Please calm me down.. Carnival cards-aarp

casperbks

I am so upset I have called aarp and got transfered five times... and no one can answer my question.... so I know someone on cruise critic will be able to help me.. thank you ... I want to know where online you go to purchase or see if they have any to purchase for the carnival cards that you get 10% discount on if you buy through aarp....Thank you so very much for any help you can give me... thank you thank you:confused:

Just tell yourself this...unless you are going to buy thousands of dollars worth, it might not be worth the time and effort to just get 1-2 $500 cards. Yeah you save $100, but COULD spend hours checking the same website over and over, hoping to get the deal (you apparently already wasted some time on the phone). THEN you have to not lose the cards before you cruise...AND remember to bring them along. Most likely you wouldn't , but I have read posts of people forgetting to pack underwear..so you never know. Put a high value on your time...the this card business is not a big deal.

They're not that hard to get, I have $3100 worth right now and will be giving them to my travel agent to apply toward the final payment, which saves me $310. Plus, I used my Carnival MasterCard to pay for them, so I get points toward OBC. I spent very little time in acquiring the cards. I'll go for one more $500 amount to put on my account at Guest Services.

Just tell yourself this...unless you are going to buy thousands of dollars worth, it might not be worth the time and effort to just get 1-2 $500 cards. Yeah you save $100, but COULD spend hours checking the same website over and over, hoping to get the deal (you apparently already wasted some time on the phone). THEN you have to not lose the cards before you cruise...AND remember to bring them along. Most likely you wouldn't , but I have read posts of people forgetting to pack underwear..so you never know. Put a high value on your time...the this card business is not a big deal.

When I'm not doing anything else important, like when I just have cable news on in the background, I'll go to AARP and run through a few quizzes. Heck, you get points for just logging on each day.

I often even learn something, especially on the health quiz section.

Any time I can pay $900 for $1000 of something that I'm going to buy anyway, I'll probably be there. I get Frequent Flyer miles, to boot.

Then you just go online to your Carnival booking and make a payment towards your next booked cruise. (We have three right now). No worry about loosing or forgetting the gift cards.

Easy Peasy.

I just saved another $100, real money, each time. :)

gary

They're not that hard to get, I have $3100 worth right now and will be giving them to my travel agent to apply toward the final payment, which saves me $310. Plus, I used my Carnival MasterCard to pay for them, so I get points toward OBC. I spent very little time in acquiring the cards. I'll go for one more $500 amount to put on my account at Guest Services.

:confused::confused:I used my CMC to pay for them also and since the purchase is through aarp and not Carnival I did not receive points. It showed Rewards Redemption or something like that on my statement I believe. Maybe I missed it somewhere? Where did you see you got extra points for purchase with CMC?

I have saved $300 by going on aarp and getting the gift cards and it is not money I would have saved without them.

To me, $300 saved is a huge deal.

It only took a few minutes each day to check or even easier was subscribing to the aarp thread here on CC.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

:confused::confused:I used my CMC to pay for them also and since the purchase is through aarp and not Carnival I did not receive points. It showed Rewards Redemption or something like that on my statement I believe. Maybe I missed it somewhere? Where did you see you got extra points for purchase with CMC?

You don't receive double points, but you do receive one point per dollar spent. It's on the statement online.

So that is 16.67%...not 20%.

IF I pay $500 then get $100 BACK, the end result of that $500 value- is a cost of $400, which is a 20% discount. Your percentage is based on a $600 value costing $500.

Edited by Budget Queen

10% is money saved, unless you have buckets of $$ laying around, you are already on the net, why not pop in and see if they are available, it takes 20 extra seconds, not hours................;)

I love when people blow off the savings as no big deal. Means one person less out there trying to get them. They can go ahead and keep paying full price. Me i'm going to enjoy the savings as much as I can. The points are free and at the hunt is fun. It's actually gotten easier as of late.

The "best" deal to be on the look out for, is a repeat through Barclay Card and Carnival, that offered 20% $500 cards with $100 off last year around Thanksgiving.

This would be fantastic!

I've summarized the process of signing up on aarp.org and buying the gift cards in this blog post:

http://www.plane2port.com/10-off-carnival-gift-cards-on-aarp-org/

The process is really simple, but the key is to check the site frequently as they do sell out quickly. I just bought a $100 one last week!

Good luck!

The "best" deal to be on the look out for, is a repeat through Barclay Card and Carnival, that offered 20% $500 cards with $100 off last year around Thanksgiving.

Yes, that was a Black Friday 24 hour promo. You got a free promotional card with 10% from Carnival. You paid $100 and got a $100 Carnival gift card. Then you got a promotional card for $10. If you used your Carnival MasterCard, you got an additional promo card with $10 so you total savings was 20%. This year they did not have the Father's Day promo so I wonder if they will have the Black Friday promo. They also had the $500 cards with the same 20% promo cards. The promo cards from Carnival and the ones from MasterCard had a 1 year expiration date while the regular cards did not have an expiration date. I bought several cards during the Father's Day sale and several during the Black Friday sale.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

I love when people blow off the savings as no big deal. Means one person less out there trying to get them. They can go ahead and keep paying full price. Me i'm going to enjoy the savings as much as I can. The points are free and at the hunt is fun. It's actually gotten easier as of late.

The only problem with this deal its on CCL LOL :D

I have saved $300 by going on aarp and getting the gift cards and it is not money I would have saved without them.

To me, $300 saved is a huge deal.

It only took a few minutes each day to check or even easier was subscribing to the aarp thread here on CC.

Did you not comprehend my first sentence..where I stated "unless your going to buy thousands"?

Point is, putting out a lot of effort to get $500 worth is not a big deal. Would not make or break anyones vacation. Yeah if I could visit a website once, knowing I would get the deal, then yeah. But having to check every day...for weeks or months so save $50? No thanks.

IF I pay $500 then get $100 BACK, the end result of that $500 value- is a cost of $400, which is a 20% discount. Your percentage is based on a $600 value costing $500.

Correct...because the post I was responding to stated they were getting a $100 card...not $100 CASH back. Not the same thing as you know.

I have a Carnival Card but I did not notice that sale last Thanksgiving. Please come and post here again if you see anything about that sale again!