Mayan Ruins

cruise mouse

Depends where your stops are. If you stop at Cozumel, try and make it to Chichen Itza . If you don't have enough time, go to Coba. My last choice would be Tulum. Its nice, but, the other two are much better.

If you make it to Belize, try and go to Tikal (which is actually in Guatemala), or Xunantunich.

hova

I've actually been researching this for my Western Carribean Cruise. I got this info mostly from tripadvisor.com and fodors.com. I looked up the various ruins mentioned in our official shore excursion list provided by NCL.

In Belize:

Lamanai

Archaeological Site, Orange Walk District

Lamanai ("submerged insect" in Maya, often mistranslated as "submerged crocodile") is Belize's longest-occupied Mayan site, inhabited until well after Christopher Columbus discovered the New World in 1492. In fact, archaeologists have found signs of continuous occupation from 1500 BC until AD 1700.

Lamanai's residents carried on a lifestyle that was passed down for millennia, until the Spanish missionaries arrived. You can still see the ruins of the missionaries' church in the nearby village of Indian Church. The same village also has an abandoned 19th-century sugar mill. With its immense drive wheel and steam engine -- on which you can still read the name of the manufacturer, Leeds Foundry of New Orleans -- swathed in strangler vines and creepers, it's a haunting sight.

In all, 50 or 60 Mayan structures are spread over this 950-acre archaeological reserve. The most impressive is the largest Preclassic structure in Belize -- a massive, stepped temple built into the hillside overlooking the river. Many structures at Lamanai have only been superficially excavated. Trees and vines grow from the tops of temples, the sides of one pyramid are covered with vegetation, and another pyramid rises abruptly from the forest floor. There are no tour buses or cold-drink stands here -- just ruins and the slowly advancing forest.

There are several ways to get here. One option is to drive on the well-maintained unpaved road from Orange Walk Town. From here head west to Yo Creek, then southwest to San Felipe village, a total of 39 km (24 mi). In San Felipe go straight (the road to Chan Chich turns to the right) for another 19 km (12 mi) to reach the ruins. It's about a 1½-hour drive. The best way to approach the ruins, however, is by boat, which takes just a little longer. Boats leave from the New River Bridge, about 10 km (6 mi) south of Orange Walk. You can also catch a 15-minute long charter plane from Belize.

On the grounds of the site you'll find a small museum, where caretakers gladly show you a 2,500-year progression of pottery, carvings, and small statues. COST: BZ$10. OPEN: Daily 9-5.

Xunantunich

Archaeological Site, San Ignacio

You can ask to work the crank yourself as you ride a hand-pulled ferry across the Mopan River, near the village of San José Succotz, toward the archaeological site of Xunantunich (pronounced zoo-nan-too-nitch), which means "stone maiden." As you hike through the profusion of maidenhair ferns to the ruins, you'll encounter numerous butterflies flitting through the air. A magnificent avenue of cohune palms announces your arrival at an important ceremonial center from the Maya Classic Period. Drinks and snacks are available at a visitor center that provides the history of the site. El Castillo, the massive 120-foot-high main pyramid, was built on a leveled hilltop. Though it's not as excavated as Altun Ha, the pyramid has a spectacular 360-degree panorama of the Mopan River valley. On the eastern wall is a reproduction of one of the finest Mayan sculptures in Belize, a frieze decorated with jaguar heads, human faces, and abstract geometric patterns telling the story of the Moon's affair with Morning Light. COST: BZ$10. OPEN: Weekdays 8-5, weekends 8-4.

Address: Southwest of San Ignacio, San Ignacio, Belize

Altun Ha

Archaeological Site, Belize District

If you've never experienced an ancient Mayan city, make a trip to Altun Ha. It's not Belize's most dramatic site -- Caracol takes that award -- but it's the most accessible and thoroughly excavated. People resided here for nearly two millennia; the first inhabitants settled before 900 BC, and their descendants finally abandoned the site around AD 900. At its height the city was home to 10,000 people.

A team from the Royal Ontario Museum first excavated the site in the mid-1960s and found 250 structures spread over more than 1,000 square yards. At Plaza B, in the Temple of the Masonry Altars, archaeologists unearthed the grandest and most valuable piece of Mayan art ever discovered -- the head of the sun god Kinich Ahau. Weighing nearly 10 pounds, it was carved from a solid block of green jade. The head is kept in a solid steel vault in the Bank of Belize's central branch. COST: BZ$10. OPEN: Daily 9-5.

Cahal Pech

Archaeological Site, San Ignacio

Just outside San Ignacio is a third major Mayan ruin, the unfortunately named Cahal Pech ("place of the ticks"). It was occupied from around 900 BC to AD 1100. At its peak, in AD 600, Cahal Pech was a medium-size settlement with some three dozen structures huddled around seven plazas. It's thought that it functioned as a guard post, watching over the nearby confluence of the Mopan and Macal rivers. It may be somewhat less compelling than the area's other ruins, but it's no less mysterious, given that these structures mark the presence of a civilization we know so little about. Look for answers at the small museum. COST: BZ$10. OPEN: Daily 8-5.

Not a mayan ruin, but a couple other interesting shore excursions:

Blue Hole National Park (Cayo District and Western Belize): This hike combines a pleasant 1.5-mile (2.4km) hike through dense primary and secondary tropical forest, with the chance to further hike inside the large and long St. Herman's Cave, while also stopping for a refreshing dip in the park's beautiful namesake swimming hole, or cenote, here. If you hire a guide, you can actually hike for several miles more inside the stunning CrystallineCave.

Belize Zoo (near Belize City): The Belize Zoo (tel. 220-8004; www.belizezoo.org) houses over 125 animals, all of native Belizean species. It is considered a national treasure and a model for the possibilities of a conservation-based zoo. The zoo itself is wonderfully laid out, on meandering trails with large and well-maintained enclosures for the animals.

I didn't find much info on Cozumel excursions, mostly because the NCL shore excursion list doesn't name the ruins in most cases with the exception of Tulum. So here's extensive info on Tulum:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4273/index1.htm

I would agree that Cabo is an amazing spot. Being able to climb the pyramid was amazing. the crowds were much less. Much longer to get there but it was worth it.

If you do Tulum, a good way to bypass the crowds is to get a couple of people together and hire one of the excellent park guides ON YOUR OWN. The public buses between Tulum and Playa del Carmen are fantastic. Pay the small fee to take the people mover from the park entrance to the ruins. Bring lots of water because it gets hot. Don't forget your bathing suit (this is one of the only sites where you can swim in the ocean in the shadows of the mayan ruins -- most others were inland.

OK: my personal opinion only (I have been to Chichen Itza, Lamanai, Tulum, Coba, Uxmal and Dzbilchaltun)

Quite frankly I would not attempt a ruins excursion from Cozumel because your day will be long and tiring and you will spend most of it getting there and back on ferries and buses with very little time at ruins themselves (unless of course you go to San Gervasio (a very small site on Cozumel itself).

Belize: I HIGHLY recommend the Lamanai tour. It is a full day tour but you are only on the bus for about 1 hour to the river and then 1 hour on the way back. The boat ride to Lamanai is fun and interesting itself. The ruins are excellent. I would have loved more time at the little museum and the ruins but it was a great day.

My preferences of the sites I have seen in order are:

Uxmal

Chichen Itza

Lamanai

Coba

Tulum

Dzbilchaltun

I loved Uxmal- went there when on a Costa cruise - from Merida when we got there we were the ONLY group in the entire place - another tour group came in later in day My 76 year old mom climbed a pyramid - lol I was afraid - told her i could go up but not down amazing place

Karen J

My preferences of the sites I have seen in order are:

Uxmal

Chichen Itza

Lamanai

Coba

Tulum

Dzbilchaltun

I loved Uxmal- went there when on a Costa cruise - from Merida when we got there we were the ONLY group in the entire place - another tour group came in later in day My 76 year old mom climbed a pyramid - lol I was afraid - told her i could go up but not down amazing place

Karen J

Uxmal is magical. We went there when we were on a land vacation near Merida. It was the highlight of our trip. There were only 2 other groups the day we went. We had an 85 year old in our group. She did not do the pyramid but EVERYTHING else - amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I LOVED Chichen Itza even tho it was a really long day. We had to ferry in and when they are passing out barf bags as you enter, you know you're in trouble. Unfortunately, there were many people using them. However, I would do it all over again. After seeing Chichen Itza, Tulum was kind of a let down. Don't know about the others.

I would highly recommend the Lamanai tour in Belize. Not only are the ruins incredible, but the river ride is amazing. Also, I would definitly book this through the cruise ship. The boats kept breaking down, which scared me a little. But since it was booked with the cruise ship I wasn't worried about getting back to the ship in time. I will seriously remember the tour for my entire life. BRING BUG SPRAY. That was our one mistake. Remember, you're in a jungle. It's the only one in Belize I went to, so I can't compare. But I definitely was not dissapointed.

Also, I wouldn't recommend going to Chichen Itza from Cozumel either. Cozumel is a nice island, and the trip to Chichen Itza is so long from there. You wouldn't actually get to see Cozumel at all. Go if you stop in Cancun, or just go to Cancun sometime and go from there.

Archived