diabetic menu

scottrt

sailing on grandeur of the seas next month, does anyone know if a diabetic menu is offered? if so, do I have the TA contact rccl prior to embarkment or let the waiters know on the first night of the need.

any help is appreciated.

Per RCI's website:

What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

We can accommodate most special dietary needs, such as Food Allergies, Gluten-free, Vegetarian (except for Vegan/Macrobiotic and Lacto-ovo vegetarian), Low-fat, Low Sodium, Lactaid/Soy Milk, Ensure, and Kosher meals at no extra charge.

Below is a description of each and what is required prior to sailing.

POLICY

Unfortunately we may not be able to accommodate all special dietary requirements. Anything that is faxed or e-mailed within 2 weeks of sailing is dependent on the ship's product availability. We try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

E-mails will receive an auto-response. Faxed requests will not receive a response unless there is an e-mail address. Guests are asked not to call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with their specific questions.con_bulletgray_ico.gifcon_bulletgray_ico.gifDIABETIC MEALS

We do not have a separate diabetic menu, however, we do offer sugar-free desserts on all of our main dining room lunch and dinner menus as well as in the Windjammer Cafe. This does not have to be ordered in advance.

scottrt

The above post answers your question. My question is to you. Was the only concern you had regarding the desserts? I have been a diabetic for 43 years and the portions they serve on the cruise is perfect for counting the carbs. It depends on the type of diabetes you have. The menus offered on ship are varied enough were you should have no problem picking something lower in carbs and fat. I am a type one diabetic and I am lucky where I can adjust my insulin to the foods I eat. If you are a type II that is harder I admit but as I said earlier as long as you ,ake wise decisions in your selection of entrees you should have no problem. Also, their sugar free desserts are delicious! Especially the ice cream.

sailing on grandeur of the seas next month, does anyone know if a diabetic menu is offered? if so, do I have the TA contact rccl prior to embarkment or let the waiters know on the first night of the need.

any help is appreciated.

Well that is differant for each diabetic. For ex. I was on a menu that allowed me 9 starches a day. As my diabetics worsened it was cut to 5 a day. As you know by the menu you are allowed so many servings of fruit and certain type vegs. a day also that are not considered starches. Hopefully you have been to a dietician who has explained how big a serving is.

A good ex. is mashed potatoes is a "starch". A serving allowed is pretty small. So if you go to a restuarant like Folks or Cracker Barrel the serving of potatoes they bring you is like 3 times the size of a serving allowed.

Hopefully too you check your blood sugar often. I know I have found just how much something I eat will run up my blood sugar just by testing myself so I know exactly how much I can safely eat.

What I do is pretty much stick to the low carb menu on a cruise-though I do allow myself a treat here and there. (now in my case my medication does not endanger me with insulin shock-if you are on insulin you may not can do this) My blood sugar always stays great-only if I do something like go to the supper club/speciality restuarant do I get in trouble as there you seemed to be offered so much more and there is more to "tempted" with.

My typical meal for the day on a cruise is. An omlet for breakfast. One slice of toast. One glass of orange juice. Lunch I eat a salad. Afternoon snack I have some of the self serve ice cream on the lido. (not the Ben and Jerry's) Dinner I have whatever meat and vegs are served though I usually stay away from pasta dishes and go easy on the rice, corn, potatoes and bread. If I do not eat any of the "starchy" vegs. at dinner I will allow myself one serving of dessert. I allow myself only 1 alcoholic drink in the evening.

Hopefully this can help you but then it all depends on what diet you have been given and what medication you are on. The best thing you can do is check your blood sugar often so it does not go too low or too high.

Archived