foreign currency

Sumar76

I will be on the Osaka to Beijing cruise, but will be in Tokyo 2 days early. How much US$ do you think I should have converted to use in Japan (for 2 days, hotel paid for, meals probably credit card)? Planning on taking a tour, which could go on credit card also, but need money to get from airport to hotel (limo bus for $45US? each), and to Bullet Train station wed. am, and also other incidentals around Japan.

Any suggestions on what currency (amt) to get for the rest of the trip?

I know there are those out there who have done this in the past. How did you handle it?

Thanks, Sue

That's a difficult question. Much will depend your your personal proclivities , what you like to purchase, whether you stray from the established tourist path, etc. Japan is not generally a credit card country, except they will be generally accepted at places like the hotels and restaurants that that cater to foreign tourists and business persons. There are a few ATMs around, but not many. Limo-bus ("Friendly Bus") from airport to hotel probably still takes credit cards; check at Narita when you get the bus ticket. Cabs will certainly not take credit cards. Note that some of the better department stores will take credit cards.

For cabs, get your hotel front desk or concierge to give you a piece of paper with your destination on a piece of paper to show the cabbie. Also, take several hotel cards to show any cabbie where to go when you are ready to return.

I guess that I would recommend at least $100 per day for spending money - lunches on your own, souvenirs, museum entrance fees, etc. Like I say, much depends on your tastes and what you plan to do with your time.

Archived