Transferring digital pictures while on board

Olive

In the event that my memory card gets filled up while on board, how much does Celebrity charge to transfer pictures onto a CD? Is it any cheaper to bring my own CDs? The cruise is 12 nights, and I am a crazy picture taking fiend, so I am trying to be prepared.

Thanks!

On our first cruise on Infinity, we had taken a Introductory Photoshop course. We asked the instructor if we could transfer our photos to a CD, and he charged me $5. Of course, this was back in 2003. I have since bought lots more memory cards

Hi, I'm just back from Summit yesterday. They charge 15$ per CD. You have to download the pictures. Celebrity gives you a maximum space of 1,5 GB to store your pictures. In the Internet Café are only a few stations with cardreader. This can be very busy on Seadays because everyone wants to look or download the pictures.

We purchased a great unit called Roadstor ($70 at Circuit City) that transfers cards & memory stix to CD/DVDs. It is the size of my DH's shaver case. He is using it fulltime at home to transfer for friends who want a slideshow of photos for their TV. Sure is better than a bunch of photos to drop all over.... Saves on more $100 memory stix for our Sony items.

We purchased a great unit called Roadstor ($70 at Circuit City) that transfers cards & memory stix to CD/DVDs. It is the size of my DH's shaver case. He is using it fulltime at home to transfer for friends who want a slideshow of photos for their TV. Sure is better than a bunch of photos to drop all over.... Saves on more $100 memory stix for our Sony items.

Just checked Circuit City's web site & the only Roadstor they show is $240 -where did you get yours?

On our last Transatlantic on the Galaxy. I took over 1600 photos.

I downloaded most on the ship, $15 per disc. Great service. Much better

than having lots of memory sticks. I could repair the photos on the ship

at no charge.

It was $140 with $70 rebate so that was $70 for us. Check other places or the Net for deals. It is great how it works & save plenty of money. We have 1000 MB of Sony stix, so we don't need to buy any more for the camcorder & digital camera.

Just checked Circuit City's web site & the only Roadstor they show is $240 -where did you get yours?

Thanks so much for all of the replies! I think we'll probably end up using the ship's service instead of buying a new card, at least this time.

You can buy 512MB compact flash and SD cards on sale for less than $30 (after rebate).

I called the new CC store that opened down the stret from us & they had it. $140 new item price with $70 regbate, so DH bought it. Since he had been using it trying to make it not work, as he loves to do, but it is wonderful.

So I guess now that MicroSolutions knows they have a hit, they raised hte price $100 more. But check the Net for a sale.........

To echo one of the above posts, can you bring a cd and burn them yourself in the internet cafe?

No. The workstations in the internet cafe(s) are very 'closed'. About all you have access to is an attached (paper) printer.

The advantage to the Roadstor is that it is also a CD player, a DVD player, and an MP3 player. That's a great item to have in the cabin in addition to the convenience of being able to burn your own photo CDs. We bought our 2nd generation Roadstor factory refurbished on eBay recently for about $70, including shipping. I highly recommend.

Donna

Do you have an iPod?

The iPod photo and the newest "standard" iPods with color screens have the ability to take pictures off of digital cameras. Apple sells an adapter that essentially turns the dock connector into a USB port. Bring the cable that you use to transfer pics from the camera to the computer, and plug it into the iPod instead. You can transfer the photos over. And of course, you can view them. When you get back home, if you have a Mac, you can dock your iPod and have iPhoto suck them off. (I assume there is some (probably less elegant) way to get them off the iPod to a PC.)

Do you have an iPod?

The iPod photo and the newest "standard" iPods with color screens have the ability to take pictures off of digital cameras. Apple sells an adapter that essentially turns the dock connector into a USB port. Bring the cable that you use to transfer pics from the camera to the computer, and plug it into the iPod instead. You can transfer the photos over. And of course, you can view them. When you get back home, if you have a Mac, you can dock your iPod and have iPhoto suck them off. (I assume there is some (probably less elegant) way to get them off the iPod to a PC.)

Hello jsmeeker.

Just wondering if you (or anyone else) have had any personal experience with this adapter? I have just bought one for an upcoming cruise next month, and would appreciate any comments (good/bad/indifferent) on this adapter. I played around with it just a bit on the weekend with an old Olympus 3.2 megapixel camera. Worked OK, but seemed to drain a lot of charge out of the battery pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Enzo

Do you have an iPod?

Hello jsmeeker.

Just wondering if you (or anyone else) have had any personal experience with this adapter? I have just bought one for an upcoming cruise next month, and would appreciate any comments (good/bad/indifferent) on this adapter. I played around with it just a bit on the weekend with an old Olympus 3.2 megapixel camera. Worked OK, but seemed to drain a lot of charge out of the battery pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Enzo

Hello jsmeeker.

Thanks.

Enzo

yes.. I have one. And yes, it really DOES suck the battery down, as it keeps running the hard drive. So, make sure to take your iPod charger with you. But it's neat. Especially handy if you want to take pics home from other people's cameras.

yes.. I have one. And yes, it really DOES suck the battery down, as it keeps running the hard drive. So, make sure to take your iPod charger with you. But it's neat. Especially handy if you want to take pics home from other people's cameras.

I had never tthought about getting pics from other cameras. Thanks for the tip!

Enzo

The Roadstor is sold under a few names...check out MicroSolutions Roadstor as well as Addonics MFR...same unit.

I bought my Addonics years ago...a little higher when it first came out at $170 or so...I think prices are falling. I've used it extensively on 3 cruises now, and it is a great alternative for transferring photos to CD.

Lots of solutions nowadays...use the ship service to burn to CD, buy more memory cards, bring a laptop, use an IPOD, bring a portable harddrive, use a portable CD burner...all are workable solutions. Here's the reason I went with a CD burner unit myself:

1. Laptop is too big and delicate - Addonics/Roadstor is very packable.

2. Portable harddrives/Ipods etc all store photos on a single drive...if it fails, photos may be lost. Though unlikely, I like the security of being able to burn multiple copies of my photos on 2 or 3 different CDs so I know I have backups.

2. The unit can be plugged into a TV to check the burned disk...security of knowing the burn was successful.

3. Addonics/Roadstor also serves as a CD player, with a headphone jack, a DVD player hooked to a TV, has battery or AC power, comes with a remote control, and can be used to slideshow your pictures on the tv.

4. You can bring plenty of blank CDs and make copies of photos for newfound friends onboard...or get copies from their digital cameras to bring home yourself. The Addonics/Roadstor can read all forms of memory cards and microdrives, to download from compact cameras to DSLRs.

5. It can be hooked up to a computer by USB, and act just like an external CD burner, or can be used as a memory card reader - plug it in at home, and you can read your memory cards right to the computer without hooking up the camera.

6. I can shoot 600-800 shots a trip with 5MP cameras in JPEG fine mode bringing only 2 256MB cards along (one for each of my two cameras). That gives me roughly 90-120 shots per card per excursion...up to 240 shots at a time, and then just head back to the cabin and drop them onto CDs, blank the cards, and start over.

This is just a personal decision - all solutions will work well. For me, the primary selling point was being able to burn multiple copies of my pictures for security. One set of CDs goes in my luggage, another set in my carryon bag, and a third in my camera bag if I'm really worried. If one set gets exposed to heat, broken in transport, or has some kind of strange misread problem, I've got another set. Coming home with 800-1000 pictures that cannot be recreated, it makes me feel much more secure that I'll have my memories preserved!

3. Addonics/Roadstor also serves as a CD player, with a headphone jack, a DVD player hooked to a TV, has battery or AC power, comes with a remote control, and can be used to slideshow your pictures on the tv.

I just bought a Roadstor on ebay...can it be used as a CD player by plugging it into the tv and using the tv's speakers? ..music for the entire cabin/balcony Or just with headphones?

Yes...just make sure you plug in the red and white cables to the TV, not just the yellow one, which is video only. The TV speaker isn't great of course, but it's nice to be able to play your own music. When you insert a music CD or DVD, you just hit the regular control buttons on top of the unit (play, pause, rewind, forward, stop), or use the supplied remote control.

thanks, I think the Roadstor will be perfect for us. I agree with all the reasons you use it. I remember the first time I had my pictures transfered to a CD... I was so worried that something would happen to it on the way home. I like the idea of having a "second" for back up. Is the quality of the CD important? Do I need to get the more expensive ones?

Archived