Anyone else frustrated with their SO?

p0mpey

He enjoys the actual cruise and the fun excursions that have been planned, researched, & stressed over.....but just doesn't understand the rest!

Don't make the mistake of thinking that he does not "Understand the rest"

he probally understands it but just does not really like it that much.

Bob

I don't nag DH because if there is one thing I have learnt during 25 years of marriage is that he will never change. Doesn't stop me wishing that we could share the anticipation of our VC though and sharing the frustration with my CC family. Many who obviously have the same differences with their SO. One thing that can be said about us 'fun' people is that we get a lot more for our money!:)

I am grateful that my dh loves to travel as much as I do...And he is wonderful to travel with as our our kids...but I am the one that loves to plan..read, talk to people about travel, read 6 travel magazines a month...haunt these boards..hear about other's trips..

I come from a long line of travelers...I am a 17th generation descendent of William brewster Jr. who was on the Mayflower and Mungo Park who explored the Niger River in Africa...It is in my genes. I love my home city but can't wait to get the suitcases out....:)

My husband and I love to travel, but I do all the planning and research. I tell him when and where. To me it is fun and part of the whole experience. He doesn't get into it and that is ok, most of the time. Like most here, I am on CC every day. It is part of my unwinding from the work day. Do I find it frustrating? Someitmes, but is could be worse.

Well, I wont say I do nothing, but my DW is a cruise nut for sure. She booked our Thanksgiving cruise on RC Voyager a week after we cruised last year. She is so very good at finding us the right deal, this year, balconyfor us, and two inside rooms across from us for a great price and we are so ready.. Wonder what a Thanksgiving turkey is gonna taste like out on the ocean, guess we will be finding out soon lol. Gonna miss my sisters stuffing, but guess its worth it lol.

I'm glad I'm not alone,we went on a cruise many years ago and my SO was seasick,no patches then. Now he won't talk about them or go on one. I have tried to tell him they are much different these days.Now I give up and plan my trips with others.He likes camping,solitude etc. I like luxury and meeting people.So we have separate holidays.wev'e been married 30 years next may,shame I will be celebrating it with my Daughter on a cruise :rolleyes: She booked this one as it fitted her work schedule.I think the planning and anticipation is far better value than the actual trip.The trip only lasts so many days whereas if you book early you have months of enjoyment here and elewhere :) So count youselves lucky that your SO will go with you even if they don't say much.

My husband loves to travel and cruise, but hates to plan and pack. When I research cruises, I find ones that offer things we enjoy (fortunately we are compatable in that), I narrow it down to a few choices and THEN, I show him the choices. If that is all he has to do, he is a happy camper. I like taking care of details so it doesn't bother me that he isn't involved with that. He enjoys just going along for a wonderful vacation without having to plan or pack. I think he knows how much time and effort it takes and he appreciates it very much that he can just go and enjoy.

My DH doesn't like to cruise, so I go without him. Always have a friend happy to cruise with me, and we have a blast. The two cruises DH has been on with me, he's been a stick-in-the-mud and complained about everything, making my life miserable. He is a wonderful person, just can't deal with the structure of life on a ship.

My DH doesn't like to cruise, so I go without him. Always have a friend happy to cruise with me, and we have a blast. The two cruises DH has been on with me, he's been a stick-in-the-mud and complained about everything, making my life miserable. He is a wonderful person, just can't deal with the structure of life on a ship.

That's great that he is happy to let you go alone! I have to admit that while mine detests the planning (he says that is why he married a former TA then runs to avoid the pillow being hurled at him) he is a lot of fun on the actual cruise itself.

I think I may have almost the oppsoite in my DH, he talks about cruising quite often. He will say things like "last week we were in .... or I wonder who has our cabin this week..... or can you imagine next week we will be in......"

He has always been excited about each cruise and he is really excited about our Hawaii cruise in May '06. :D

We always wonder who the heck is in OUR cabin too!

I have a very simple solution for your problem, just divorce him and find some one who is just like you. then everything will be OK. now back to reality you say your husband enjoys the cruise, lets you go with your friends and kids and never says anything, and you are complaining about it. If my wife naged me all the time and complained that I did not share her enthusiasm about something that she liked, I would probally just tell her that everyone has different ways of enjopying themselves.

Just for the record I did have a wife who naged me all the time about things, and that is why she is now a X-Wife, my new lovely bride of 7 years never gives me a hard time about my intrests that are different than hers.

Bob

Wow Bob, I totally took this post differently than you did. I did not see it as the OP was complaining at all, she was just asking if there was anyone else out there who's SO does not get excited early on. She also never said her SO's interest were different than hers, I think you read way too much into it.

I'm with you guys my husband never gets excited about any vacation, last year we went to Hawaii for the first time, he did not get excited until we touched down in Hawaii. Me on the internet checking out tours place to go see.

I tell him that we need to cruise for his 50th birthday he not excited, me I have not cruised in 26 years and I'm dying to get back on board a ship. My last cruise was on P&O when I lived by home in England.

I need a cruise really bad, I never realized how much I missed it until my sister started cruise again back home in England and my mum cruises every year on P&O does three week cruise at a time comes over to the caribbean from England

Wish my husband would get more excited about going on a cruise.:)

But I am one in reality. DW enjoys the cruises, I love the planning, though sometimes I am amazed at her reluctance...hence the two year gap between cruises 1/03--1/05...but then she surprised me and said yes to our upcoming Radiance cruise on short notice and despite the fact that we already had another cruise booked for just a month later.

I tend to recommend cruises to my clients as ways to add back happiness after the conclusion of thier litigation, whether it be the actual divorce or the modification case a couple years (or sometimes more than a couple years) after the divorce.

So for all the SO's who lack enthusiasm...a cruise will be what, a few thousand dollars? My retainer is $10k, and that's for starters...get out there!!

whats up with some of these men? My husband loves to cruise, but he wouldnt have a clue on how to book one. he forgets when we are leaving. i have to remind him all the time even if its posted on his calender in his office. he does get excited a few weeks before. but nothing like us girls.(we start looking and shopping for that perfect dress way in advance)

In short, I do all the leg work for all our vacations. I just tell him when and where and of course of much money i need.

Just like the song: GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!!!

HEY NOW!

Please don't lump ALL of us guys together!

I do most of the reasearch for all of our vacations and also the actual booking. DW is somewhat computer-phobic so you won't find her on CC! However, she certainly shares the enthusiasm and anticipation. We were a little apprehensive about our first cruise as many people told us "you will either love or hate it". Luckily we loved it! Now a day doen't go by where we don't talk about cruising...either memories from our first cruise, or looking forward to some aspect of our future cruises.

Those who's SO doesn't share their excitement can always come here to CC and share!

Well, here's a different side to the story. My DW loves to cruise, but I do most of the planning as cruising has become a passion. I work hard, and enjoy looking forward to the next cruise. My DW doesn't become excited about it till a few weeks out, then starts shopping for cruising gear. She likes to start packing a week before, I like to start shortly before the night before, and it drives her nuts. We both talk about our past cruises. So for all of you DW's that can't seem to get the DH excited, what a bummer!!:eek: :D

Rick

You are the first male to post on this thread. It makes me wonder if this is a woman thing? ;)

Beth

My wife and I both love to cruise, but I'm the one who does all the planning and researching and I'm also the one who gets more excited anticipating the trips.

She's 100 per cent involved in picking excursions, pre- and post-cruise hotels and restaurants, but doesn't come on CC or read the cruise magazines. I think part of why she's like that is that if she gets too involved in the pre-cruise stuff, it will make it much harder to get through the intervening months at work. She doesn't start really getting excited about it until two or three weeks before each cruise.

Allen

I suspect most relationships work it out depending on who likes to do what. My Dad is the opposite of my husband. He loves to plan vacations. He would plan them to death which is probably why I like to plan ours now so that I don't have to put up with someone elses plan! I remember when we were kids we went to DisneyWorld after it opened and my Dad would not let us ride the teacups! Guess what the first "Mom" ride in DW is going to be in two weeks? That's right folks, Teacups. Right after SpaceMountain and Buzz Lightyear.

Oh my god, we live parallel lives. My partner won't even let me talk about it to him until a week before the cruise, and we have until 10/01/06 on the Freedom. You can imagine my excitment about going on a brand new ship, and I am here every day and checking rccl.com everyday for updates to the ship. I go to bed at night thinking about it, and he just won't share in my excitment. And them after the cruise, I am always so excited at the great time we had, and he just says "Yeah, it was fun". But look at the bright side. Since we are the ones who get so excited long before the vacation, we are the ones who always get to plan the vacation. If you don't share in my excitement then you get no part in the planning.

AHA! I KNEW I would find you on another thread if I looked long enough and here you are! FitzLA the other thread we were having ou discussion in was pulled (not either one of us) and I just want you to know "I get it now" and it is all good. I am so sorry we had a misunderstanding and you can call me "honey" anytime. Back to your discussion!

Wow Bob, I totally took this post differently than you did. I did not see it as the OP was complaining at all, she was just asking if there was anyone else out there who's SO does not get excited early on. She also never said her SO's interest were different than hers, I think you read way too much into it.

well I did go back and reread the Op first post, and this is whay she said

I guess I am not really complaining.....well, yes I am. However I guess it is a

good job he is like he is, as we couldn't afford to travel as much as I would

like to. But a little interest would be so nice.

so she was complaining after all

I guess I am pretty lucky. My DH plans all our cruises, pays (of course) and enjoys talking and planning about the shore excursions with me. We love cruising and have been on 25 + since we started cruising. We try to go on at least 2 a year.

Archived