Virgin Cruisers Visa Question.

Not Rod Stewart

Good day to you Cruisers. Bitten the bullet and taking a foray into cruising and our first is an MSC 42 day cruise from Genoa in March to Shanghai. We have checked out Visa Requirements as British Nationals and the only ones that will cause us a bit of work are those for China and India. India might be an EVisa Online (?) and China will be one to work at. We have been to India a couple of times already and to get a `Normal` Holiday Visa is a pain. For Cruising, ie: visiting one day is it the same or are there dispensations for Cruise passengers?

Looking forward to the trip and, as an aside, on MSC am I allowed (generally) to take a bottle of alcohol on board in my luggage?

Any hints or help warmly received!:)

single entry china visa is valid for 3 months from the date it is stamped so can only apply within 3 months before arriving in china. Visa photo requirements are different. Must be on white background unless you have white hair when blue is OK. size different to UK passport photo as well. i am having to use a professional photographer for my visit next March and will apply in January. Apparently the application takes about 4 working days. The chinese consulate have all the details etc.

good luck with India, it is rumoured that the visa complications were the reason that P&O dropped the country from their world cruises. :eek:

ps -it might be worth using a visa application company

Edited by davecttr

Cheers So Far. If the India one looks silly we will stay on board! seen a lot of India and Goa. Looks like Chinese embassies in UK use a visa centre (Keeer-ching!) so will be expensive.:mad:

Sorry, even if you do not disembark in any country, you require the proper visa for that country. The ship must clear the passengers and crew all into and out of the country. If you do not have the proper visas at embarkation, the cruise line will turn you away with no refund.