Why should l cruise HAL

Shogun

A couple of tips for ordering off the main dining room (MDR) menu from room service:

1. Go to the MDR earlier in the day and note the menu for dinner. Taking a photo of it is a good way to remember all the options.

2. Normally you have to order from room service the first hour the MDR is open but you can have it delivered at any time (I would check with the room service operator beforehand so that you know the proper procedure as it may vary by ship.

3. If you are dining on a balcony, bring a cloth tablecloth with you, along with some hold down clips (can get from a party supply store).

Thank you, Dave! The plan is to leave our formal garb home and do the room service for the 'gala' evenings, doing things differently on a new cruise line for us. Taking a photo of the menu is a terrific suggestion.

We are on an aft balcony and I think it will be perfect for dining, so thanks for the tablecloth suggestion (less bulk and weight than dress clothing in the suitcase!)

Are the room stewards helpful in supplying wineglasses for the room? On Princess, it was hit or miss, and sometimes I just had to hunt down a pair from a bar. Once in the room, the steward would always wash/replace the wineglasses.

:D

I've sailed both lines, and have come to prefer Princess. We find the HAL ships small and dark compared to Princess. I especially love the food on the Royal and Regal Princess - best buffet I've seen at sea (and have cruised Royal Caribbean and Celebrity as well). I've never found the front desk anything but patient and pleasant on Princess, so no complaints there.

The biggest difference in my mind is the age mix. I feel HAL passengers tend to be older, with fewer families and fewer younger people. I like the wider variety of ages on Princess.

I like the specialty restaurants on both lines, and always eat in them all on every cruise. I've also had wonderful room attendants on both lines, so no difference there.

Good luck with your search!

Thank you, Dave! The plan is to leave our formal garb home and do the room service for the 'gala' evenings, doing things differently on a new cruise line for us. Taking a photo of the menu is a terrific suggestion.

We are on an aft balcony and I think it will be perfect for dining, so thanks for the tablecloth suggestion (less bulk and weight than dress clothing in the suitcase!)

Are the room stewards helpful in supplying wineglasses for the room? On Princess, it was hit or miss, and sometimes I just had to hunt down a pair from a bar. Once in the room, the steward would always wash/replace the wineglasses.

Yes, you should have glasses in the room. They are usually in the desk ( on the vista and signature class ships anyway). I always think it's a bit odd to bring a tablecloth but that just me. I'd rather bring clothes any day.

The aft balcony should be fine for dining. We were in an aft-wrap on a partial Panama Canal cruise and it was great. Bringing a table cloth was no big deal (takes up little room) and the clips were a must when the wind gusted.

As to wine glasses - it may depend on your cabin category. If it is a Neptune, you will have plenty of glass and they will bring you more. If you do not have any, check with room service or the front desk and I am certain that they will bring you what you need. Same goes for a corkscrew (I always bring a small one just in case it is not in the cabin) - room steward always brings one if I ask.

Enjoy.

Being 4-star travelers, we like HAL ships for specific things found on HAL ships that are not found on other cruise lines in the same category. Other than the obvious, better food, better service, excellent staff, some of our favorite things are:

1. Very Wide walking deck - unlike the narrow walking deck on Princess that requires you to walk up and down a narrow flight of stairs causing congestion.

2. Other than Koningsdam, bathtubs in almost all cabins from ocean view up with only a few exceptions....this is not true on other cruise lines. I am very sad that they changed this on the Koningsdam which is now like every other cruise line...bath tubs only in top suites.

3. Cloth towels in public bathrooms

4. Orchids on tables on Lido deck and spectacular flower arrangements throughout the ship.

5. PG is the best steakhouse we have found on a ship.

6. Happy hour every day...buy one get second for $1. No one else offers that to my knowledge.

7. Neptune Suite with Neptune Lounge is outstanding experience. Staff can do anything from help you plan excursions, make dinner reservations, help you with internet issues, pretty much there to do whatever you need.

Another thought - HAL recently changed the dress code for gala/formal nights. No need to wear a jacket and tie for men for example. You might want to review the new dress code on the HAL website.

Hi xznwfd

I hope HAL passengers are not older than Princess ones on my last cruise

average age was around 75 plus, good thing was we liked being called the young

ones.

yours Shogun

I've really found no huge age difference in the passanger make up between the 2 lines. If it's a shorter itinerary you'll likely have more younger folks. Longer itinerary there will likely be older folks.

Being 4-star travelers, we like HAL ships for specific things found on HAL ships that are not found on other cruise lines in the same category. Other than the obvious, better food, better service, excellent staff, some of our favorite things are:

1. Very Wide walking deck - unlike the narrow walking deck on Princess that requires you to walk up and down a narrow flight of stairs causing congestion.

2. Other than Koningsdam, bathtubs in almost all cabins from ocean view up with only a few exceptions....this is not true on other cruise lines. I am very sad that they changed this on the Koningsdam which is now like every other cruise line...bath tubs only in top suites.

3. Cloth towels in public bathrooms

4. Orchids on tables on Lido deck and spectacular flower arrangements throughout the ship.

5. PG is the best steakhouse we have found on a ship.

6. Happy hour every day...buy one get second for $1. No one else offers that to my knowledge.

7. Neptune Suite with Neptune Lounge is outstanding experience. Staff can do anything from help you plan excursions, make dinner reservations, help you with internet issues, pretty much there to do whatever you need.

What? The bathtubs are only in the upper suites on the koningsdam. That's the first I've heard of it. Thx.

Yes, you should have glasses in the room. They are usually in the desk ( on the vista and signature class ships anyway). I always think it's a bit odd to bring a tablecloth but that just me. I'd rather bring clothes any day.

At this point, we are trying to pack smarter and lighter. This cruise we won't have the option of coin-op laundry like Princess, so allowances will have to be made for that as well.

Another thought - HAL recently changed the dress code for gala/formal nights. No need to wear a jacket and tie for men for example. You might want to review the new dress code on the HAL website.

I will check that out.

We have a multi-purpose tool that includes a corkscrew that stays in the suitcase so we are always prepared for wine on vacation...

How do you rate the room service from the MDR menu? Any helpful hints you can offer there?