Info for Galveston check-in

Sweet Dutch Girl

Sure, traffic was horrible and we were an hour late getting to the terminal. So what? You can always arrive LATER than your assigned time, just not early. People think you have to arrive within the 1/2 hour window. Nope, just not before it.

You can just choose the time block for your shuttle that corresponds with your check in time block. Those hotels are VERY much aware that folks are gonna hang around until their shuttle time.

But our flight gets in at the butt crack of dawn and we want to go straight to the port. Well, since I have never been on a ship that allowed boarding before 10:30 or 11:00, you are going to sit on a hard chair and wait somewhere. Wait at the airport and THEN come to the port. Is there really that much difference where you wait?

And finally, if people are so concerned about not knowing when they will be able to arrive, then just pick the earliest time blocks. They are NO different than regular boarding times on the ships I have sailed. In Long Beach it is a RARE occasion if even the priority folks board before 11:30 (it's usually closer to noon). That's 3-4 time blocks (if this program were to be instituted in Long Beach). And if you miss your window on the late side, then you are just fine.

Bob

(1) You can't just pick the earliest time or the time that works best for you if that time slot has already been filled when you do your online check-in. If you can't plan your vacations that far in advance or you don't realize you need to check in months ahead and book a time slot, you won't get the time you want. Most important, it's mathematically impossible for everyone to book the earliest time, so there will always be someone out of luck.

(2) If you miss your window on the late side, and your window is 2:30 to 3:00 you may very well not be just fine. :eek: Even if your window is 1 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., if you have to travel a good distance, you're probably not going to leave at the time when, if all goes perfectly, you will arrive during your window. All it takes is one large traffic mess or a shuttle mix-up, and you're rushing to make it on the ship. This is why it makes a difference whether you wait at the terminal or somewhere one or more hours away.

(3) Of the four ports I've sailed from, none were really set up for people to wander over to McDonald's for a coffee. :confused: Even in NOLA, where the port is next to a mall, Carnival's terminal is not pedestrian friendly. If I had been dropped off by a shuttle or taxi, I would not have known how to safely walk to the mall.

For our January cruise on the Freedom I selected the 1100-1130 window knowing very well that I will not be there at that time. I also suggested to the rest of the group that they do the same thing.

Now, once everyone does that and that time slot is full, what happens once the initial rush is over and very few people board for the next hour? Is this going to cause a big tailback in the afternoon as everyone who was forced into the later windows meets up with the people who booked the earlier windows and then decided to board later.

It may not matter, most Carnival cruisers are new cruisers and will just accept what they perceive as the rules but there is room for a big mess.

Of course, when the fog rolls in as it is wont to do this time of year then what will happen? Enquiring minds, etc......

For our January cruise on the Freedom I selected the 1100-1130 window knowing very well that I will not be there at that time. I also suggested to the rest of the group that they do the same thing.

Now, once everyone does that and that time slot is full, what happens once the initial rush is over and very few people board for the next hour?

That is a very good question. Another very good question is, why in the world would you take a time slot that KNOW you won't be there for??? And why would you recommend that others do it also??? And third, why in the world would you take any early time slot at all as you are clearly Platinum and can show up whenever you want???

And people wonder why potentially good programs get messed up....

Bob

That is a very good question. Another very good question is, why in the world would you take a time slot that KNOW you won't be there for??? And why would you recommend that others do it also??? And third, why in the world would you take any early time slot at all as you are clearly Platinum and can show up whenever you want???

And people wonder why potentially good programs get messed up....

Bob

For the first two questions, the answer is that many, many people will do what is in their own best interest. Carnival's system must account for this in their process development. Failure to account for this aspect of human nature would be a failure on Carnival's part, not on their passengers.

For the third question, clearly, they ask Plat and other priority people to pick a time slot because they want to know when they will be there. It wouldn't be too hard for them to have the priority boarding groups skip the check in time step, and auto fill it with "priority."

So, if you are priority, and plan on getting there early, you should pick the early time slot, so they know when to expect you. And, yes you will be taking one of the early slots from someone else.... but you WILL BE USING that early slot, so someone else can't take that slot. They only want so many people arriving each half hour, so they want to know when the priority people are coming, and include them in each quota. They just aren't holding the priority people to the time they select.

FTTF, plats, diamonds are supposed to have a separate check-in area. The few times I had FTTF there were separate lines and check-in counters. So regardless of what time these folks arrive, it should not represent an interruption to everyone else checking in. I don't know why they can't grey out these folks' check-in option when doing it online. They can show up when they want. There's really no need for them to pick a time.

Nevertheless, Carnival IS modifying processes trying to account for human nature. At some point, the human needs to be accountable for themselves. If there was no need for this change, it would not have happened. I don't see what's so mind boggling about picking a time and then showing up at that time. Not everyone is going to have a hiccup. I also don't think that there will be some huge "lull" with boarding. Even the smallest ships have to check-in and board 2,000+ passengers.

I believe most people will be compliant and not everyone is in a rush to be first. Although I've witnessed some rather ignorant me, me, me behavior during check-in, it was never from the vast majority. It is most certainly worth giving a try. It's a pilot and will have to be tweaked, which is why they haven't rolled it out immediately to every ship in the fleet. Changes take time, but I don't see the point of drumming up every hair-on-fire scenario just to discredit the process before it even gets off the ground. This is not unheard of or brand new. It's only new to Carnival and their passengers - a handful of whom simply cannot accept that maybe you might have to adapt to a new way of doing things when you begin your cruise vacation.

You are given a check-in time. If you arrive early you are "thumbing your nose" at the system...do people think this is the honorable thing to do as a "guest" of the cruiseline. I have been on many a cruise where those who arrive prior to published boarding times have been lined up on the sidewalks (without food or water unless they bring it) and that is where they wait until they are invited to proceed into the terminal.

No system is infallible...especially when people don't abide by it. But to say "it won't work" because some people are forever selfish and don't think the process includes them is just a cop out to discredit a system before it is even tried.

Carnival attempted to make this a voluntary process and that, apparently didn't work so now they are playing hardball. Their choice, their ship.

Wrong on one point, you aren't "given a check-in" time. You are picking your own check-in time.

Since assigning check-in times doesn't work and makes people upset it seems somebody in the "home office" came up with a pretty good middle ground.

By picking the time that works best for your schedule then Carnival has a reasonable idea when people might show up.

It's about personal responsibility and by picking your own time you have nobody to blame but yourself if it doesn't work.

I didn't pick the earliest, but probably picked a little early than when we will arrive if we decide to drive in day of. It's a pretty decent time if we come in night prior. It will be interesting to hear how they handle early and late arrivals.

BTW: thanks a bunch for posting this information. I went in yesterday to do my on-line check in so I could pick the time that best worked for us and guess what? Our passports expire in three weeks and we sail December 27th. So off they go tomorrow in the mail. Wow, thanks so much otherwise I would have probably waited another few weeks before I did my on-line documents.

Wrong on one point, you aren't "given a check-in" time. You are picking your own check-in time.

Since assigning check-in times doesn't work and makes people upset it seems somebody in the "home office" came up with a pretty good middle ground.

By picking the time that works best for your schedule then Carnival has a reasonable idea when people might show up.

It's about personal responsibility and by picking your own time you have nobody to blame but yourself if it doesn't work.

I agree that people should be more responsible/considerate/less selfish. However, Carnival has to deal with the way people are today. Carnival can't change the behavior of their customers, and it is on Carnival if they fail to anticipate and prepare for the way people are (the good and the bad).

I have no problem with set times that are enforced. But, as I said earlier, I think it should be set boarding times, not check in times.

They can put a note on the boarding pass, such as:

"Please plan on arriving at the terminal approximately a half hour prior to your boarding time for security screening and check in. If you finish check in prior to your boarding time, you will have to wait until your boarding time before embarking on the ship, regardless of how early you arrive. We have limited space inside the terminal for those waiting to board. Therefore, please do not arrive at the terminal more than an hour prior to your boarding time so that we can prevent overcrowding in our terminal, and allow for a more pleasant experience for all."

This would accomplish EVERYTHING assigned check in times wishes to accomplish, without the problems that have been discussed here.

That would not accomplish anything - not that I see anything wrong with it. Half the people won't read it. The other half will still either complain, be defiant, or both. Is Carnival supposed to account for that too? I mean really, where does it end.

Too many people show up early as it is. Carnival should not put out any communication that suggests it's ok to show up anytime you want so long as you are aware that you might have to wait for hours. On second thought I think that would go over like a lead balloon.

Maybe it's just me, but I think of checking in and boarding as as 1-2 process going hand in hand. We don't show up anticipating a long gap between the two, which is why we always kill time (if we have to) before we get to the port.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

That would not accomplish anything - not that I see anything wrong with it. Half the people won't read it. The other half will still either complain, be defiant, or both. Is Carnival supposed to account for that too? I mean really, where does it end.

Too many people show up early as it is. Carnival should not put out any communication that suggests it's ok to show up anytime you want so long as you are aware that you might have to wait for hours. On second thought I think that would go over like a lead balloon.

Maybe it's just me, but I think of checking in and boarding as as 1-2 process going hand in hand. We don't show up anticipating a long gap between the two, which is why we always kill time (if we have to) before we get to the port.

Exactly. Most people would choose (if possible) not to have a long wait at the terminal. That is the point, and the way they would reduce the overcrowding at the terminal.

People would complain either way (being turned away upon arrival at the port, or told they have to wait at the terminal and watch everyone else board until their time).

However, it would be much easier for Carnival to tell people they need to wait in the air conditioned terminal with water and restrooms until their boarding time, then it would be to tell people they need to LEAVE the terminal and come back later (whether it be 15 min or a couple of hours). With the former, people are MUCH more likely to be compliant. With the latter they are MUCH more likely to be defiant and cause problems.

Keep in mind; Carnival really has no control over when people show up at the terminal (they can only reward and punish). But, they have complete control over who boards the ship. This, right here, tells you where they should implement their boarding restrictions.

Exactly. Most people would choose (if possible) not to have a long wait at the terminal. That is the point' date=' and the way they would reduce the overcrowding at the terminal.

People would complain either way (being turned away upon arrival at the port, or told they have to wait at the terminal and watch everyone else board until their time).

However, it would be much easier for Carnival to tell people they need to wait in the air conditioned terminal with water and restrooms until their boarding time, then it would be to tell people they need to LEAVE the terminal and come back later (whether it be 15 min or a couple of hours). With the former, people are MUCH more likely to be compliant. With the latter they are MUCH more likely to be defiant and cause problems.

Keep in mind; Carnival really has no control over when people show up at the terminal (they can only reward and punish). But, they have complete control over who boards the ship. This, right here, tells you where they should implement their boarding restrictions.[/quote']

I can figure this out for myself. And since we agree people will complain regardless, I don't see the need for more than one directive. To me what's out there for this pilot is not difficult to understand or comply with.

Will there be issues? Of course. That's why this is a pilot program in one port only. Work out the kinks with one port before rolling it out across the board. Will there be changes to the program? I expect there will be. Maybe even a complete scrapping of the plan. That's what a "pilot" program is all about.

I prefer to think they only started out with the limited plan because there are only some ports that have a problem. My hope is at the ones where there is not a problem will never see this new plan implemented. (I use Ft. Lauderdale most often and things always seem to go pretty smoothly at boarding)

But we had to check out of the hotel... Sure, at 11:00 am. The first time block for check in is 10:30 - 11:00 and the second one is 11:00 - 11:30. So you have 2 time blocks to choose from where you can check out of your hotel and go straight to the port.

If it was that simple...everyone can pick whatever time they want...this whole plan would serve no purpose. Everyone would then be able to come at the time they want to, like they always have. The whole purpose of this plan was to force people to come at times they don't want to in order to have a more staggered boarding.

Obviously, a good percentage of the passengers are going to be forced into undesired boarding times regardless of their hotel checkout time.

I can figure this out for myself. And since we agree people will complain regardless, I don't see the need for more than one directive. To me what's out there for this pilot is not difficult to understand or comply with.

I don't think more than one directive is difficult. People do it with flights without problems.

Flight departs at x time

Boarding starts at y time

Arrive at airport at z time

And, as I discussed earlier, I do think set arrival times would be difficult for many to comply with

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad

It's all about the sooner you get onboard the sooner you can scarf down the free food.

I always find it easier and faster to arrive a couple of hours after the ship sails. Not really, but getting there around 1:00 PM always seems to work. Most times we just walk right on and seems to be plenty of food.

It's all about the sooner you get onboard the sooner you can scarf down the free food.

I always find it easier and faster to arrive a couple of hours after the ship sails. Not really, but getting there around 1:00 PM always seems to work. Most times we just walk right on and seems to be plenty of food.

I am with you...get their later, miss most of the traffic, and stroll right onto the ship and to your room if you so choose. Frankly I would not care if I miss that first "feeding". On our first every cruise, we had no idea you could eat as soon as you got on the ship...so we ate a large breakfast....then the buffet. At our 6pm dinner, none of us were hungry...but of course to HAVE to eat again. What a mistake...and lesson learned. On our next two cruises we did go to the buffet, but ate just a couple bites of what looked the best...maybe an appetizer portion and that was it.

But you do understand the food isn't free....yes? Rather the more you can jam down your pie-hole during the cruise, the "better" deal you got!

I am with you...get their later, miss most of the traffic, and stroll right onto the ship and to your room if you so choose. Frankly I would not care if I miss that first "feeding". On our first every cruise, we had no idea you could eat as soon as you got on the ship...so we ate a large breakfast....then the buffet. At our 6pm dinner, none of us were hungry...but of course to HAVE to eat again. What a mistake...and lesson learned. On our next two cruises we did go to the buffet, but ate just a couple bites of what looked the best...maybe an appetizer portion and that was it.

But you do understand the food isn't free....yes? Rather the more you can jam down your pie-hole during the cruise, the "better" deal you got!

Here. Here. I'm in no rush to get onboard although we only cruise once a year and love to eat! It's just not that big of a deal to me. I do go earlier than when I was a newer cruiser, but I have found it's great, less stress, and much calmer for all of us if we take our time the day of embarkation. We're on vacation and it started the minute I walked out my front door.

Even if I miss lunch, which I never have even when we used to get to the port around 2, I'm getting plenty of food for the price. This new process will only be a problem if you allow it to be, and I wish it the best. Good grief.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Here. Here. I'm in no rush to get onboard although we only cruise once a year and love to eat! It's just not that big of a deal to me. I do go earlier than when I was a newer cruiser, but I have found it's great, less stress, and much calmer for all of us if we take our time the day of embarkation. We're on vacation and it started the minute I walked out my front door.

Even if I miss lunch, which I never have even when we used to get to the port around 2, I'm getting plenty of food for the price. This new process will only be a problem if you allow it to be, and I wish it the best. Good grief.

+ 1

I look forward to the staggered boarding process.

We really enjoy walking the Strand in Galveston (all the shops) on embarkation day. Like you mentioned earlier, we just take our time.