LIVE: 11/2 Nieuw Amsterdam transatlantic - TravelingWithTheJones

travelinjones

We did early disembarkation and were in a taxi to the airport by 8:05 am. Lines were long and congested to get off the ship but immigration /customs moved quickly.

One great improvement, there is a Global Entry line now, but it's not totally functional yet. Today it was used for the crew as the entire ship has to clear since it was a first entry into the US for the season.

Actually I used the global entry line when I debarked the eurodam on November 1st. I had to ask about it so they certainly don't make it obvious but it likely saved me about a half hour.

One strategy we use if we are trying to make an "early" flight on Southwest Airlines is to book 'back-up' flights that depart later. If some delay happens that means we can't make the first flight, we are covered with a backup. As long as you cancel whichever flight that you aren't going to use more than 10 minutes before departure, there is no penalty on Southwest Airlines.

Actually I used the global entry line when I debarked the eurodam on November 1st. I had to ask about it so they certainly don't make it obvious but it likely saved me about a half hour.

This is very exciting! I'm looking forward to using it next month. I hope they start making it available at other ports as well.

Did they have the finger scanner like at the airport? We heard they do not but there is a marked line to the far right side (it wasn't available today because of the crew processing was occurring in that line.)

Still excited that progress on Global Entry is being made at the port.

Edited by travelinjones

Did they have the finger scanner like at the airport? We heard they do not but there is a marked line to the far right side (it wasn't available today because of the crew processing was occurring in that line.)

Still excited that progress on Global Entry is being made at the port.

Iirc they didn't. You still had to present yourself to be seen by an agent but you had a way shorter line. I've been thru so many airports lately I can't think straight. When I went thru it they did not have the line open but I'd asked about it the week before. It was not welcoming at all. I was just going to go thru the regular line but others were going thru it so I thought what the heck.

Sure they were Gobal Entry kiosks and not passport e-readers that are now at many airports?

I can't see the CBP add GE kiosks at ports where face-to-face customs meetings are very common'you needed (much more than in airports).

Not sure if you are addressing the op or myself. There is a sign that says global entry. Out of curiosity, why is it more important at ports than the airport. Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thx.

Not sure if you are addressing the op or myself. There is a sign that says global entry. Out of curiosity, why is it more important at ports than the airport. Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thx.

That's god to know. Global Entry is a lifesaver!

The majority of people leaving a cruise ship declaring customs due to purchase is higher than an international flight. Numbers make it so, abd the CBP is cheap so surprised they'd fund this. It's great they have!

Changing the subject, have you tried the new New York Pizzeria on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

It took more than 30 minutes to get our pizza but it was a major improvement over prior HAL pizza.[ATTACH]368810[/ATTACH]

Thank you for bringing this back to the subject of your thread. I wouldn't mind waiting if the pizza is good. Are these personal size pizzas?

Changing the subject, have you tried the new New York Pizzeria on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

It took more than 30 minutes to get our pizza but it was a major improvement over prior HAL pizza.[ATTACH]368810[/ATTACH]

Oh my gosh that looks delicious! We were super spoiled by the pizza on MSC and that at least looks close to the same quality. One more thing to look forward to next month :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pizza on the NA during our TA last week WAS good.......But after spending 4 nights in Rome with their pizza........and then having the most wonderful pizza ever in Naples on a streetside cafe, it will take a lot to ever enjoy American pizza again...............I personally have never enjoyed over one slice of any American pizza.....but the NA version was passable (read that reealy good in my case) and the best I have had on most cruise lines and comparable to the Margharita pizza on Carnival Dream

Thanks HAL for the great Dive In and Pizza stop add ins to the cruise ships