Cell service (Verizon) on Star

doncolleen

I wish CC would publish an accurate up to date to article on this topic. There is so much misinformation on some of these threads.

If you had purchased the Verizon cruise ship package, you would not have had coverage in Tortola to receive any texts. The ship will turn off the satellite coverage while in/near port. You would have needed an International Package to have coverage while on land.

When I bought the package, I had to tell them the islands I would be on. They said everything would work on all the islands. They sent me this email:

"Thanks for contacting us about your trip that includes Tortola, St. Thomas, Norwegian Escape, and Bahamas.

Below you'll find pricing options and dialing information.

This email is not a confirmation that a plan has been added or is available to add.

Preferred Pricing talk, text & data or data only allowance for a monthly fee

•We recommend backdating the feature to the first day of the bill cycle and retaining it until the last day of the bill cycle following your return. This prevents allowance prorations and possible overages.

•Minutes on Preferred Pricing include airtime, roaming, long distance, surcharges and taxes.

•These bundles are available in Tortola, Norwegian Escape, and Bahamas

•Talk, Text, & Data bundles are available in St. Thomas, but cover voice usage only. Messaging and Data use domestic allowance.

Rate/mo

Allowance

Overage

$40 Talk: 100 min, Text: 100 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 100 MB $.25/min, $.25/msg, $25/100MB

$85 Talk: 250 min, Text: 250 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 250 MB $.25/min, $.25/msg, $25/100MB

$25 Data: 100 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $25/100MB

$50 Data: 250 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $25/100MB

Pay As You Go Rates

•If no International plan (TravelPass or Preferred Pricing) is added, usage will be billed at Pay As You Go rates.

•Calls to numbers within the destination country and calls to US numbers are allowed without any International feature. Pay As You Go rates apply.

Talk Rates Per Min

Text Sent / Received

Multimedia Msg

Data Rates

To/From US, CA, MX, PR mobile numbers

To/From mobile numbers of other countries

Pay As You Go (No Allowance)

Tortola $1.79 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

St. Thomas $1.79 Domestic / Domestic Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 Domestic

Norwegian Escape $1.79 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

Bahamas $1.79 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

Voice and Messaging

•Important: Multimedia (Picture and Video) Messaging incurs international data usage based on the size of the attachment.

•You’re charged per message/per address. (If one message is sent to 3 people, you’re charged for 3 messages.)

•International Talk rates apply when checking Voice Mail. For Visual Voice Mail, only international data usage applies.

•Text allowances (like the Talk, Text & Data bundle) include multimedia messages too.

Data

•Data usage can add up quickly. We recommend an International Travel data allowance. Add the plan for the entire bill cycle(s) of travel so that you get the full monthly data allowance to use during your trip.

•Review our International Travel Data Tips for helpful info and the Data Calculator to estimate usage.

•Once you're traveling, our data alerts will help you manage your usage or check it on My Verizon.

World Device

•Before leaving the U.S., be sure to power your device off/on to refresh the network settings.

•For most voice devices, the default setting for Data Roaming is OFF. To use data, you must enable this feature by either:◦Selecting 'Enable Data' via a pop-up message on your device when powering up outside the U.S. OR

◦Making the change in device settings. Consult your User Guide on our Support page.

•Trouble with your device? If you can't place a call from your device, reach International Support using the Customer Service from a landline instruction below. You may incur toll charges.

•When traveling outside the U.S.:◦We can’t guarantee coverage or network quality, which are dependent on the roaming carrier’s network

◦Some features may not be available, such as Voice Mail notification, Usage Controls and Advanced Calling.

Dialing Instructions

Country Code From To Dial Network Instruction

1 Tortola U.S. CDMA Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 Tortola Local CDMA Dial Area Code (284) then 7-digit local number

1 Tortola Other Countries CDMA Dial 011 then Country Code then international number

1 Tortola Customer Service CDMA Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Tortola U.S. GSM Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 Tortola Local GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable)

1 Tortola Other Countries GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then international number

1 Tortola Customer Service GSM Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Tortola Customer Service from a landline None Dial 011 1 800 -50050099

1 St. Thomas U.S. CDMA Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 St. Thomas Local CDMA Dial Area Code (340) then 7-digit local number

1 St. Thomas Other Countries CDMA Dial 011 then Country Code then international number

1 St. Thomas Customer Service CDMA Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 St. Thomas Customer Service from a landline None Dial 011 800-50050099

Norwegian Escape U.S. GSM Dial 011 then 1 then Number

Norwegian Escape Other Countries GSM Dial 011 then Country Code then Number

Norwegian Escape Customer Service GSM Dial 011 then 1 then 908-559-4899

Norwegian Escape U.S. CDMA Dial 011 then 1 then Number

Norwegian Escape Other Countries CDMA Dial 011 then Country Code then Number

Norwegian Escape Customer Service CDMA Dial 011 then 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Bahamas U.S. CDMA Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 Bahamas Local CDMA Dial Area Code (242) then 7-digit local number

1 Bahamas Other Countries CDMA Dial 011 then Country Code then international number

1 Bahamas Customer Service CDMA Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Bahamas U.S. GSM Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 Bahamas Local GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable)

1 Bahamas Other Countries GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then international number

1 Bahamas Customer Service GSM Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Bahamas Customer Service from a landline None Dial 1-8443945536

•On most devices, the Plus Sign (+) appears when you press and hold the 0 key or the * key. Find your user guide online if needed.

•Your device may have an International Dial key that automatically inserts the exit code for outbound calls.

•To check your Voice Mail, use the “U.S.” instructions above and call your mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted. If you’re unable to retrieve, turn off the world device and call your mobile number from another phone.

Manage Your International Services

•From Your Computer:◦Use the Trip Planner to see rates, plan options, and coverage maps.

◦Check your international usage and add or remove International Plans at any time in My Verizon.

•From Your Device (incurs data usage):◦Use My Verizon Mobile toSee if your device is set to travel with International Ready Check.

Monitor usage and update your International Plan

◦Receive data usage alerts directly to your device via text/email"

When I bought the package, I had to tell them the islands I would be on. They said everything would work on all the islands.

That's how it was for me on both of my recent cruises (Europe and Bahamas). At the Verizon website, I selected which ship and which countries I would be in, and my phone worked for me on the ship between ports and in each country I visited. It's a shame it didn't work for you in Tortola. I wonder if they'd be willing to give you a credit since it didn't work like it was supposed to. But, being Verizon, probably not. :(

The $40. plan with Verizon included 100 voice minutes, 100 outgoing texts and unlimited incoming texts. We also have internet included with our suite. I'll let you know how it goes mickev99.

This must be a new plan from Verizon. We always paid $25 and got 100mb of data (which is useless) but no calling or texts included.

That's how it was for me on both of my recent cruises (Europe and Bahamas). At the Verizon website, I selected which ship and which countries I would be in, and my phone worked for me on the ship between ports and in each country I visited. It's a shame it didn't work for you in Tortola. I wonder if they'd be willing to give you a credit since it didn't work like it was supposed to. But, being Verizon, probably not. :(

Did your email work, because mine did not work the whole trip?

This must be a new plan from Verizon. We always paid $25 and got 100mb of data (which is useless) but no calling or texts included.

The $25 plan is still available (or at least it at the beginning of November when I took my last cruise) with no calling/texts included but a reduced per-minute charge for calls. Not sure if there was a discount for texts.

Did your email work, because mine did not work the whole trip?

I turned email off for the duration of both my cruises, so I can't say. I agree with mein18 that 100 MB of data is completely worthless (although it did allow me to send one pic to friends/family from GSC), so I disabled all email on my phone--I didn't want to blow through the 100 MB of data because my phone auto-downloaded emails I didn't need to see. Everyone knew I was on vacation and that if they needed to get a hold of me, email was not the way to do it.

Once I was back in the U.S. and enabled email on my phone again, as far as I can tell, I received all of them.

So We also bought the $40 per phone Verizon plan. Is it true that we will NOT have to purchase the NCL wifi package and still be able to call home and text just using our 100 text messages and 100 calling minutes??? We are on the 10 night Gem cruise tomorrow. Thank you for any clarification

So We also bought the $40 per phone Verizon plan. Is it true that we will NOT have to purchase the NCL wifi package and still be able to call home and text just using our 100 text messages and 100 calling minutes??? We are on the 10 night Gem cruise tomorrow. Thank you for any clarification

If you bought only the $40 Cruise Package, that is correct. No need for wifi. Your phone will display Cellular at Sea where it would normally say Verizon as long as you have service while at sea. Once you are in port, the ship will turn off the satellite service and you will default to normal pay as you go international rates.

If you bought the $40 international plan that includes countries as well as cruise ships, your texts and minutes will work in port using whatever carrier is local to the countries you visit. Just make sure you confirm on Verizon's website that the countries you're visiting are on the list. It's pretty extensive. Have a great cruise!

So,,, the $40 plan includes 100 mb of data (which you could blow through really quickly). You either need to turn off your data for a week (no email, surfing, steaming or even the most basic apps that reach out over the Internet for data) or reconfigure all of your apps to only reach out when you ask them to. After that, you are charged $25 for any portion of 100mb you use.

Text message: if you have an iPhone and use iMessage. That is NOT a text message. It is done over the Internet (data plan or wifi).

We used the 100 mg of data roaming in port to download emails, answer them offline and then turn on data roaming to send the replies. This is way faster than the ship's wifi. We could download maybe 30 emails in a couple of minutes when we were too lazy to find free wifi. Most connections were 3 and 4G.

We frequently rent cars in port and except for one place up in the hills of Aruba we could use the map function if we needed directions.

We only went over our data allotment once in Europe when my phone was stolen and we had to download a whole bunch of stuff to dh's phone. We got a warning that we were going to exceed our data limit and they charged us an extra $40. When we had a strong signal (4G) it took us maybe 5 minutes to do in port what would have taken maybe 30 minutes onboard. If we had used the ship's wifi it would have taken significantly longer and cost more.

Of course fast free shore wifi would have been best but we didn't want to take the time to find it. We often get a great signal on our balcony in port.

Edited by Viv0828

So,,, the $40 plan includes 100 mb of data (which you could blow through really quickly). You either need to turn off your data for a week (no email, surfing, steaming or even the most basic apps that reach out over the Internet for data) or reconfigure all of your apps to only reach out when you ask them to.

That's exactly what I did--turned off basically everything on my iPhone. I posted once a day on Facebook in each country I visited (and on the sea day) during my 7-day cruise and used data for nothing else, and I was just under 100MB at the end of the week. Made it home with no overages, but like you said, you have to be very restrictive and disciplined to stay under.

Thank you everyone for this! I'm a first time cruiser, and have no idea what I'm doing. Lol I will definitely look into this option for my escape sailing. Does this affect their iconcierge app at all? Figured I'd use tht with my friends who are sailing with. And the Verizon plan for family/friends/posting back home. Or, am I over thinking this?

So member of our family have iPhones, so we use iMessage (internet text messaging vs. telephone company text services) to text back and forth. We have been on multiple NCL ships this year and have purchased wifi plans that allow us to text (via iMessage) back home to the US. Satellite-based internet works fine for texting and email. Kinda slow for surfing the web.

We actually buy one wifi plan and successfully cycle 4 phones (personal and work) and 2 iPads using the single plan throughout the day.

Also by getting the ships plan you can also audio FaceTime as well. It's just Like making a phone call!!! Video uses too much so go with audio.