Dawn to Bermuda 10/16/15, with just a couple of disappointments

S&S Cruisers 1983

This is not a review, just some thoughts on our cruise. All in all, it was a great cruise. We have been on 12 NCL cruises now. We have cruised on Carnival only once, but that was just because they cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii round trip. We would never let the issues that I noted below ruin a cruise. We have never had a bad cruise. I just really wanted to get a couple of issues off my chest.

Food was good, other than my DH was disappointed that they changed how they make his beloved sticky buns. Bermuda was a bit chilly and sprinkling with rain at times. We rented scooters and rode all over the island. We almost turned around due to some dark clouds, but we continued on, but a little wet. We had a blast! If any of you were with us on the cruise, you may have seen us. We were the four very slow riders holding up traffic! Our last cruise to Bermuda we wished we had rented them and didn't. So glad we finally did.

One of the first things that we noticed was that the cabin stewards were not friendly. We are used to getting "Hello, good morning", "Have a good day", "Good evening", all with at least a smile. We got none of this on the Dawn. The stewards would look at you and then look away. Most of the staff on board in general just didn't seem very happy.

One issue that we had was the soda package. I may never buy a soda package again. I always get one and get very spotty service at the bars, so I expected that. This time they completely ignored me, or they would say they would be right with me and then completely ignore me. They did the same with my brother and various other people who came up with their soda cups. Many of them walked away upset, never being served, as I did. I wrote a complaint card at the desk and the next day I ran into the Food and Beverage Director and told him of our issues and he apologized and said he would look into it. Unfortunately this was on about day five of the cruise, after having pretty much given up on using my soda card. By that day, I had spent about $60 on the package for 6 diet pepsi's. I did get a call and a six pack of pepsi sent to my room, so at least they tried. I also noticed that the bar staff the next day were asking people "who is next". Perhaps this was from my complaint, I will never know.

And lastly, and please don't flame me. We love walking around the promenade deck. Not to make this a smoking thread but when did they make the entire outside promenade deck smoking? I knew one side would be, and we are used to that, no biggie. But I was very surprised to see ash cans and signs stating that smoking was allowed on both sides. Just out of curiosity I went and asked at the service desk which side was smoking and she said the starboard side is smoking but there are ash cans on both sides so that people that don't abide by the no smoking rule will have a can to put their butts in. That makes sense but doesn't explain why the signs on both sides say "Smoking allowed here."

I'm not sure of the issues that we had are common issues on the Dawn or not. We have not been on the Dawn before. But may not book it again just in case. Will be back to Bermuda again some day though. We love the island.

This is not a review, just some thoughts on our cruise. All in all, it was a great cruise. We have been on 12 NCL cruises now. We have cruised on Carnival only once, but that was just because they cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii round trip. We would never let the issues that I noted below ruin a cruise. We have never had a bad cruise. I just really wanted to get a couple of issues off my chest.

Food was good, other than my DH was disappointed that they changed how they make his beloved sticky buns. Bermuda was a bit chilly and sprinkling with rain at times. We rented scooters and rode all over the island. We almost turned around due to some dark clouds, but we continued on, but a little wet. We had a blast! If any of you were with us on the cruise, you may have seen us. We were the four very slow riders holding up traffic! Our last cruise to Bermuda we wished we had rented them and didn't. So glad we finally did.

One of the first things that we noticed was that the cabin stewards were not friendly. We are used to getting "Hello, good morning", "Have a good day", "Good evening", all with at least a smile. We got none of this on the Dawn. The stewards would look at you and then look away. Most of the staff on board in general just didn't seem very happy.

One issue that we had was the soda package. I may never buy a soda package again. I always get one and get very spotty service at the bars, so I expected that. This time they completely ignored me, or they would say they would be right with me and then completely ignore me. They did the same with my brother and various other people who came up with their soda cups. Many of them walked away upset, never being served, as I did. I wrote a complaint card at the desk and the next day I ran into the Food and Beverage Director and told him of our issues and he apologized and said he would look into it. Unfortunately this was on about day five of the cruise, after having pretty much given up on using my soda card. By that day, I had spent about $60 on the package for 6 diet pepsi's. I did get a call and a six pack of pepsi sent to my room, so at least they tried. I also noticed that the bar staff the next day were asking people "who is next". Perhaps this was from my complaint, I will never know.

And lastly, and please don't flame me. We love walking around the promenade deck. Not to make this a smoking thread but when did they make the entire outside promenade deck smoking? I knew one side would be, and we are used to that, no biggie. But I was very surprised to see ash cans and signs stating that smoking was allowed on both sides. Just out of curiosity I went and asked at the service desk which side was smoking and she said the starboard side is smoking but there are ash cans on both sides so that people that don't abide by the no smoking rule will have a can to put their butts in. That makes sense but doesn't explain why the signs on both sides say "Smoking allowed here."

I'm not sure of the issues that we had are common issues on the Dawn or not. We have not been on the Dawn before. But may not book it again just in case. Will be back to Bermuda again some day though. We love the island.

Thanks for the tip about smoking on the Promenade, we might have to avoid it altogether when we cruise the Dawn in December.