What to do till our flight

MeredithNC

Just ticketed our flight home from the Valor July 3rd. It doesn't leave till 7:00pm. Trying to decide what to do. Should we rent a car? Is there enough time to drive over to Disney market place and shop? Worried about it being July 4th weekend. Maybe stay around port Canaveral and find a great place for lunch. If anyone has rented a car near the port please let me know approximately how long it took from getting off the ship to actually getting the car. Also if anyone is familiar with port Canaveral and has some suggestions on what to do I would appreciate it.

You can visit Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center or even one of the theme park/water parks in Orlando (though with the Orlando theme parks you likely won't get to experience everything due to time constraints).

We have used Budget rental car several times. We always do self debarkation and are on the first shuttle. The latest we got our car was around 9:30. The lines at the Budget office can get long.

Being you will be there the 4th of July weekend, I would stay away from the theme parks and the beach. Maybe book an Airboat tour or something ahead of time. Google "things to do" around Cocoa Beach, Orlando area.

We cruised over the 4th of July last summer with two nights pre-cruise in Orlando. We went to the Disney Marketplace one afternoon to have dinner at the T-Rex Restaurant and the entire place was absolute chaos. It was claustrophobically packed and hot. We almost didn't find a parking spot, and when we finally did, it was a 25 minute walk from where we wanted to be. Add the middle of the summer heat and the shoulder to shoulder crowds and it made for a not so enjoyable afternoon. Stores were packed, not with people buying things, but with people trying to cool off and get out of the heat.

By the way, we made reservations for the T-Rex a month in advance and it was a great idea. The line of people without reservations was out the door and went around the building. We just walked right up and had our table within minutes.

But after that experience I would NEVER go to the Disney Marketplace (or any tourist attraction in Orlando) in the middle of the summer ever again. First time and probably last.

Edited by Tapi