Fort de France to Les Salines

Glyn1947

We are visiting Martinique in January. We would like to go to the beach at Les Salines and have a lunch in, or near St Anne. I speak French. We would like some help with the following:

1. What are the different experiences of getting from Fort de France to Les Salines or Ste Anne, by bus, or taxi , or hire car?

2. How long does it take? particularly on the return journey.

3. Any recommendations for a good restaurant in Ste Anne?

Thank you

Philip

Years ago, we took the ferry from the cruise port to Pointe Du Bout which is on the other side of the bay. There we rented a car at AVIS and drove to the beach at Les Salines. The ferry was close to a half hour each way and the drive from Pointe Du Bout was about an hour each way.

It was a very nice trip, but we did not eat at any restaurants. The only thing is that you have to keep track of the ferry schedule so you can get back to the ship on time. Another thing, I would never rent a car during the carnival. We were told, they were not going to do a carnivala t Pointe Du Bout. But, when we drove back to Pointe Du Bout, the police ere closing down all the roads which made it harder to return our car to Avis.

Other than that, we did not encounter any problems and I would consider doing it again in the future. Also, driving to the beach at Diamant rock is a nice trip and not as far.

Thank you. That's very helpful. It seems as though there aren't any car hire places near the cruise port but there are at pointe du bout. Would you mind telling me how far from the cruise terminal is the ferry jetty?

The Ferry is very close to where the ship docks. Well within walking distance. Maybe 5 min. walk. Once the ferry docks at Pointe Du Bout, it is maybe a 10 min. or less walk to the rental car office. Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted about our trip to Grand anis D'arlet. It is closer to Pointe Du Bout and has some good reataurants. The one we had heard about was Chez Claude et Fab. It was closed so we randomly chose someplace else and it was fabulous.

The ferry pier to Pointe du Bout is next to the ship's pier. The ship's pier itself is very long, once on land the ferry is no more than 2 minutes. In Pointe du Bout the avis is a quick, easy, 5 minute walk.

Great way to see the island.