Deck 6 Legend aft lifts?

ratacake

Hi everyone,

We're booked in Cabin 6610 of Legend's February 2016 cruise - first time on Legend and with RCCL.

I have a mobility problem in that I can't walk too far (I have a cane) and I chose this particular cabin (don't remember where I originally saw the Deck Plan) because it looked to be close to an aft lift, thus getting hubby Roy and I to all the restaurants, etc.

I have just today been looking at the official Deck Plan for RCCL and the area doesn't say specifically "lifts" like the forward and central lifts do, it just shows what looks like a boxed in area.....:confused:.

Have I made a blue? Would very much appreciate your HELP PLEASE if you've been on the Legend.

Many thanks

ratacake

Hi everyone,

We're booked in Cabin 6610 of Legend's February 2016 cruise - first time on Legend and with RCCL.

Have I made a blue? Would very much appreciate your HELP PLEASE if you've been on the Legend.

6610 is definitely aft with the nearest lifts being at the Centrum. Hope you can have a change made.

Edited by Scotty G

Thanks very much for your quick replies.

Unfortunately, there are not many cabins left and they are a long way forward. I've just had a quick look. The price has also gone up since we booked it.

I wonder, can I transfer to another cruise and cruise company through the same TA? We were considering Princess 29 January before we saw this one and it has a cabin definitely just over from the lift. Unfortunately, it would mean travelling to Sydney instead of Brissie - a bummer cause Brissie has great parking and cheap too! The cruise is very similar, but 2 days longer, and is on Dawn Princess.

What do you think? If we decide to do it, will we lose our deposit - we paid $500 and we can't afford to lose it. On their paperwork it says any transfer will cost $25 per head, but I'm not sure if they mean another company's ship. Maybe they've already sent the deposit to Royal Carribean. I can't find out till Monday and I'm stressing now :mad:

Thanks again,

ratacake

Unfortunately, there are not many cabins left and they are a long way forward. I've just had a quick look. The price has also gone up since we booked it.

I wonder, can I transfer to another cruise and cruise company through the same TA? We were considering Princess 29 January before we saw this one and it has a cabin definitely just over from the lift. Unfortunately, it would mean travelling to Sydney instead of Brissie - a bummer cause Brissie has great parking and cheap too! The cruise is very similar, but 2 days longer, and is on Dawn Princess.

What do you think? If we decide to do it, will we lose our deposit - we paid $500 and we can't afford to lose it. On their paperwork it says any transfer will cost $25 per head, but I'm not sure if they mean another company's ship. Maybe they've already sent the deposit to Royal Carribean. I can't find out till Monday and I'm stressing now :mad:

Thanks again,

ratacake

Have you considered or would you consider a scooter? I have a bad leg so I understand not wanting to take a long walk.

There are several sites that rent scooters for the duration of a cruise. It is another option rather than having to lose money or change plans that may or may not be easy to do.

Hope you don't stress too much.

Thanks again,

ratacake

Unfortunately the set of stairs you are seeing on the deckplans are not public Access stairs. I´m not sure, there might be Elevators too, but it doesn´t matter, as it´s a crew only area.

I assume you are booked with a TA in Australia? I´m not 100% sure about the T&C´s in Australia, but I think as with most non-US countries you will lose your deposit if you cancel. The Change fee you are talking about is most likely something your TA charges, not the cruise line. It´s a bummer your TA didn´t tell you about your cabin and the stairs / Elevator, that´s of Course only if you talked to your TA about your Needs.

You can try to move Cruises, but this will only work if you move to another Royal cruise. You can´t move to a Princess cruise without cancelling the Royal one and most likely lose your deposit.

IMO the scooter rental is not an Option for you. The scooter won´t fit through the door of a regular cabin and even if it did you won´t have any place inside the cabin to store it. It can´t be left out in the hallway either.

We saw something similar on a deck plan another time also. It is, as has been said, only for the crew. We were disappointed too.

I would say that it would be worth looking at changing to another cruise if possible. you are outside final payment time, but you may be able to transfer to another RCI cruise with only the transfer penalty. Cancelling from RCI will incur a penalty, which would be usually (I think) the $400 deposit they require, plus $100 to the TA for their time and effort. Your terms and conditions should state the dates where penalties apply. Definitely ring your agent and explain your situation. They may be able to clarify and give you some other options.

Hope it works out ok. Legend is the smallest ship over here currently from RCI, and going out of Brisbane would be very handy. There is a lot more walking when you get a flight to Sydney and then go to the ship. Have a good look at what that might entail.

• 2 months later...

we were on deck 8 aft and it would have taken us less than 1 mins to walk up to the lift. True we don't have mobility issues but we were further aft than your cabin and even on the last day when it was a little rough and you had to slow down walking down the corridors it didn't take much more time to walk to our cabin. If you are still concerned try the suggestion of another poster with a wheelchair request. Enjoy the cruise. Legends is one of the smaller ships so you could be on a bigger ship and be more forward and because of size difference could end up having to walk same distance to a lift. I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!