Cruising with Teens

jenn6743

Hi All, My husband and I are planning on taking my two nieces 17 13 on a cruise next summer to celebrate one of them graduating high school. I have cruised more than a dozen times, but its always been just the two of us. I know I had to get consent forms and passports, but what are some tips I should know. Any tips, tricks, or things I should know would be greatly appreciated. We are going to take a 7 day on the Breeze, Dream, or Magic. I have decided yet.

Thanks Jenn

Hi All, My husband and I are planning on taking my two nieces 17 13 on a cruise next summer to celebrate one of them graduating high school. I have cruised more than a dozen times, but its always been just the two of us. I know I had to get consent forms and passports, but what are some tips I should know. Any tips, tricks, or things I should know would be greatly appreciated. We are going to take a 7 day on the Breeze, Dream, or Magic. I have decided yet.

Thanks Jenn

Their clubs are obviously different ages - it is important for them to go the first night for the meet and greet so they can start to make friends. We always get a balcony for us and an inside for the kids, who basically come and go as they please (under house rules of course). Many of the teen activities run until 2 am so this mom isn't staying up that late on her vacation!

If you search on the family boards you will see lots of suggestions for rules. I think "don't do anything you wouldn't do if Mom was watching" pretty much takes care of it all. And clear consequences are set out in advance...and yes, my 15 year old spent a night in his cabin for failure to make dinner...a nightly requirement. And we always do ports together. But other than that, they get to do what they like...and I still see them because they now our routine and where to find us. Walkies have helped some people but I don't find the reception good. I prefer the sticky note method for communication. Also we cover the next days plan at dinner.

That's about all I can think of....

Our 17 y.o. has always told us that going to the teen club on the first night of the cruise is muy important b/c that's the best night to really meet who you will be hanging out with all week. After that, they basically seem to travel in packs. Ours has loved Circle C & now the teen club (Entourage?), because he's made friends from all over the world in the past 6 years & still keeps in touch with many of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Know that the Club O2 teens usually have activities going until late into the evening. Our first cruise I wasn't prepared and had "regular" curfews set up for DD but quickly eased up as I saw that there were still large groups of kids doing an activity until midnight or 1 am.

This summer the Breeze will be out of Galveston and if you have not gone out of there its worth a run. Texans are interesting people to cruise with. As far as the teens the previous post seem to be spot on Circle C seems to let the kids kind of do there own thing with some supervision. Club O2 on the other hand I have no experience as this will be our sons first time he will be 15 come cruise time.