Any Feedback on Itinerary?

ceilidh1

Hello! We are doing a 3 night coastal from Vancouver to LA in December (2 adults, 2 kids). Our plan is to either take Amtrak or private van from San Pedro to Carlsbad - stay one night at Grand Pacific Palisades and do Legoland, then take Amtrak to San Diego for 3 nights at Manchester Grand Hyatt. We will fly back to Vancouver from San Diego.

Anyone have any feedback about the hotels? Good choice / central?

Thoughts on whether to take amtrak or van? Advantage with van is that we won't have to go up to LA before heading down to Carlsbad and will be "door to door" and faster. Disadvantage with van is that it will cost more and we will likely have to bring car seats...

Do Amtrak. Many parts are along the ocean.

The hotel you chose, is it close to the Amtrak in San Diego? How are you going to get around San Diego?

The children's museum is a lot of fun.

How about renting a car? If done in advance you can rent car seats.

Edited by SadieN

Do Amtrak. Many parts are along the ocean.

One of my very favorite memories: Taking Amtrak to San Diego from LA, and looking out the window as we sat in the Del Mar station. We were right next to the beach and I was watching the surfers out in the waves. And then I saw they weren't alone--there were several dolphins playing in the waves and surfing alongside them!

Yes, definitely, take Amtrak. It's a beautiful route.

Thanks for the suggestions! We wouldn't be going by Amtrak from San Pedro to San Diego - we are stopping at Carlsbad first. The thing that puts me off Amtrak is having to go all the way up to LA Union Station by bus to then get on a train to travel South again! I have a quote of $100 for a private van to take us to Carlsbad so am leaning toward this. We will definitely take Amtrak from Carlsbad into San Diego!

Manchester Grand Hyatt is an excellent choice and walkable from the train station. Centrally located if you are going to stay in the downtown area, which there is plenty to see and do and the trolley is right there for public transportation to get around.