Comments and Recommendations, Please!

lalenalei

Hello!

We will be doing B2B on Mariner for the holidays and am looking for individualized advice, so didn't want to hijack other threads. Port Klang, Langkawi, Phuket...second time around is Georgetown/Penang instead of Langkawi.

We are 2A, 2C (9-year-old twin boys). We love to travel and have been all over the world, with our most extensive experiences in Europe. We are from Hawaii, so that will impact some of my questions below...

1) We have bookings at both the Four Seasons Singapore and Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre. Hard to find places that accommodate 4. We don't need anything amazing in particular (and are paying for one night despite arriving at 1 or 2am). Is the Four Seasons worth it? It's about $350 USD more for the two nights, but it does include breakfast, so this is why I thought it would be a good choice.

2) With all of the comments re: KL traffic, I have prebooked the Batu Caves through RCI. The trip advisor reviews aren't that stellar, but we have no interest in shopping or theme parks. Of all the RCI choices, I believe this one to be best for our family.

3) I have contacted a bike excursion company to see if we can arrange a private tour in Phuket. We have no desire to go to a beach or go snorkeling, so Phi Phi or Centara are not what we are looking for. I'm also very hesitant to do the elephant ride...I feel badly for them.

4) No idea what to do in Penang. RCI actually has a bike tour, but the boys are too young. I may try to find a private bike tour there as well.

I have no idea what I am doing, as this is our first time in SE Asia. I would appreciate any comments or info, especially if I'm not considering a must-do in any of these ports.

One last thing...since we are repeating the same ports within a week of each other, we can try to do more things. But I think they won't want to wake up early on New Year's Day after staying up late, so that means nothing early on our second Phuket port day.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

I have heard back from the bike tour. We will be booking a private tour with them. Understand that they must reserve the entire minivan for us -- just wish we knew more people to share the experience and cost! It is Amazing Bike Tours. Anyone use them before?

Also got an email from Dev's (kayak tour of the Mangroves). We will also arrange a tour directly with them, although it will be shared. Any feedback on this company?

WELCOME to Singapore. :)

You may like to try Festive Hotel or Hard Rock Hotel etc at Sentosa. At Sentosa, your kids may like Universal Studio, Adventure Cove and various attractions there.

For Penang, Kek Lok Si Temple may be interesting.

For Phuket, you may like to try Fantasea.

This time of the year is the raining season in SE Asia. Anyway, do wish you have a great time in SE Asia. :D

WELCOME to Singapore. :)

You may like to try Festive Hotel or Hard Rock Hotel etc at Sentosa. At Sentosa, your kids may like Universal Studio, Adventure Cove and various attractions there.

For Penang, Kek Lok Si Temple may be interesting.

For Phuket, you may like to try Fantasea.

This time of the year is the raining season in SE Asia. Anyway, do wish you have a great time in SE Asia. :D

Thank you! How was Mariner last month???

I totally forgot to mention that we are staying three days in Tokyo before flying to Singapore. We will be at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea. I think we prefer to do more cultural things in SE Asia.

I'll look at the hotels, though! Have always wanted to try a Hard Rock, and my sons loved Universal Orlando (lukewarm on the Hollywood version).

I may just book the cruise excursion for Penang (second cruise), because it includes Kek Lok Si and Penang Hill. Not too many private options.

Thank you! How was Mariner last month???

I totally forgot to mention that we are staying three days in Tokyo before flying to Singapore. We will be at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea. I think we prefer to do more cultural things in SE Asia.

I'll look at the hotels, though! Have always wanted to try a Hard Rock, and my sons loved Universal Orlando (lukewarm on the Hollywood version).

I may just book the cruise excursion for Penang (second cruise), because it includes Kek Lok Si and Penang Hill. Not too many private options.

Haha, they may like the Transformer ride. When in Singapore, do experience the Train (MRT) rides. Probably Chinatown in Singapore would be a great stop.

I'm not sure how many days you have in Singapore. If you are into Gardens, than Botanical Gardens (UNESCO) or Gardens by the Bay would be very nice places to go.

We enjoyed our first Royal Caribbean cruise. Our little one like it so much that we booked 2 more cruises with Royal Caribbean on the Ovation. Food wise, Princess was better in the MDR. Activities, Royal Caribbean was better and I'm sure the Ovation of the Sea would be even better. We made many friends on this cruise from Australia, Germany, US, Hong Kong etc. Some are planning to visit Singapore again. :)

I'm sure you and your family would like the Mariner as much as we did. The 7 nights we did was too short a trip haha. :)

Feel free to ask. We may be free to show you around Singapore.

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/Promotions/category/Attractions?gclid=CIP86PSxgMkCFYgqjgodiucEjg&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g294264-d1447340-Reviews-s1-Resorts_World_Sentosa_Festive_Hotel-Sentosa_Island.html

https://www.sbg.org.sg/

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

Haha, they may like the Transformer ride. When in Singapore, do experience the Train (MRT) rides. Probably Chinatown in Singapore would be a great stop.

I'm not sure how many days you have in Singapore. If you are into Gardens, than Botanical Gardens (UNESCO) or Gardens by the Bay would be very nice places to go.

We enjoyed our first Royal Caribbean cruise. Our little one like it so much that we booked 2 more cruises with Royal Caribbean on the Ovation. Food wise, Princess was better in the MDR. Activities, Royal Caribbean was better and I'm sure the Ovation of the Sea would be even better. We made many friends on this cruise from Australia, Germany, US, Hong Kong etc. Some are planning to visit Singapore again. :)

I'm sure you and your family would like the Mariner as much as we did. The 7 nights we did was too short a trip haha. :)

Feel free to ask. We may be free to show you around Singapore.

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/Promotions/category/Attractions?gclid=CIP86PSxgMkCFYgqjgodiucEjg&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g294264-d1447340-Reviews-s1-Resorts_World_Sentosa_Festive_Hotel-Sentosa_Island.html

https://www.sbg.org.sg/

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

Thank you so much! When I went to the link to Resort World, I discovered that I had been there already, as well as the Hard Rock (autofilled when I started typing). It's sad when you've researched so much that you don't even remember going to websites!

Thank you also for the other links. I will check them out. We only have one full day in Singapore. Sad about that, but the boys miss too much school, so we have to get back. We are staying overnight (Crowne Plaza at the airport) after the cruise. Perhaps we can also use that day to explore some of the sights.

Thank you so much! When I went to the link to Resort World, I discovered that I had been there already, as well as the Hard Rock (autofilled when I started typing). It's sad when you've researched so much that you don't even remember going to websites!

Thank you also for the other links. I will check them out. We only have one full day in Singapore. Sad about that, but the boys miss too much school, so we have to get back. We are staying overnight (Crowne Plaza at the airport) after the cruise. Perhaps we can also use that day to explore some of the sights.

Some links that may interest you.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/ubin/

http://www.yoursingapore.com/see-do-singapore/culture-heritage/heritage-discovery/haw-par-villa.html

Do try Chicken Rice in Singapore if you got the opportunity. Don't have it at the Hotel (usually expensive and not that fantastic).

Edited by cruiserinsg

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Orchard Park and were quite pleased with the hotel. Lots of places reasonable to eat around it and easy to get to public transit to get you anywhere you would like to go.

Yes the public transit (MRT) is a good way to explore Singapore. Taxi is not expensive too. :)

https://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eguide/mrt_sys_map.htm

I tried to price out Marina Bay Sands, and it is sold out. Wow, the pool!

I am looking at Haw Par Villa. I LOVE Tiger Balm! No seriously, it's the only muscle ointment that works for me! haha

We were on Mariner in March out of Shanghai. We met some very nice people, two of whom were on your cruise. We will see them when they visit the islands in the spring!

I tried to price out Marina Bay Sands, and it is sold out. Wow, the pool!

I am looking at Haw Par Villa. I LOVE Tiger Balm! No seriously, it's the only muscle ointment that works for me! haha

We were on Mariner in March out of Shanghai. We met some very nice people, two of whom were on your cruise. We will see them when they visit the islands in the spring!

Let me guess...you probably bring back lots of Tiger Balm to Hawaii? :D

Those out of China, reviews were mostly bad but we are taking the chance with the Ovation OTS out of Tianjin in November. Want to join us? :)

Interesting that you met 2 person in our cruise from yours. I may know them from our Roll Call. Haha. We were the only Singaporean in CC on that Roll Call. Keep in touch and should you need any information (but can tell that you probably have all your plans fixed by now) or assistance in Singapore, don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Let me guess...you probably bring back lots of Tiger Balm to Hawaii? :D

Those out of China, reviews were mostly bad but we are taking the chance with the Ovation OTS out of Tianjin in November. Want to join us? :)

Interesting that you met 2 person in our cruise from yours. I may know them from our Roll Call. Haha. We were the only Singaporean in CC on that Roll Call. Keep in touch and should you need any information (but can tell that you probably have all your plans fixed by now) or assistance in Singapore, don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Thank you so much for all the info. We are okay with returning to China for a land tour, but not for a cruise. It was really difficult to deal with the other passengers...but we had fun anyway! And yes, Tiger Balm foreverrrrrrr! :)

Thank you so much for all the info. We are okay with returning to China for a land tour, but not for a cruise. It was really difficult to deal with the other passengers...but we had fun anyway! And yes, Tiger Balm foreverrrrrrr! :)

If we are in town, we would gladly show you around Singapore if you want.

Hi lalenalei,

We are doing the same cruise as you....can you send any info about the bike tour you are planning on doing in Phuket?

We are also 2A 2C and my girls are 9 and 6.

We are arriving Dec 27 and spending 2 nights pre cruise and then 7 nights post cruise in Singapore (and then we are going to Hong Kong).

We are actually thinking of hiring a driver for KL, as I think it will work out way cheaper, plus I want to do the caves and the Petronas Towers view, but not the other stuff so maybe we can come back quicker to the boat.

Have no idea what to do in Penang...from what I have read so far, unless you are a foodie doesn't seem like a lot there.

Following the replies as well...

Hi lalenalei,

Have no idea what to do in Penang...from what I have read so far, unless you are a foodie doesn't seem like a lot there.

You could take the tram up to Penang hill and you could visit the temple called Kek Lok Si(Chinese temple) It's rather impressive and probably the more famous temple in Penang then have some local food such as Penang laksa etc.

I'm probably going to do this itinerary when the ship docks there.

Hi lalenalei,

We are doing the same cruise as you....can you send any info about the bike tour you are planning on doing in Phuket?

We are also 2A 2C and my girls are 9 and 6.

We are arriving Dec 27 and spending 2 nights pre cruise and then 7 nights post cruise in Singapore (and then we are going to Hong Kong).

We are actually thinking of hiring a driver for KL, as I think it will work out way cheaper, plus I want to do the caves and the Petronas Towers view, but not the other stuff so maybe we can come back quicker to the boat.

WELCOME to Singapore. Hope you and your family have a great time here. :)

Thanks cruiserinsg! Super excited about this trip...

:)

Wavesplasher, that looks like a fine idea, I don't think I will book any of the excursions the boat is offering, so this sounds like something we could do that isn't too full on (although my kids are fussy eaters :eek:, I would happily down a laksa!). Was looking at the hop on hop off bus as an option.

Welcome to Singapore!

Cruiserinsg talked about chicken rice. Definitely must try. It looks like this and widely available in food courts and coffeeshops.

[YOUTUBE]gLtLQwnIqNM[/YOUTUBE]

I agree that Universal Studios is good for kids. The park is not very big, but enough to entertain them for most of the day.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Hello!

We will be doing B2B on Mariner for the holidays and am looking for individualized advice, so didn't want to hijack other threads. Port Klang, Langkawi, Phuket...second time around is Georgetown/Penang instead of Langkawi.

We are 2A, 2C (9-year-old twin boys). We love to travel and have been all over the world, with our most extensive experiences in Europe. We are from Hawaii, so that will impact some of my questions below...

1) We have bookings at both the Four Seasons Singapore and Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre. Hard to find places that accommodate 4. We don't need anything amazing in particular (and are paying for one night despite arriving at 1 or 2am). Is the Four Seasons worth it? It's about $350 USD more for the two nights, but it does include breakfast, so this is why I thought it would be a good choice.

2) With all of the comments re: KL traffic, I have prebooked the Batu Caves through RCI. The trip advisor reviews aren't that stellar, but we have no interest in shopping or theme parks. Of all the RCI choices, I believe this one to be best for our family.

3) I have contacted a bike excursion company to see if we can arrange a private tour in Phuket. We have no desire to go to a beach or go snorkeling, so Phi Phi or Centara are not what we are looking for. I'm also very hesitant to do the elephant ride...I feel badly for them.

4) No idea what to do in Penang. RCI actually has a bike tour, but the boys are too young. I may try to find a private bike tour there as well.

I have no idea what I am doing, as this is our first time in SE Asia. I would appreciate any comments or info, especially if I'm not considering a must-do in any of these ports.

One last thing...since we are repeating the same ports within a week of each other, we can try to do more things. But I think they won't want to wake up early on New Year's Day after staying up late, so that means nothing early on our second Phuket port day.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

We stayed at the ROYAL PLAZA ON SCOTTS. It is near the Orchard Road station. It is what I call a 4.5 star hotel with very nice rooms. Not sure about rooms for four, but check it out.

Price is half what you quoted for Four Seasons. Also, there are many good restaurants nearby with local or western food at very reasonable prices.