Transferring digital pictures while on board

Olive

Well, I probably wouldn't buy the cheapest CD on the market...quality matters a little bit, but you don't have to go buy the $3 apiece gold standard archive CDs. Since the main purpose is to have the CD last for at most a few weeks to get home and transfer them, you can use the multi-pack or spindle CDRs..just try to look for a somewhat reputable brand (I tend to use TDK 50-pack CDRs on the spindle for this purpose, as they seem to be generally flaw-free).

If you use no-name brands in the spindle, sometimes you'll see the mirror-finish coating on the CD looking a little flaky along the edges, or see cloudiness in the finish. This is the only thing to avoid - if that coating falls off, or scratches too easily, the data can be lost.

Even decent brands sold in bulk are cheap...I think my 50-pack of TDK discs was no more than 15-20 cents a disc. Memorex, Maxell, Sandisk, Verbatim...all should be fine. Just check out the discs that you bring to make sure the finish is good, and bring enough discs that you have some spares. One of those little, cheapie CD wallets are a good way to transfer them while travelling...I can pack up to 20 blank CDs in a very small space, and the wallet makes sure they don't scratch rubbing against eachother. I bring two wallets, one for carry on and one for luggage, so I can transport two sets of my pictures in different manner for security.

Some do, some do not, by my last experience. On the smaller vessels, rumour is they do have video ports...but on the Summit last year they did not.

However this didn't pose a problem, as I just requested a VCR in my cabin on the first day, which they happily accomodated within 30 minutes...the VCR hooked up through their antenna-wiring/coaxial inputs...but VCRs all have video-in RCA ports on the back (yellow/red/white). I've done this on RCCL too without any problems...Princess and HAL so far have had TVs with inputs.

Archived