Spinnaker Lounge Being Removed From All Ships????

emilysmom97

Spinnaker used to be up on the top deck at the front of the ship with large windows and fantastic ocean views. These areas were taken out for suites, removed and placed mid ship in the smaller lounges - maybe those areas were called Dazzles/ unsure of the exact names. They used to have two entertainment areas - similar to the Jewel class ships. Now Star and Dawn only have one area. Yes they can't remove the observatory or Spinnaker area because they already have. The fear I guess is that they will do the same to the Jewel class ships and some of the other ships eg the Sun that have these wonderful areas.

Thanks for the history lesson but I have been on the Dawn and Star both before and after the renovations. Regarding the Sun, which I have sailed numerous times as well. Anything is possible, but the observation lounge is much smaller than on the Jewel class ships and when speaking to various staff, they don't think NCL will keep the Sun much longer.

P.S. I love the new suites on the Star and Dawn and would love if they did something similar to any ship they can.

Thanks for the history lesson but I have been on the Dawn and Star both before and after the renovations. Regarding the Sun, which I have sailed numerous times as well. Anything is possible, but the observation lounge is much smaller than on the Jewel class ships and when speaking to various staff, they don't think NCL will keep the Sun much longer.

P.S. I love the new suites on the Star and Dawn and would love if they did something similar to any ship they can.

LMB, I'm with you on this one. The new rooms are wonderful! A wall of windows. And, it's not only suites that were put in there, also a selection of inside rooms. So everybody wins!!;)

LMB, I'm with you on this one. The new rooms are wonderful! A wall of windows. And, it's not only suites that were put in there, also a selection of inside rooms. So everybody wins!!;)
There is nothing special about those inside rooms (they have the same windows as other insides), and they did not add anything that wasn't already available on those ships.

They put in 18 insides and 28 suites. Assuming these all hold 4 and 6 passengers respectively and sail at full capacity, that's 240 passengers who "win", and everyone else on board loses this big chunk of public space.

In addition to downgrading the original Spinnaker Lounge, the refit eliminated the cinema/auditorium, several meeting/activity rooms, and the chapel. I'm not going to pretend like I care about losing these last few spaces, and if they were underutilized, then by all means they deserved to be replaced. But I would have preferred to see them remain public areas.

• 2 months later...
Spinnaker is also necessary on the Pearl/Jewel for Alaska sailings. It offers great panoramic views when the weather is too cold/rainy to be outside.

I agree completely. As far as "revenue" goes, I would not pay for a cruise that didn't have a good scenery viewing lounge. The entire ship should be attractive to keep people booking on it.

Spinnaker is also necessary on the Pearl/Jewel for Alaska sailings. It offers great panoramic views when the weather is too cold/rainy to be outside.

Too bad you replied to this three month old thread, bringing it back. The topic is full of misinformation. Only the Star and Dawn had Spinnaker Observation lounge changed to cabins and there are no plans to do that to other ships.

Yeah, the article the thread opener is referring to, is five years old, and about NCL Star.

Sadly on NCL Star and Dawn, the Observation Lounge "Spinnaker" has been removed for more staterooms.

But I think it was a major source of complaints by the passengers, so on all the other ships NCL kapt the Observation Lounge. If NCL would have had the plans to replace the lounge by more staterooms, they would already have done so in the past, I think.

Many NCL ships are going to be refurbished soon (e. g. Jade in late 2016), some are already - and I think the Observation Lounge will remain untouched.

But: does anyone know what is planned for the upcoming ship's refurbishments??

Edited by celebrity_fan