I get conflicting info! Power Strips on Constellation?

skoeper

Ditto what "sptrout" said. Less than a week ago, I sent in the "special needs" request concerning a CPAP machine.

Almost immediately got back an email confirming they had gotten my request. With in a couple of days, I got an email from X stating distilled water and an extention cord would be in my cabin.

You just need to let X know what your special needs are, and they will accommodate.

My husband uses a c-pap machine. Does anyone know if there are any plugs near the bad? It's been our experience that the only plugs are across the room, necessitating an extension cord. I don't want to break the rules, but I'd also rather have a rested husband who was breathing all night.

Ditto what "sptrout" said. Less than a week ago, I sent in the "special needs" request concerning a CPAP machine.

Almost immediately got back an email confirming they had gotten my request. With in a couple of days, I got an email from X stating distilled water and an extention cord would be in my cabin.

You just need to let X know what your special needs are, and they will accommodate.

This is the reason I love this site. I did fill out the application per sptrout's instructions. I had to call on my reservation about something else earlier this week. I mentioned I had filled out the necessary forms, X added it immediately. I feel confident that not only will an approved safe extension cord be in our cabin but distilled water will be as well.

This is our first X cruise and if the service on the ship is anything like the service we have been given so far, we are in for a terrific vacation.

Thank you all for your input.

This is the reason I love this site. I did fill out the application per sptrout's instructions. I had to call on my reservation about something else earlier this week. I mentioned I had filled out the necessary forms, X added it immediately. I feel confident that not only will an approved safe extension cord be in our cabin but distilled water will be as well.

This is our first X cruise and if the service on the ship is anything like the service we have been given so far, we are in for a terrific vacation.

Thank you all for your input.

Thanks folks for referencing my earlier post, but now I have to add a "but". A couple weeks ago I made the final payment via Clelbrity's website. For some reason, one of web pages said that I still owed $250, but other web pages showed the correct balance due at $0. I let it go assuming another website error. However, a couple days before the final payment date was actually due, I got an email from Celelbrity saying that I still owed $250, adding that if I did not pay this additional amount that our reservation would be canceled.

Sorry for the long story, but I then called Celebrity to find out what was going on (there is no T/A for this reservation). The CSR quickly found that the website (and email) were incorrect and that I did not owe anything. She asked if I had any other questions, so I mentioned that I had requested, via the website, a CPAP extension cord. Well, you can guess the answer, she could find no record of my request in their system. Lesson learned, check with a live person to confirm any "special needs" request.

Thanks folks for referencing my earlier post, but now I have to add a "but". A couple weeks ago I made the final payment via Clelbrity's website. For some reason, one of web pages said that I still owed $250, but other web pages showed the correct balance due at $0. I let it go assuming another website error. However, a couple days before the final payment date was actually due, I got an email from Celelbrity saying that I still owed $250, adding that if I did not pay this additional amount that our reservation would be canceled.

Sorry for the long story, but I then called Celebrity to find out what was going on (there is no T/A for this reservation). The CSR quickly found that the website (and email) were incorrect and that I did not owe anything. She asked if I had any other questions, so I mentioned that I had requested, via the website, a CPAP extension cord. Well, you can guess the answer, she could find no record of my request in their system. Lesson learned, check with a live person to confirm any "special needs" request.

I should have mentioned that after speaking to a live person at X, I saw on my booking confirmation that it clearly states C/Pap machine.

The one thing I know for sure is if you ask 3 Celebrity employees a question, you'll get 3 different answers.

From real life experience, this is my advice: Put anything questionable in your checked luggage and you (probably) won't have a problem. Celebrity is well aware that in their older ships (all ships really) there are not enough outlets for todays tech.

The problem arises when you have things like power strips in you carry on. Some cruise lines (Carnival) do have the no power strip rule and they do enforce it, but they also have loaners. The problem arises with the rent a cop security guards you have to go through. Some of these fine folks work on RCCL one day, Carnival the next, and they don't know the rules for each and every cruise line. So if you get one who worked on Carnival yesterday, they will take your power strips and there will be no 'supervisor' around to tell them the rules for Celebrity are different.

This advice goes for those bottles of wine you want to bring onboard as well. Check it.

Worst case, you get called to the naughty room and you get to plead your case, but by then at least your stuff made it onboard. Of course, if you have 'special needs' you just throw some ADA law at them, and you're on your way. Easy breezy.

Here's a post from just today or yesterday, about having a power strip snagged last year.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48187119&postcount=481

Like all contraband, enforcement is a YMMV kind of thing.

Cle....why don't you try to help as well...instead of repeating Celebrity's crazyh position. I know you are a "by the book" person, but this is a medical issue so why don't you suggest solutions rather than repeating that there's no way.

How about using your contacts at Celebrity to help....

Cle....why don't you try to help as well...instead of repeating Celebrity's crazyh position. I know you are a "by the book" person, but this is a medical issue so why don't you suggest solutions rather than repeating that there's no way.

How about using your contacts at Celebrity to help....

Special needs will take care of medically needed devices. I haven't read the entire thread to know if there are any issues, but we all know Shipside will bend overbackwads to assist and shoreside sometimes gets it wrong.

From all I have read in the past, people who need C-paps just complete the special needs form, and they arrive to an extension cord and bottle of distilled water waiting. Not there - contact cabin steward or Guest services or medical facility, and surely they will lend a hand.

Mind you, I take an extension cord(s), power strip (the euro version), and ti-tip adapters on all my trips, and have never had one taken. But I also wouldn't get upset to have it withheld either.

To me it seems clear, you want a legitimate, guaranteed extension cord for a medical issue, complete the required form, and hope for the best, and ask again once on board. There is a system in place, that from the majority of posts I've read over time, seems to work just fine.

Edited by cle-guy

A power strip is not an extension cord. An extension cord has no surge protection to it; whereas a power strip does.

I've always thought of a power strip as an extension cord with a surge protector built in. At least if the power strip has a cord attached to it.

I think the issue is, multiple outlets on a circuit not designed to provide power to multiple devices, not so much the design of the thing.

In any case, the issue has been cleared up here. And we all know, it's a YMMV thing and that 90% of people would get by without an issue.

Special needs will take care of medically needed devices. I haven't read the entire thread to know if there are any issues, but we all know Shipside will bend overbackwads to assist and shoreside sometimes gets it wrong.

From all I have read in the past, people who need C-paps just complete the special needs form, and they arrive to an extension cord and bottle of distilled water waiting. Not there - contact cabin steward or Guest services or medical facility, and surely they will lend a hand.

Mind you, I take an extension cord(s), power strip (the euro version), and ti-tip adapters on all my trips, and have never had one taken. But I also wouldn't get upset to have it withheld either.

To me it seems clear, you want a legitimate, guaranteed extension cord for a medical issue, complete the required form, and hope for the best, and ask again once on board. There is a system in place, that from the majority of posts I've read over time, seems to work just fine.

You really should read the threads before offering solutions/comments. This thread isn't about Cpap machines, it's about someone who needs multiple outlets to support a number of folks who wear hearing aids. He doesn't need an extension cord, he needs multiple 110V (presumably) outlets for drying devices and recharging devices.

the system isn't working this time...they are just saying "no power strips" but offering no solution for the OP. It IS a medical problem...Celebrity isn't bothering to focus on the real reason for the need and just hiding behind an unpublished policy.

How about trying to help, after you read the thread.

Yes, what we need is more outlets. We have "dryers" which the hearing aids and/or Cochlear Implant devices are kept in overnight to remove moisture. Some of the group uses rechargeable batteries in their hearing aids/C.I.'s and those usually last less than a day, so a set is always being charged. Then, of course, there's the cell phones (for time, camera, just our BRAINS, ha) and the tablets used to read. Some will have to charge their camera batteries too.

I'm hoping that the extension cord will give us another place to plug something in, at least one more. We shall see!

Remember to take a couple European to US power adapter gizmos, so you can adapt the Euro (not UK) plug sockets for your use.

Use the USB outlet on the TV to charge USB chargeable devices, just ,make sure the TV is turned on, I do this for my iPad that I use as clock, plug into the TV so it charges and sits at the end of the bed, and it runs overnight on battery then charges next day when I leave TV on.

You really should read the threads before offering solutions/comments. This thread isn't about Cpap machines, it's about someone who needs multiple outlets to support a number of folks who wear hearing aids. He doesn't need an extension cord, he needs multiple 110V (presumably) outlets for drying devices and recharging devices.

the system isn't working this time...they are just saying "no power strips" but offering no solution for the OP. It IS a medical problem...Celebrity isn't bothering to focus on the real reason for the need and just hiding behind an unpublished policy.

How about trying to help, after you read the thread.

My advice remains the same, see someone on board. And having reread this thread, I have offered the person with the hearing issues many useful tips over the last several months in multiple threads.

Bottom line, it will be sorted on board, without issue, we all know that.

The hearing aids plug into the 110 outlet; the other devices need charging, bring a Euro to US adapter and charge them as needed. It may require some thought to swap devices out after a couple hours, but I suspect most people are able to handle that.

My advice remains the same, see someone on board. And having reread this thread, I have offered the person with the hearing issues many useful tips over the last several months in multiple threads.

Bottom line, it will be sorted on board, without issue, we all know that.

The hearing aids plug into the 110 outlet; the other devices need charging, bring a Euro to US adapter and charge them as needed. It may require some thought to swap devices out after a couple hours, but I suspect most people are able to handle that.

He speaks the truth. He has helped me in SO MANY ways!!! Thank you, cle-guy :) When I first asked the question many months ago, I wasn't aware of just how many devices this group will need to keep powered up. I got a little worried!

I do have another question (of course <rolls eyes>). Just where are the outlets in M ships? Is there an outlet opposite the bed? I know there are two outlets at the desk and then I've heard there's a razor outlet near the ceiling in the bathroom. Is that about it?

Remember to take a couple European to US power adapter gizmos, so you can adapt the Euro (not UK) plug sockets for your use.

Use the USB outlet on the TV to charge USB chargeable devices, just ,make sure the TV is turned on, I do this for my iPad that I use as clock, plug into the TV so it charges and sits at the end of the bed, and it runs overnight on battery then charges next day when I leave TV on.

That's a good idea! I never knew until recently there was a usb port behind the t.v. That will work great for some devices we will have. I d/l a clock feature in my Kindle Fire and brought it on the last cruise. Couldn't use it though, the plug was waaaayy across the room. This is nice that I can use it with the usb port :)

I do have another question (of course <rolls eyes>). Just where are the outlets in M ships? Is there an outlet opposite the bed? I know there are two outlets at the desk and then I've heard there's a razor outlet near the ceiling in the bathroom. Is that about it?

The outlets are on the desk and the one in the bathroom.

Edited by Charles4515

There is no longer a razor outlet in M class bathrooms. It was used to power the bathroom artwork/nightlight during Solsticeization.

S class do have the razor outlet near the ceiling.

M Class bedrooms, you can unplug the bedside lamps from behind the bed and gain an outlet. These are Euro style outlets. This is the outlet I usually use my "illegal" euro power adapter power strip for, so I can replug the bedside lamp, and then use a Euro-US adapter to plug in my other devices bedside.

On S class the lamps are fixed to the wall, so no outlet bedside or behind the bed.

Here's a link to a photo of outlets on Connie at the desk from another thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42104678&postcount=2

Edited by cle-guy

Why would one not use the uk sockets as well as the Euro sockets - almost same voltage (~ 220 V Europe ,~ 230 UK) ?

Anyway most devices use the same power adaptor for charging and auto sense the ac voltage before converting to the low voltage dc required by the device.

There is no longer a razor outlet in M class bathrooms. It was used to power the bathroom artwork/nightlight during Solsticeization.

M Class bedrooms, you can unplug the bedside lamps from behind the bed and gain an outlet. These are Euro style outlets. This is the outlet I usually use my "illegal" euro power adapter power strip for, so I can replug the bedside lamp, and then use a Euro-US adapter to plug in my other devices bedside.

On S class the lamps are fixed to the wall, so no outlet bedside or behind the bed.

Thanks. I'm glad there's at least a nightlight in the bathroom. I do have two Euro adaptors but I've never used them. I'll pack both. Are those outlets controlled by a wall switch by the door?

True on the S-class ships also, and about all ships that I can remember being on (my memory may be fading - LOL). They make it very obvious that they do not want people using AC power unless absolutely necessary. The very small shelves on each side of the bed makes them almost useless. I sure miss the old style bedside stands that had real, and useful, drawers.

A real problem for CPAP users, with the only choice being to put the machine on the floor and running an extension cord from the desk to the CPAP.

Why would one not use the uk sockets as well as the Euro sockets - almost same voltage (~ 220 V Europe ,~ 230 UK) ?

Anyway most devices use the same power adaptor for charging and auto sense the ac voltage before converting to the low voltage dc required by the device.

Celebrity ships don't have UK style sockets (3 rectangular prongs) they are Euro style sockets (2 round prongs).

I'm saying sockets not power transformers. Transformers are needed generally only to convert 220 to 110, while adapters just change the style of the sockets and do not transform the power itself.

In today's age, most electronics can automatically transform 220/110. Exception being any decvice with a heating element - like a hair dryer, old-school lightbulb (not LED), humidifier etc. These NEED a transformer. But the majority of devices do not.

Thanks. I'm glad there's at least a nightlight in the bathroom. I do have two Euro adaptors but I've never used them. I'll pack both. Are those outlets controlled by a wall switch by the door?

No. They are always on.

I didn't notice they removed the bathroom outlet since I have never plugged into one ever.

I use the Euro outlets on the desk with plug adapters, but the Hearing Aid devices might not be good for 240 volts. If they are then your Euro Power strip would be a good option.

I didn't notice they removed the bathroom outlet since I have never plugged into one ever.

I use the Euro outlets on the desk with plug adapters, but the Hearing Aid devices might not be good for 240 volts. If they are then your Euro Power strip would be a good option.

My prior advice to her was to use the US outlets for hearing aids, knowing there may be issues there, and to use the Euro ones adapted for all other devices.

I use the euro strip only for euro devices and self-transforming US devices.

We typically travel with several different power strips - one for multiple USB outlets, and one for additional plugs; all are capable of operating on both the standard US 110-120 as well as international 220-240. They are usually packed in checked luggage, but have occasionally been carried in my backpack with all the other cables and batteries for iPhones, iPads, MacBook, and multiple camera cables.

We have never had a problem with them being singled out or confiscated. Additionally, we only use them when we are in the cabin to keep track of them; when we leave the cabin, they are stowed away.

Next time put them in your carry on bag and see what happens.

In today's age, most electronics can automatically transform 220/110. Exception being any decvice with a heating element - like a hair dryer, old-school lightbulb (not LED), humidifier etc. These NEED a transformer. But the majority of devices do not.

I don't know if they have changed it, but the Braun Oral B toothbrushes I used to have, their travel charger was only good for 110. The Philips Sonicare that I currently use came with a 110/220 travel charger.

Some hair dryers have a slider switch to change from 110 to 220. I know about that because a friend didn't know about the switch, or forgot about it, and fried her dryer.

Edited by Charles4515