Norweigen brakaway or anthem

momofprb

Hi, I have never been on a cruise and am deciding between Breakway and Anthem. I am leaving Feb. 2015. My gut tells me that the Anthem has more for a winter cruise (I have a 10 year old). The ony thing is I get panic attacks and the Anthem takes two days until getting to first stop Bahamas, whilte Breakway takes one. They are almost idenitcal in price but Anthem is more days. Can anyone help with this decision? Thanks:)

Edited by momofprb
tpos

This is totally my opinion - I'm sure some will disagree. My daughter is 11. Last year we did the Getawayy back to back with the Allure. She wipe the getaway much better. While there is a lot to see on the Allure - she just found much more to do on Norwegian. We ice skate at home and she was not big enough for the zip line or flow rider. Once on the carousel was enough for her.

In Norwegian, she spent hours and hours on the spider climb, ropes course, and water park. There is just nothing to compare to these activities on the Allure. While the Allure ia a very impressive ship - we all prefer Norwegian. We have done the Epic 3 times and have also been on the Oasis.

We think the food and entertainment are comparabl. We find that we have the best time when our daughter has the most fun.

Welcome to cruise critic. You picked two great ships for your first cruise.

I do not know where you are seeing two days to arrive in Florida. It is one day for both cruise lines. Both of them are close to being neck and neck.

Although the Breakaway is a great ship, with an 11 year old, I would choose the Anthem. Much more of the wow factor and many more things for children to do. Both ships are about the same size.

There are two things I do want to say. You already know what the Febuary winters are like here...so sailing down to the Bahamas this time of year has it's downfalls. You will not be able to be on the Lido deck until you get further south. Even if there are no snow storms, it is soooo cold to be outside.

I do not know what causes your panic attacks, so I will not give advice on that without more info.

February is Spring Break in our area. Your daughter will have tons of other kids to play with and have fun with. Good luck in whatever you decide. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.:)

Edited by champagne123
bbbbb

This is totally my opinion - I'm sure some will disagree. My daughter is 11. Last year we did the Getawayy back to back with the Allure.

I'm sure the OP appreciates your opinion, but Anthem is a very different ship than Allure.

Hi, I have never been on a cruise and am deciding between Breakway and Anthem. I am leaving Feb. 2015. My gut tells me that the Anthem has more for a winter cruise (I have a 10 year old). The ony thing is I get panic attacks and the Anthem takes two days until getting to first stop Bahamas, whilte Breakway takes one. They are almost idenitcal in price but Anthem is more days. Can anyone help with this decision? Thanks:)

I've been on both ship classes more than once and in my opinion, Anthem is light years ahead of Breakaway. Anthem is an amazing ship and I think your 10 year old will love it. Plus, if anthem is a longer cruise, that makes it even better. In all my years cruising, I have found RCI to be consistently better than NCL is almost all aspects.

I understand that many will say that the Anthem is better. However, OP is traveling with a 10 year old. Unless you have traveled with a child of this approximate age - you could have a different opinion. I stated our opinion only. We have been on 50+ cruises. Our DD has been on 2-4 cruises per year since 18 months old. I have an extremely different opinion for each age. To us, when our DD has fun - we have a better time overall.

My nephew was 15 last year when we did the Oasis and Allure and he LOVED them. My aunt and uncle with no children were just in awe. These ships are incredible. However, our DD10 really missed the ropes course, bungee trampoline, spider climb and water slides. I know people say there is sooo much for kids to do - but I would like to know specifically what they mean for a child in the 10-year old range. I totally agree that these ships are absolutely incredible. But, just not enough to occupy a 10 year old for several sea days.

As I said - we ice skate a home, not interested in this. She will play in the splash park for a little and ride the carousel once or twice - but she is a little mature for these. The RCCL ships just do not offer all of the activities like the newer NCL ships.

Also, I understand that the Anthem is different from the Oasis and Allure - but, I didn't see anything offered for the 10-year old range that the OOS and AOS doesn't have. Please understand - I'm not debating that these are fabulous, beautiful ships - I agree. I just know for us - they do not offer as much to do.

I understand that many will say that the Anthem is better. However, OP is traveling with a 10 year old. Unless you have traveled with a child of this approximate age - you could have a different opinion. I stated our opinion only. We have been on 50+ cruises. Our DD has been on 2-4 cruises per year since 18 months old. I have an extremely different opinion for each age. To us, when our DD has fun - we have a better time overall.

My nephew was 15 last year when we did the Oasis and Allure and he LOVED them. My aunt and uncle with no children were just in awe. These ships are incredible. However, our DD10 really missed the ropes course, bungee trampoline, spider climb and water slides. I know people say there is sooo much for kids to do - but I would like to know specifically what they mean for a child in the 10-year old range. I totally agree that these ships are absolutely incredible. But, just not enough to occupy a 10 year old for several sea days.

As I said - we ice skate a home, not interested in this. She will play in the splash park for a little and ride the carousel once or twice - but she is a little mature for these. The RCCL ships just do not offer all of the activities like the newer NCL ships.

Also, I understand that the Anthem is different from the Oasis and Allure - but, I didn't see anything offered for the 10-year old range that the OOS and AOS doesn't have. Please understand - I'm not debating that these are fabulous, beautiful ships - I agree. I just know for us - they do not offer as much to do.

I think you are missing one critical factor - the OP is planning to sail out of NY or NJ in February - have you ever sailed out of NY/NJ in February? It is way too cold to use any of the outdoor amenities, which means that the water slides, rope course, and trampoline will be unusable for 2-3 days of a 7 day cruise.

On the other hand, Anthem has a covered indoor pool (not just the adult pool - the main pool is also covered). It also has the Sea Plex, which has bumper cars, roller skating, circus school, and basketball - all of which are indoors. When it warms up, Anthem also has iFly (skydiving simulator), Flowrider (surfing simulator), Northstar, and rock climbing wall. That is a lot of activities that children would enjoy.

Now, if the OP was sailing in summer, then you would have a valid point - I know water slides would trump almost everything else with my son (he is 6). But, in the winter and when you add in two more days for the same price, I think Anthem is the better choice.

Edited by RSLeesburg

Ooops! I saw that the first stop was Bahamas but totally missed "Feb 2016". Total gamechanger. We'd have to switch to the Escape. Since that was not mentioned - I'd definitely choose the Anthem. We absolutely would not cruise out of the Northeast in February. You are certainly right about the temps. I would go even further. Port Canaveral and Bahamas - high temps average in the low 70's - NOT warm enough for us. When we cruise, we want to feel the HEAT!