Promenade deck on Koningsdam

deck chair

Walking a couple of miles on the promenade deck, relaxing on a deck chair and watching the waves is my ideal sea day. Too bad the new ships are eliminating my favorite spot on board a ship. Glad I still have the older ships to choose from.

On a recent cruise (not HAL), the captain told me that most new ships will do away with the chairs on the promenade because that is where the life boats would be loaded in case of an emergency. In his words, the chairs are "the bane of my existence" and "slow everything down in an emergency."

Makes sense. Safety first.

Does it make sense? I'd want to see some facts recorded from past emergencies before agreeing. A promenade deck would seem like an advantage in case of emergency. And it's hard to imagine a promenade deck where you wouldn't have a place to sit.

Does it make sense? I'd want to see some facts recorded from past emergencies before agreeing. A promenade deck would seem like an advantage in case of emergency. And it's hard to imagine a promenade deck where you wouldn't have a place to sit.

During Muster Drill, all of the chairs on the Promenade Deck are folded and put out of the way. The deck itself is filled with passengers and crew, with little or no extra room. In the case of an emergency, those chairs clearly would take up a lot of real estate needed by the passengers. It doesn't take facts recorded from past emergencies to understand the issue and the captain's concern.

Not hard to imagine...it is called a 'Promenade' deck, not a 'Sitting' deck.

During Muster Drill, all of the chairs on the Promenade Deck are folded and put out of the way. The deck itself is filled with passengers and crew, with little or no extra room. In the case of an emergency, those chairs clearly would take up a lot of real estate needed by the passengers. It doesn't take facts recorded from past emergencies to understand the issue and the captain's concern.

Agree; the chairs take up a great deal of space for passengers and crew but also, in an emergency, the time needed to remove the chairs to create loading space.

It's a little funny people who say this kills a HAL tradition. The most loved HAL ship of all time had a promenade deck that was closed off entirely (ie inside) and didn't even have a teak floor). :)

Yeah... but you know how some on here can be... :rolleyes:

It's a little funny people who say this kills a HAL tradition. The most loved HAL ship of all time had a promenade deck that was closed off entirely (ie inside) and didn't even have a teak floor). :)

Yes... in Second Class.:o First class :D still had teak all round... and even sheltered around the forward end. And even above the 'private' deck above that.

Here there..... photos as shown. Second, First AFt, First Forward and Super-First!!! Before 1972 there was two classes. After 1972 there was No Class at all! :eek:

968034522_DDRTDM.jpg.5dd0142b4b972aefefa285edacb91a2d.jpg

1337981439_CCRTDMimagesMQBLRZ40.jpg.e993d15b2ab924bbb330c6c4a8ade83f.jpg

2046934447_BBRTDM.jpg.29d5e13b01157c664cffdd2f69fe9870.jpg

705691462_AARTDM.jpg.4f622070acfa1aaa3472b612d26599e0.jpg

Yes... in Second Class.:o First class :D still had teak all round... and even sheltered around the forward end. And even above the 'private' deck above that.

Here there..... photos as shown. Second, First AFt, First Forward and Super-First!!! Before 1972 there was two classes. After 1972 there was No Class at all! :eek:

But that's with the dreaded, snobbish class system! Viva égalité!

Agree; the chairs take up a great deal of space for passengers and crew but also, in an emergency, the time needed to remove the chairs to create loading space.

How much time to move a deck chairs in emergency?

How much time to fill this room on the Radiance of the Seas... and then get them file out back to the boats.... in a small NARROW walkway?

I'll take my chances on the HAL ship!

As for moving deck chairs.... well they are a lot for work for the crew.... be they on Boat Deck or Sun Deck. They have to stacked frequently.... even just fro sweeping and washing own.

1062273145_boatdeckHALAA.jpg.2ee154d53b26b89e351da0eddb320484.jpg

radiance-muster-drill.jpg.00dd821bc8f2e493f63afaf3bc95d7ba.jpg

It doesn't take facts recorded from past emergencies to understand the issue and the captain's concern.

Had there by any SOLAS concerns would have banned them a century ago!

Heck in Titanic they were throwing overboard. They became quite useful!

Hate to ask a stupid question but what ship was this? Thx.

Nieuw Amsterdam II had a similar setup if I'm not mistaken... except during war time of course

Nieuw-Amsterdam-2.jpg

On board the Nw AMSTERDAM (1938)

The PROMENADE DECK was the enclosed deck.

The SUN DECK... was the open deck where the boats were used for musters. Easily seen in the photo.

The Sun Deck and Prom deck were First Class. Not Second .. it was Tourist and there was an open promenade as well as an enclosed deck.

I still say facts would be necessary. As Topsham pointed out, the chairs are apparently are ok with the organization that sets the safety standards. Plus, my general impression of HAL is that they wouldn't compromise safety if the chairs were even a minor safety concern.

HAL has first hand with a major and loss of a ship... the first PRINSENDAM. Fire and abandon ship in Gulf of Alaska, October 1980. All 520 passengers and crew were rescued without loss of life or serious injury.

There was never any issue of 'deck chairs'.

Dirk Zeller was the Hotel Manager of the PRINSENDAM. He told me of his experiences. "We were sitting on the railing watching the pitch in the teak started bubbling. Too hot to stand on the deck. It was time to get into the boats!"

• 1 month later...

Can I come back to this? The issue of an open promenade deck is one that's quite important to me. Also, to be honest I've never cruised with HAL, but I have done several cruises on P&O's Arcadia, which is a Vista-class ship and was originally intended to be a fifth HAL Vista along with Osterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, and Zuiderdam.

The issue with accessible promenade decks is tied up with the SOLAS regulations. The latest set - 2010 - set new requirements for the maximum time allowed for embarking lifeboats in an emergency. These are 80 minutes from the time the emergency signal is sounded, and no more than 30 minutes from the time all passengers are assembled. I gather that the business of lowering the boats down to deck level (the traditional layout) was time-consuming and would affect the ship's ability to meet these new requirements, so the practice these days is increasingly to store the lifeboats at deck level on the Promenade deck, from where passengers can walk straight into them in an emergency. The Celebrity Solstice class ships are a good example of this, as are the Royal Princess class ships. In the case of the Solstice class you can at least walk along the deck behind the lifeboats, but the deck is quite narrow and of course the view out to sea is obstructed. In the case of the Royal Princess class, access along the promenade is normally prevented - there are barriers.

In the case of each of these classes there are some areas along the promenade where there are no lifeboats, where passengers can gather, and from where there are open views.

I've seen the page on the Koningsdam site about the wrap-round promenade. My guess is that they will leave access behind the boats, similar to the Solstice class; but it won't be a Promenade deck in the traditional sense.

Can I come back to this? The issue of an open promenade deck is one that's quite important to me. Also, to be honest I've never cruised with HAL, but I have done several cruises on P&O's Arcadia, which is a Vista-class ship and was originally intended to be a fifth HAL Vista along with Osterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, and Zuiderdam.

The issue with accessible promenade decks is tied up with the SOLAS regulations. The latest set - 2010 - set new requirements for the maximum time allowed for embarking lifeboats in an emergency. These are 80 minutes from the time the emergency signal is sounded, and no more than 30 minutes from the time all passengers are assembled. I gather that the business of lowering the boats down to deck level (the traditional layout) was time-consuming and would affect the ship's ability to meet these new requirements, so the practice these days is increasingly to store the lifeboats at deck level on the Promenade deck, from where passengers can walk straight into them in an emergency. The Celebrity Solstice class ships are a good example of this, as are the Royal Princess class ships. In the case of the Solstice class you can at least walk along the deck behind the lifeboats, but the deck is quite narrow and of course the view out to sea is obstructed. In the case of the Royal Princess class, access along the promenade is normally prevented - there are barriers.

In the case of each of these classes there are some areas along the promenade where there are no lifeboats, where passengers can gather, and from where there are open views.

I've seen the page on the Koningsdam site about the wrap-round promenade. My guess is that they will leave access behind the boats, similar to the Solstice class; but it won't be a Promenade deck in the traditional sense.

Tony,

You have it. It will be like Solstice class.... a narrow walk promenade all around but most areas will have minimal views.... not like in the Vista class.... but nothing like the other HAL ships. Things have changed.

The reason for the new ships.... all about revenue. You can get higher revenue from cabins with a view than those without a blocked view from a lifeboat. If you put the boats onto the deck.... the pax have to be mustered in public rooms.

The new ship building for Saga.... the promenade deck will be the traditional promenade deck. The boats will be raised above the deck to give the open promenade. Of course the boats above will block the view. How? Well that whole space behind is no longer for cabins with balconies.... instead that space will be a LIBRARY! It will be huge library..... at a guess... roughly 150 ft x 75 ft. Sweeping stairs down to the deck and lobby. Within the library... a coffee shop... internet.... a card room and also a 'Artist's Loft'. There will be dedicated studio for up to 30 'students' for a watercolour teacher... this is normal every Saga cruise.

Stephen

Are you implying that it takes longer than 80 minutes on the ships with the traditional promenade design? Just curious. I tend to think the issue is more "tied up" with revenue. Relaxing on the promenade means less likely to buy a cocktail or anything else.

As I read through the thread again, it struck me how different I must from a person who doesn't understand why anyone would to recline in a deck chair and possibly drift into sleep for a short while. Do they also find it odd that people lay back on a towel at a beach? Anywhere you can have the ocean in front of you and hear the water is the place for me!

It will be interesting to hear from people after the first sailing of the K'dam.

I love the promenade deck! We had a Lani room last year on Maasdam and our "deck" became the gathering place. Deck chair 369, that's where you'd find me, sometimes awake, sometime not. As a bonus we got to make friends with our neighbors!

I can't image being on a ship with out a promenade deck. It would be weird.

In general, is there not a higher proportion of veranda cabins on new builds? When we have had an OV cabin or an inside cabin - much of my day was spend in a lounge chair on the promenade (weather permitting). With a veranda cabin, very little time, in fact on my last 3 cruises (around 100 days total) with an verandah I never sat on that deck, only my veranda and sometimes by a pool in the sun.

Now I love to walk the deck, and when I did I noticed more empty deck chairs than full one, a real change from the past. (Yes, it was a warm to hot weather cruise.) For now, I think I will stick with HAL ships with a nice walking deck, but time will tell.

The Koningsdam website states:

Quote:

PROMENADE

A nautical tradition, our teak Promenade deck encircles the ship, offering spectacular views in every direction—the perfect place for a brisk run, an after-dinner stroll or simply relaxing in the sun on a classic teak lounge chair.

I'm really surprised to see them advertising the promenade deck as a place for a brisk run! Especially if it is quite narrow. Running was always limited to the top deck above the pools. The thumping of heavy walkers can be disturbing enough for the OV rooms below the promenade. Just an observation, we'll have to wait for her first voyage to understand what reality will be. m--

Edited by RMLincoln