Gratuity Added to Drink Purchases on a Charter?

CapCrunch

I'll be on a charter cruise, and they're not offering any alcoholic beverage package (which I gather is the norm for charters). They add a $12/day gratuity to your bill - $14.95 if you're in a suite or Haven category. They don't say anything about adding a gratuity to drink purchases. Can I expect that despite that, they will in fact add an $18% gratuity to each drink purchase? That's what it sounds like on the NCL site, so maybe this is just an omission on the TA's website?

I'm ok with the daily gratuity charge, but the 18% gratuity on each drink purchase seems excessive to me, so it'd be great if they don't charge it. usually in a bar I'll tip a few $$ every couple of rounds, but I wouldn't tip 18% per drink.

For a $6 beer, %18 is only about a dollar. It's really is not that much. I will even usually give additional cash tip and the bartenders will really appreciate it. Especially on the pool deck the servers will keep coming around making sure you are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a $6 beer, %18 is only about a dollar. It's really is not that much. I will even usually give additional cash tip and the bartenders will really appreciate it. Especially on the pool deck the servers will keep coming around making sure you are ok.

I guess you're right - it doesn't amount to more than I'd ordinarily tip at a bar. But I AM wondering why the TA's info doesn't mention it. Guess I'll find out.

I'll be on a charter cruise, and they're not offering any alcoholic beverage package (which I gather is the norm for charters). They add a $12/day gratuity to your bill - $14.95 if you're in a suite or Haven category. They don't say anything about adding a gratuity to drink purchases. Can I expect that despite that, they will in fact add an $18% gratuity to each drink purchase? That's what it sounds like on the NCL site, so maybe this is just an omission on the TA's website?

I'm ok with the daily gratuity charge, but the 18% gratuity on each drink purchase seems excessive to me, so it'd be great if they don't charge it. usually in a bar I'll tip a few $$ every couple of rounds, but I wouldn't tip 18% per drink.

FYI....You're daily service charges are a bit outdated, unless you have already pre-paid the daily service charge.

Effective August 1, 2015 rates for all sailings are as follows:

• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Edited by Got Tequila?
added link

FYI....You're daily service charges are a bit outdated, unless you have already pre-paid the daily service charge.

Effective August 1, 2015 rates for all sailings are as follows:

• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Did it used to be $12/day for all passengers, regardless of cabin type? If not, then I suspect the charter gets a different rate (again, there are no beverage packages or UDP being offered, so maybe they lower this a bit?). But if it used to be $12/day for all passengers then maybe they do have stale info. Again, I guess I'll find out!

Since 2002 on my first NCL cruise, there has been auto gratuity on drinks. This is nothing new... it just was only 15 percent until recently. I do not think there is a major cruise line that doesnt charge auto gratuity for drinks... You're just gonna have to acccept that or drink water. or coffee from the buffet. Even soft drinks have auto gratuity...

Since 2002 on my first NCL cruise, there has been auto gratuity on drinks. This is nothing new... it just was only 15 percent until recently.

In 1988 I sailed NCL for my honeymoon. The number of receipts that we had for beer at $1.50 plus 15% tip/gratuity/whatever could have wallpapered the Taj Mahal. To this day I remind my husband of this. :D

He's actually on the Dawn right now enjoying his Unlimited Beverage Package.

I have never sailed on a charter but I have considered many. In my research, I found that usually DSC is added as a fee by the Charter company and differs in amount. I can recall one 4 day being $275 pp for taxes, port fees and service charge with only one port visited.

I just find them too expensive. No perks, no discount for 3 & 4, huge price tag and no food or drink packages for sale. I guess I am not fan enough, although sailing with dovetailing interests sounds fun.

I'm on the Pearl Nov. 3rd. It is not a charter so we can get the beverage package and the 18% is charged on top of the package price. I've also read that Florida tax is charged while in port in Miami and Key West and while in Florida waters. It is only 6%, but would have been a surprise if I hadn't read about it ahead of time.

Yeah, they're gonna charge it.

That is how the bartender and the waiter make their money. They don't like working for no pay.

Did it used to be $12/day for all passengers, regardless of cabin type? If not, then I suspect the charter gets a different rate (again, there are no beverage packages or UDP being offered, so maybe they lower this a bit?). But if it used to be $12/day for all passengers then maybe they do have stale info. Again, I guess I'll find out!

It was $12 per person for all guests last year, it changed early this year.

I have never sailed on a charter but I have considered many. In my research, I found that usually DSC is added as a fee by the Charter company and differs in amount. I can recall one 4 day being $275 pp for taxes, port fees and service charge with only one port visited.

I just find them too expensive. No perks, no discount for 3 & 4, huge price tag and no food or drink packages for sale. I guess I am not fan enough, although sailing with dovetailing interests sounds fun.

Much of this is not true and I've been on several charters.

DSC is exactly the as a notmal cruise. Same with auto gratuity on drinks. The $275 you're referring to is taxes and fees. All normal cruises have port fess and taxes also added to the base rate of the cruise.

Charters on NCL do allow purchase of UDP. They do not allow UBP because they would lose their shirts. I've joked that people would die from alcohol poisoning if they had UBP. Many charters are a giant party.

As for the price..... it all depends on what interests you. I go on one of the cheaper music charters and feel that the price for 25-30 bands for 4/5 days is worth it. Others that cost more for 12-15 acts would not interest me because I'm not a big fan of the headliner.

Then again, the Lebrewski (craft beer and music) cruise is currently at $129pp for 4 days which is cheaper than a normal cruise.

Much of this is not true and I've been on several charters.

DSC is exactly the as a notmal cruise. Same with auto gratuity on drinks. The $275 you're referring to is taxes and fees. All normal cruises have port fess and taxes also added to the base rate of the cruise.

Charters on NCL do allow purchase of UDP. They do not allow UBP because they would lose their shirts. I've joked that people would die from alcohol poisoning if they had UBP. Many charters are a giant party.

As for the price..... it all depends on what interests you. I go on one of the cheaper music charters and feel that the price for 25-30 bands for 4/5 days is worth it. Others that cost more for 12-15 acts would not interest me because I'm not a big fan of the headliner.

Then again, the Lebrewski (craft beer and music) cruise is currently at $129pp for 4 days which is cheaper than a normal cruise.

Walker Stalker, which is sold out, fees are $225. Miami to Nassau, 3 days. Fees for a Sky cruise, going to 2 ports is less than a hundred. I checked the fine print and the DSC is not included. But pricing starts at $750! I find that outrageous. Suites start at $2500 pp. That is $833 pp per day. The zombies can bite me, I could sail luxury for that.

So I possibly got one thing wrong, the DSC. Everything else I mentioned is very true. Sure expensive is a relative term, but come on.

The Lebrewski cruise is more reasonably priced, but they still charge "government fees" of $250 pp. One of my favorite brewers is there, Stone Brewing. They have this great brew with the motto, "It's Bitter and I like it". It is called Arrogant Bastard Ale, I bet you'd love it. Personally, I prefer their Sublimely Self-righteous IPA.

Walker Stalker, which is sold out, fees are $225. Miami to Nassau, 3 days. Fees for a Sky cruise, going to 2 ports is less than a hundred. I checked the fine print and the DSC is not included. But pricing starts at $750! I find that outrageous. Suites start at $2500 pp. That is $833 pp per day. The zombies can bite me, I could sail luxury for that.

So I possibly got one thing wrong, the DSC. Everything else I mentioned is very true. Sure expensive is a relative term, but come on.

The Lebrewski cruise is more reasonably priced, but they still charge "government fees" of $250 pp. One of my favorite brewers is there, Stone Brewing. They have this great brew with the motto, "It's Bitter and I like it". It is called Arrogant Bastard Ale, I bet you'd love it. Personally, I prefer their Sublimely Self-righteous IPA.

Arrogant bastard is good. I'm all about Cigar City Jai Lai. I believe it's the best beer out right now. Carnival has cigar city on their ships from Florida but very limited selection.

I'm glad cruise lines are starting to offer a craft beer selection. 2 years ago IPAs were hard to find on a ship, but not anymore. I need to look up this Lebrweski cruise.

Keep in mind, this is a craft beer cruise. Every other NCL cruise just sells corporate swill. Speaking of corporate swill, my favourite local craft brewery was just bought by Labatts. :mad:

Which is owned by InBev, and they own Anheuser-Busch.

Keep in mind, this is a craft beer cruise. Every other NCL cruise just sells corporate swill. Speaking of corporate swill, my favourite local craft brewery was just bought by Labatts. :mad:

This will continue to happen... it's the "can't beat them, so buy them' mentality.

Anheuser-busch actually just bought out Miller Corporation for $105 Billion. Now they own over 50% of the market.

I'm worried the beer market may start becoming a monopoly and having to choose between drink A)Piss B )Piss or C)Piss

Edited by theriac

Anheuser-busch actually just bought out Miller Corporation for $105 Billion. Now they own over 50% of the market.

I'm worried the beer market may start becoming a monopoly and having to choose between drink A)Piss B )Piss or C)Piss

The only good thing about that is that it will be easier to send all our complaints to the one parent company. Actually, we should all complain to every sports and concert venue that sells that swill. Yeah, I was disappointed to see the selection on NCL. But not too surprised.

I should bring a case of beer with me on my cruise and say "Oh, but you don't serve real beer on board!"

The only good thing about that is that it will be easier to send all our complaints to the one parent company. Actually, we should all complain to every sports and concert venue that sells that swill. Yeah, I was disappointed to see the selection on NCL. But not too surprised.

I should bring a case of beer with me on my cruise and say "Oh, but you don't serve real beer on board!"

You do realize that companies wouldn't make it if people didn't buy it?

From Stone Brewing Company,

"At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid."

Bud Lite, the #1 beer in America is engineered to make you drink more. Flavor scientists with 10+ years of post secondary education are paid big bucks to see to it. Craft beer is brewed. Inbev products are engineered.

From Stone Brewing Company,

"At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid."

Bud Lite, the #1 beer in America is engineered to make you drink more. Flavor scientists with 10+ years of post secondary education are paid big bucks to see to it. Craft beer is brewed. Inbev products are engineered.

Those new bud commercials are giving the finger to real beer lovers with their "MacroBrew" ad campaign

This is not technically correct. They agreed to terms, but it still has to go through regulators before it is complete.

6&8

Yeah, but a lot of people buy real beer too, so serve that on board as well. Is the only cheese they serve on board Cheez Whiz? A lot of people buy that too. Even if all they want to serve is weak beer, at least have a good weak beer - they do exist, and I don't think they're even more expensive.