Jewel of the Seas - Internet question

derbytwo

I'm getting mixed information. Most of the things I've read say the Jewel has limited wifi onboard - only available in specific areas. Other sites say it's available everywhere. Anyone know the actual situation? I may need to do some work while onboard, mostly checking emails and downloading files. Would it be beneficial to bring my own prepaid mobile hotspot onboard? And does anyone have any suggestions as to which one will work "internationally"? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. -Debbie

I'm getting mixed information. Most of the things I've read say the Jewel has limited wifi onboard - only available in specific areas. Other sites say it's available everywhere. Anyone know the actual situation? I may need to do some work while onboard, mostly checking emails and downloading files. Would it be beneficial to bring my own prepaid mobile hotspot onboard? And does anyone have any suggestions as to which one will work "internationally"? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. -Debbie

Last I heard they were stringing the cables to implement pervasive WiFi. So the ship may be at an intermediate stage now.

With regard to a mobile hotspot, you would have to check with the carrier as to whether they cover ships at sea. The coverage plan (if any) for ships at sea is usually different than international coverage.

We just got off the Jewel after they redid the wifi wiring. I am happy to say we had wifi in our cabin at deck 10 midship. Others I know had wifi in an inside deck 3 cabin. You will probably get be able to get wifi in your room. :)

Last I heard they were stringing the cables to implement pervasive WiFi. So the ship may be at an intermediate stage now.

With regard to a mobile hotspot, you would have to check with the carrier as to whether they cover ships at sea. The coverage plan (if any) for ships at sea is usually different than international coverage.

We were on the 18 September 2015 sailing and during our Cruise they were starting the process of running the new cables.

Thank you all for your responses. I may just take my chances with the ship's wifi. The worst that will happen is I won't be able to get wifi in the cabin or on the balcony and I'll have a real vacation without work... :)