! Congrats on getting the courage to adventure out on your own. Seriously, it's easily done and a great way to experience things cheaper, with added time, and places that the cruise lines don't go to.

I think you have picked some great and super easy places to do on your own. You will be fine. :)

The places you mentioned is the typical Western side Caribbean ports...but you seem to be missing Belize. Is it on this iteneray? What...you don't want to swim with the sharks this time around? :eek: :D :p Just kidding with you.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time! Come back and let me know how it goes.

Thank you again for all your help!

You are very welcome. :)

Woo hoo! Congrats on getting the courage to adventure out on your own. Seriously, it's easily done and a great way to experience things cheaper, with added time, and places that the cruise lines don't go to.

I think you have picked some great and super easy places to do on your own. You will be fine. :)

The places you mentioned is the typical Western side Caribbean ports...but you seem to be missing Belize. Is it on this iteneray? What...you don't want to swim with the sharks this time around? :eek: :D :p Just kidding with you.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time! Come back and let me know how it goes.

You are very welcome. :)

we do have Belize on the itinerary but probably foolishly we are planning on Harvest Cay being open. we cruise on Mar 27 and its supposed to be open in February, i have read all the reviews from others saying they have no confidence in it being open but we are keeping our fingers crossed.. if its not open what would you suggest?? also can we pre book Chankanaab, and Blue Kay or just pay when we get there??

we do have Belize on the itinerary but probably foolishly we are planning on Harvest Cay being open. we cruise on Mar 27 and its supposed to be open in February, i have read all the reviews from others saying they have no confidence in it being open but we are keeping our fingers crossed.. if its not open what would you suggest?? also can we pre book Chankanaab, and Blue Kay or just pay when we get there??

Mitsugirly, never mind, i reread a couple of your reviews, i know or at least am hopeful that Blue Kay is still free minus food and drink, and then i read about your trip with the sharks which sounds really exciting. thank you again for all of your reviews.

Mitsugirly, never mind, i reread a couple of your reviews, i know or at least am hopeful that Blue Kay is still free minus food and drink, and then i read about your trip with the sharks which sounds really exciting. thank you again for all of your reviews.

No need to pre-book Chankanaab or Blue Kay. No worries. :D

Love your reviews. Trying to upload my photos for a review but keep getting notice the size is too large how do you upload your photos?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Glad you enjoy the reviews.

I have a SmugMug account and just simply upload my pictures to there. When you go to post on here, it (my SmugMug) gives you the option of the size you want to use. :) It may vary with who you use.

Thanks for the informative review Kim :)

I have been reading it over the past few days and it's been great. All of your reviews certainly help us plan future cruises in the US.

Kerry :)

Why thank you very much Kerry. I appreciate the compliments. Glad you found them helpful. :)

Mitsugirly,

I admit I didn't read this whole review, but I've read many of your reviews. (Love!) We have never been on Norwegian. Considering it for 2018. Could you recommend your favorite ship?

[We've done Celebrity, Carnival (loved the Breeze if that helps with your recommendation), soon going on Oasis of the Seas & Disney's Magic but haven't experienced them so can't compare either to the Breeze.]

Thanks in advance! :)

O-M-GEE! I am sitting here trying to decide between the NCL Epic and the NCL Escape for the Week of Nov 12th and I happen to notice that you are sailing the Epic on that week......Last time we sailed with you, I didn't get a chance to say Hi.....I might be leaning more towards the Epic now.

The only thing that was on my mind was thinking we might want to take our whole crew in March 2017 and the Orlando area is within driving distance. For Nov, we are only taking our littlest little.

Decisions, decisions!

Mitsugirly,

I admit I didn't read this whole review, but I've read many of your reviews. (Love!) We have never been on Norwegian. Considering it for 2018. Could you recommend your favorite ship?

[We've done Celebrity, Carnival (loved the Breeze if that helps with your recommendation), soon going on Oasis of the Seas & Disney's Magic but haven't experienced them so can't compare either to the Breeze.]

Thanks in advance!

That's ok if you didn't read it all...I know not everyone has that much of a dedicated time slot to go over my lengthy reviews. :p I completely understand and "try" to keep things grouped together for those that are just skimming for information or pictures.

Well, to date, my favorite NCL ship would be the Epic. But as I have said many times before, many factors went into this decision and honestly, I'm not sure if that was the reason or not. For one, it was the first time I had cruised again for about 12 years. So, a lot of things had changed including cruising itself and the ship. It was so loaded with so much to see and do and this just amazed me. It was also my husbands very first cruise ever and he was like a child in a candy store. Third (not really good but...) we sailed alone that cruise without our munchkin (who was 2 at the time and I felt too young). Fourth..OUR ROLL CALL WAS AMAZING!! Seriously! To date the best roll call ever. We were all very active talking prior to the cruise and I made so many friends on that cruise that I still talk to today. We send Christmas cards, presents, call each other, and I have even cruised again with some. It was just an amazing group of people! Then there was Blue Man...I had always wanted to see them and it sealed the deal for me with my booking.

So...it's honestly hard to say that all those factors is what caused it to be my favorite so far or not. I'm going to be cruising the Epic again this year and I know there have been a lot of changes since 2010. It will be interesting to see if I still feel the same about her this time around. Only time will tell.

I'm honestly a person that believes a cruise is what you make of it. A lot of factors play into how you feel about it. The weather, your company, the ports and what you did in them. My second favorite cruise was probably on the Sun...for all the factors above. The things we did in port just blew me away. The weather was perfect. It was just the 3 of us. We got an extra surprise by cruising with the Furries on that cruise, which was a treat, especially for our young daughter. :)

SO..... looking at your list of cruising and what you will be cruising. I would suggest the mega ships that's along the line with the Breeze or Oasis. (We are going to be on the Breeze in another 65 days and CAN NOT WAIT!) For NCL, you are looking at the Epic (which just do your research and make sure you are aware of the wavy balcony rooms, the frosted shower and bathroom doors and such, also they do not have the sports court with the ropes course), Getaway, Breakaway and the new Escape. (I have not been on the Escape yet, so can't comment on it, but I can only imagine just how fabulous it is).

O-M-GEE! I am sitting here trying to decide between the NCL Epic and the NCL Escape for the Week of Nov 12th and I happen to notice that you are sailing the Epic on that week......Last time we sailed with you, I didn't get a chance to say Hi.....I might be leaning more towards the Epic now.

The only thing that was on my mind was thinking we might want to take our whole crew in March 2017 and the Orlando area is within driving distance. For Nov, we are only taking our littlest little.

Decisions, decisions!

WELL HELLO THERE! I remember you! So sorry we didn't get to meet last time. I can't imagine there was someone that I missed. That roll call was "Epic"!!! I would so love to meet you this time around if you decided to book. DO IT DO IT DO IT! :D How old is the littlest now? Sakari is...well will be, 8 at the time of our Epic cruise. She has never let me live it down that we went on this ship without her. Every time we are in port by the Epic it's all she talks about. I have a rule to never sail the same ship more than once and I am breaking the rules for her. She is going to get her Epic cruise and I expect to never hear about it again after this! :p I have been hoping and praying the Epic would return back to the US and the minute I heard she is coming back, I've been researching. It's even better that Nov 12th is the hubbys birthday...so why not? :D

I hope you see you on there. :)

**edit** Whoops! I was thinking you were on the Epic with me. But I remember now, you were on the Jewel December cruise right? I'm thinking I met your kids but not you? I'm trying to remember...it's been so many cruises ago...LOL

Edited by mitsugirly

I think we should start a sticky thread that is just your recommendations and a general blog about your musings on cruise travel! I'm looking at the Epic again too, but the week after you! I went on her in 2011 with just my husband and am now thinking of going on her again with my whole brood (sons age 13, 12 and 7 at time of sailing). It was cold when we went on her before, but I think with the slides and everything else, there will be plenty for my boys even without the ropes course. You think? I know you were on her when it was warm before, so any insight there would be appreciated! Can't wait to read your next review of the Breeze. TIA!

OT a bit - but any idea why some of the links in your signature don't work anymore? I'm looking at the Costa Maya ones... :(

We are doing Western Caribbean in May. I have all our days figured out except Costa Maya.

Hmm, I just clicked on every one of them and they all work for me. :confused: What happens when you click on them?

I HIGHLY recommend Blue Kay for Costa Maya if you are not looking for an AI to go to. Jump on the $3 bus, first stop, no reservation or fees to get in and it's a HUGE beach...first on the Malecon. The food is priced good and tasted good. All 3 of us went there and drank (both alcohol and soda) and ate when we wanted and never went over $50 total. The beach was beautiful and the water was too. It had some decent snorkeling from shore in fairly shallow water too. :)

I think we should start a sticky thread that is just your recommendations and a general blog about your musings on cruise travel! I'm looking at the Epic again too, but the week after you! I went on her in 2011 with just my husband and am now thinking of going on her again with my whole brood (sons age 13, 12 and 7 at time of sailing). It was cold when we went on her before, but I think with the slides and everything else, there will be plenty for my boys even without the ropes course. You think? I know you were on her when it was warm before, so any insight there would be appreciated! Can't wait to read your next review of the Breeze. TIA!

I actually started working on a blog...about a year ago. I spent forever just getting it set up and starting to add the hotels on it. Then I got busy again and now I'm back in school again. I just don't have to time to finish it. Maybe some day...when I retire. :eek: :p LOL

I think the Epic was an awesome ship and the water slides...we had so much fun on them! I think the boys will have a blast. It makes it so much better when you are sailing from a warm port and can make use of them.

WELL HELLO THERE! I remember you! So sorry we didn't get to meet last time. I can't imagine there was someone that I missed. That roll call was "Epic"!!! I would so love to meet you this time around if you decided to book. DO IT DO IT DO IT! :D How old is the littlest now? Sakari is...well will be, 8 at the time of our Epic cruise. She has never let me live it down that we went on this ship without her. Every time we are in port by the Epic it's all she talks about. I have a rule to never sail the same ship more than once and I am breaking the rules for her. She is going to get her Epic cruise and I expect to never hear about it again after this! :p I have been hoping and praying the Epic would return back to the US and the minute I heard she is coming back, I've been researching. It's even better that Nov 12th is the hubbys birthday...so why not? :D

I hope you see you on there. :)

**edit** Whoops! I was thinking you were on the Epic with me. But I remember now, you were on the Jewel December cruise right? I'm thinking I met your kids but not you? I'm trying to remember...it's been so many cruises ago...LOL

Yes it was the Jewel. You have a great memory. I saw you once but was too "star struck" to chat. I just booked the Epic for Nov 12th so I WILL talk to you this time!! We are only bringing one kid this time and he will be 6. I'm hoping he will do the kids club because he didn't do it on the Jewel and our last cruise was on Carnival and I think he went for maybe an hour the whole cruise. He will be a bit older this time so I am hoping he will want to go some.

Yes it was the Jewel. You have a great memory. I saw you once but was too "star struck" to chat. I just booked the Epic for Nov 12th so I WILL talk to you this time!! We are only bringing one kid this time and he will be 6. I'm hoping he will do the kids club because he didn't do it on the Jewel and our last cruise was on Carnival and I think he went for maybe an hour the whole cruise. He will be a bit older this time so I am hoping he will want to go some.

LOL, oh yea I remember you telling me about being star stuck after the cruise. :p I seriously laughed and blushed. :o

Hopefully the little one will want to do the kids club. Sakari has a lot of fun there.

Such an awesome review! Thank you so much for this. I am traveling with 2 friends on the BA in June to Bermuda, and I have them both addicted to reading this as well! Having said that, I'd like to ask your opinion on a couple of things, if thats ok!

As I said, i'm traveling with 2 friends - one is not a great swimmer, and the other has knee problems and can not do an excessive amount of walking, or any strenuous walking, but can do a moderate amount as long as she can stop and rest when needed. With that info, what beach(es) would you recommend? We would like to get some snorkeling in, but where water is not too deep or too rough. None of us have really been snorkeling before so the quality of snorkeling isn't as important as the water to us. Also, I'd like to get to St George and Tobacco Bay, but again, am worried about the amount of walking that might be involved. I was in Bermuda in 2012 on a diverted cruise (from Sandy on the Gem) so I didn't get to experience it to its fullest extent. Tobacco Bay was full of sea weed and looked like a dump, so I would like to experience it in its full beauty, if possible!

I also have an off topic question for you, if thats ok! I have a 2yr old at home, and was curious at what age you started taking Sakari with you, and how she adjusted to the kids areas.

TIA for your help!!!