Car Rental from Belize City

Bluefox

Just wondering if anyone has any up to date info on car rental from the port. I had read Hertz is a block away and there's a place called Crystal but I don't see cruise terminal info on their webpage- anyone know? Thanks!

I don't know about car rental, but having been to Belize many times, mostly south of Belize City, I'm wondering what you plan to drive to? Towns are few and far between and there are no good beaches in that area.

Hertz has an office a short distance from the tender pier, called CarsBelize. It's behind the Radisson Fort George on Cork Street. They rent hourly or daily to cruise passengers. Crystal is up by the airport. Not sure of the prices, but like the previous poster said, unless you're heading to one of the typical excursion sites like Altun Ha, the Baboon Sanctuary or the zoo, on your own, not sure why you'd want to rent a car for a couple of hours.

Well, FYI we are trying to do the zoo on our own. I don't like cruise line excursions, and actually our sailing doesn't even offer an excursion there. But also, we are the types who like to rent cars in foreign countries and explore a bit. We actually have been to Belize City before but we weren't looking for rental cars then; we did the cavern tubing through a local company.

Edited by Bluefox

Well, FYI we are trying to do the zoo on our own. I don't like cruise line excursions, and actually our sailing doesn't even offer an excursion there. But also, we are the types who like to rent cars in foreign countries and explore a bit. We actually have been to Belize City before but we weren't looking for rental cars then; we did the cavern tubing through a local company.

Then check out CarsBelize as it's your closest option and they do have hourly rates if you don't need it a full day. Just remember that the 2 major roads out of Belize City, Northern Highway and Western Highway are generally single lane each way and though paved aren't always maintained. Many side roads outside of the city are gravel at best. Be sure to get full liability insurance. There can be police check points where you need to show documents and proof of insurance.

I checked there a few days ago and it seems they have sold out :/

While many don't rent cars, the Jade will be the 4th ship in port that day. over 11,000 cruisers/crew. And since the Jade is a last minute entry, with Harvest Caye not opening until early next year, doesn't surprise me that they'd be taken.

Look at hiring a taxi once you reach the tender pier.