Downloading digital photos to CD on Star Princess

GreatBrit

I understand that Princess offer a service where they will download digital photos from your compact flashcard to CD Rom does anyone know the cost on Star Princess? Has anyone used this facility did you have any problems? what are the opening times for this facility?
Thank you all.
Paul and Pam

From Princess web site but no prices were given.

Our newest vessels, the Golden Princess and Star Princess, both feature state-of-the-art digital imaging facilities. Our current range of digital technology allows for a nearly endless array of photo services and items, including full digital processing and printing, custom photo requests and a complete line of specialty products.
The state-of-the-art equipment enables Princess' photo staff to provide passengers with products and services not usually available on a cruise ship, including reprints of shipboard portraits, photo re-touching, prints made from passengers' own digital cameras, and the transfer of film onto an easy-to-use CD. In addition to the improved quality and product offering, digital technology also allows us to eliminate chemical processing. This evolution has tremendous benefits for the environment.

Passengers can also choose to have photos made into a number of personalized articles, including calendars, greeting cards, posters, canvas portrait prints, business cards, photo album pages, collage prints, panoramic prints, post cards, and other customized keepsakes. Full range digital services are available on Golden Princess, Star Princess & Coral Princess (December 2002). Limited digital services are available on Grand Princess, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Ocean Princess and Royal Princess.

They charge by the MB. We were on Sun Princess last November. I do not remember the exact rates, however, I paid $30. USD for about 256 MB. IMO this is a rip-off. All they are doing is buring a CD via a file transfer in Windows Explorer.

Does anyone know if the internet cafe's have RW CD drives? If so, this is a 5-10 minute process. RWCD's are cheep and easy to carry.

Otherwise, purcahse an extra memory stick, the proces are almost the same....

55 days, 7 ships
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;11;20;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Ship #8

While on the ISland this last October, I did this process. It cost me $9.95 for a 256 MB card. I just got off of the Diamond and the price was the same, although I did not take advantage of it. It was invaluable to me on the Island, as I was taking alot more pics and video than I figured I would be with my camera.

In the internet cafe, you do not have access to any of the drives (The machine are locked behind doors), I am sure this is to prevent any viruses from being inadvertently downloaded.

Casey

Someone on this board used this service onboard and 5 days of images did not get transferred to the CD properly.

If I were you, I would look into purchasing an additional card for your camera. I wouldn't want to lose my images.

I just returned from the Regal. During my trip I used this service several times. It works like this:
1 - You hand them the card and they plug it into their computer and immediatly copy all of the files from the card.

2 - You can look at the thumbnails on the computer monitor to insure that they have been copied to their machine.

3 - They promised to have my cd ready by the following evening.

I was then able to format my card an re-use it.

One glich occured. The following evening no CD was available, and the person at the computer could not find my photos -- No problem, they back up there computer every night. They promised to have my CD the following night.

In the meantime I had another card downloaded to their computer, again verifing that it had been done by viewing the thumbnails on the monitor.

The following evening I checked to seem if my - now 2 CD's were ready, and they were. However, since the total volume of files from my two cards (256mb) was less then the CD capacity, they were all copied onto one CD.

I was able to verifiy that, indeed, they had been copied to the CD by having the indivdual look at the contents of the CD, and there they were - thumbnails of a couple of hundred photos.

Cost for this CD with two downloads on it was $14.95.

When I had initually asked about combining several cards on one CD I was told that they would not do it. They may have done so because they initually screwed up, but I'm guessing.

Later on the trip I had one more card copied to a CD. The cost was $9.95.

Happily, when I got home all of my photos were sucessfully copied to my PC for further processing/printing.

I have not been able to get all of my photos together in an album yet, what with about 500 or so it's going to take a little more timel

Hope this helps.

Cliff

Sea Princess 11/2001
Royal Princess 3/2002
Pacific Princess Alaska 8/14/03
Regal Princess 8/21/04

Archived