Gem to Tortola.. Jost Van Dyke?

bbryan5

We did the Jost Van Dyke excursion on Rebel Yell, this past May 2015. It was excellent!! I would suggest paying a visit or in our case staying the entire time at Gertrudes. Make your own Painkillers and awesome company.

We will be heading back next month. I would live there if I could. :)

We did the Jost Van Dyke excursion on Rebel Yell, this past May 2015. It was excellent!! I would suggest paying a visit or in our case staying the entire time at Gertrudes. Make your own Painkillers and awesome company.

We will be heading back next month. I would live there if I could. :)

Thanks- We may go over to Ivans this trip. Our goal is a drink at every bar :)

• 1 month later...
We booked Jost Van Dyke on our own, and yes, it was less expensive than the ship. However were not impressed with the place and thought the Soggy Dollar was a rip. But each of us has our own opinions about excursions.:)

Who did you book through? What was the cost? What were the times of departure and return? How much time did you get on JVD?

For those who have done the JVD through Rebel Yell ( the NCL tour ), how was getting from the cat to the shore? This is my only concern. One of us is not a strong swimmer. How far do you swim and how is the water; rough, swells, currents? I assume if people take their kids, it can't be that bad.

Too many painkillers? Sorry :(

Painkillers are drinks that were invented at the Soggy Dollar Bar. They're good, but the bushwackers at One Love are to die for :)

We sail on a catarmaran every year, so are lucky to grab a mooring ball and overnight at White Bay, JVD. Love it there, it's even better when the crowds leave :)

Thanks for the tips here, I really wanted to take my kids there (17 year olds), as they'd heard so much about it, and the excursion wasn't available. Thanks to these posts, I snagged 3 spots and now am very happy!

For those who have done the JVD through Rebel Yell ( the NCL tour ), how was getting from the cat to the shore? This is my only concern. One of us is not a strong swimmer. How far do you swim and how is the water; rough, swells, currents? I assume if people take their kids, it can't be that bad.

Great question! This is the only thing holding us back from booking this excursion. Last year we did the Tortola island tour with beach break, but it was a Sunday morning and not much was open, and there were no facilities at the beach.

We did this on the 11/14/15 Escape cruise and never fear, they pulled up to ankle/knee deep water for drop off and pick up. One young lady even had a very small baby with her, so you should be fine. The only issue o see that could arise if very choppy or too many boats anchored near shore, but they do try to get you close.

Oh and our excursion opened up after selling out, then cancelled while on board, then opened up again. The Rebel Yell captain said they give priority to certain other ships because they pay more. That's why you will see this excursion open and cancel from time to time.

Enjoy!