Beach and culture

Glyn1947

We are visiting St Kitts in January (Ventura). We would like to visit a beach for a few hours but also take in a bit of sightseeing. South frigate bay is South of Basseterre and The Brimstone Fortress is North of Basseterre. Could I ask the community the following:

What is the best (cheapest) way of travelling around?

What suggestions do you have for the day?

thank you

Philip

We are visiting St Kitts in January (Ventura). We would like to visit a beach for a few hours but also take in a bit of sightseeing. South frigate bay is South of Basseterre and The Brimstone Fortress is North of Basseterre. Could I ask the community the following:

What is the best (cheapest) way of travelling around?

What suggestions do you have for the day?

thank you

Philip

We were in St. Kitts while on a cruise last month and did almost the same things you're planning (Brimestone Fortress and beach).

We ended up going to the taxi/tour area at the end of the pier right before you enter the cruise center/shopping area. They will be on the right and someone will usually be holding a sign. We were able to get a "tour" for a taxi to take us to Brimstone Fortress first ($28.00 USD per person, round trip). The fee to get into the fortress is $10.00 USD per person. From there we went to South Friar's Beach, which is just a little farther south than Frigate Bay. This is where my memory is escaping me. It was either $4.00 USD or $8.00 USD, per person, round trip. I'm guessing that the fare to Frigate Bay would be around the same. Our total for the day came to around $90.00 USD and we had our driver, Vernon, for the day. He stayed at Brimstone Fortress while we were there (about an hour) and when he dropped us off at the beach we set up a pick up time to take us back to the ship and he was there right at that time. We were very happy with him and he was very professional and nice. We did get his business card. Hope this helps.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We were on a cruise which stopped at St.Kitts. Very beautiful island by the way. For us, we did some research and found sunnybluerental.com. Here, we rented scooters for the day. It allowed us to tour the island at our own pace. The scooters were really reasonably priced and well maintained.

Some cool places to visit are: Rommey Manor (a Botanical Garden), Echo Park and Timothy Hill.

You will have lots of fun.