Do we buy a dining upgrade? Escape

lastminutemama

We have the UBP for our December cruise on the Escape.

I have never done NCL before and don't know what to expect.

There are many foodies in our group. Will we be happy eating in the MDR most nights? Are there other dinner options included? Are the dining plans worth it or is it almost as reasonable to pay as you go?

I like to really research before trips and I'm finding it hard to feel like I know much at all about this one. When we did Oasis I felt completely armed with knowledge to have the best trip possible.

My mom is joining us too and her last cruise was in 88 and she's had no desire to try another so I'm hoping this is a good experience for her too.

While I'm here....any suggestions for threads or sites to really learn about how to make the most out of what NCL has to offer?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the specialty dining package is worthwhile and makes the trip more enjoyable. The SDP gives you the opportunity to try different venues and cuisines, eg French, Steakhouse, churrascuria. We've also found that the specialty restaurants are more intimate than the main dining room.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

There are many foodies in our group. Will we be happy eating in the MDR most nights? Are there other dinner options included? Are the dining plans worth it or is it almost as reasonable to pay as you go?

I like to really research before trips and I'm finding it hard to feel like I know much at all about this one. When we did Oasis I felt completely armed with knowledge to have the best trip possible.

My mom is joining us too and her last cruise was in 88 and she's had no desire to try another so I'm hoping this is a good experience for her too.

While I'm here....any suggestions for threads or sites to really learn about how to make the most out of what NCL has to offer?

Thanks

If you have true foodies in your group, I would highly recommend you buy at least a few nights of the SDP. Some of the Specialties will be a la carte pricing if you don't have a dining oackage, so this could save you some money. The aft MDR is nice as it is very elegant and has live music and dancing during dinner hours. There are two smaller MDRs as well, Taste and Savor as well as 24 hour O'Sheehans, the buffet and Margaritaville, all included in your cruise fare.

I recommend you read the NCL website and this board to learn as much about NCL and the ship as you can pre cruise. If your group wants to attend shows and dinners together you will probably want to learn what shows are offered on what days and book your tickets now on MYNCL. Only the dinner show at the Supper Club has a fee ( For the Record ), $15 with the SDP package. Others are free, but can be pre booked. You can then book dinners either before or after your shows. Allow a couple hours for dinner.

While the specialty restaurants offer upscale foods, foodies would love Food Republic (a la carte), Pincho Tapas bar (included in the SDP with upcharge), and the cabaret show (SDP with upcharge).

Pincho Tapa Bar Menu

5ca5ed996794b5b7200ef2ee98af472a.jpg

Sample Food Republic

71325c4ca08833a5cc1285302814b9fe.jpg

5d1c9b0bc191346d436687461e2264f1.jpg

957b87cd1d34a77ca9c31a4f88eb07a7.jpg

Cabaret 5 Course Menu

75fd18aa849eb1d59ec51dd2519174f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the specialty restaurants offer upscale foods, foodies would love Food Republic (a la carte), Pincho Tapas bar (included in the SDP with upcharge), and the cabaret show (SDP with upcharge).

Pincho Tapa Bar Menu

5ca5ed996794b5b7200ef2ee98af472a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that the Tapas bar is included in the SDP. It is a la carte. Bayamo is included with an upcharge.

Thanks

We always get the UDP (now SDP) because the MDR food is not very good. The specialties are very good. Well worth the extra cost. We just factor the cost into our cruise cost.

6&8

This may be a bit of a no-brainer, but for me it depends on port times and where you are eating. We originally booked the UDP for our Alaskan cruise, but once on board I noticed several of our port times went into the evening. Well, we didn't want to eat on board and wanted to experience the local culture. So, we sort of wasted our money. However, if you are departing every day around 5:00pm and will be eating on the ship, then I think the UDP is worth it.

I don't think that the Tapas bar is included in the SDP. It is a la carte. Bayamo is included with an upcharge.

Incorrect. If you have the SDP, the Tapas bar was a $7 up charge + tip. So, for $7, you could eat as many and as much of the Tapas on the menu as you wanted. BTW: All specialty restaurants on the Escape are a la carte (except Moderno and Teppanyaki which are all you can eat meat and fixed menu). You now pay by the item at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cuccina, Bayamo, Food Republic, Tapas.

Edited by BirdTravels

We've been on six NCLs this last year and have yet to eat in the MDR so can't tell you about them but I like to eat good food no matter what the cost just me. Never had a bad meal always get the UDP and take advantage of it. We are high comp levels with both Carnival and Royal and thought we would give NCL a try and glad we did. If you read enough reviews you will see some people love a ship and other hate the same ship a cruise most of the time is what you make of it. If you take a cruise in a regular state room and then in a Haven you will find a much different cruise,love the haven. So if you want a inside room fine or if you want the Haven fine you get what you can afford but enjoy the cruise make the most of it.

Incorrect. If you have the SDP, the Tapas bar was a $7 up charge + tip. So, for $7, you could eat as many and as much of the Tapas on the menu as you wanted. BTW: All specialty restaurants on the Escape are a la carte (except Moderno and Teppanyaki which are all you can eat meat and fixed menu). You now pay by the item at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cuccina, Bayamo, Food Republic, Tapas.

It's $7, plus 18% gratuity, plus the use of one of your SDP meals. So for approximately $28 - $30, you can eat all you want there.