11 Months Later--Not the Same Cruise we Booked

AZ ParrotHead

That's interesting as your situation is not like most of the other folks on this board. Pricing is subjective and varies greatly week in/week out. For most folks (including us) in 2016, cruise fares are very high.

From what I've read 6 bucks on board will get you a beer or a well cocktail--not much else--without the 18 percent gratuity. Then again, that's what it gets you on land too. You're just not paying hundreds of dollars a day to sit in a floating bar.

I think you are making a big assumption when you say "most". I don't think "most" think the cruise fares are very high. There are many that are getting great deals and don't think the pricing is too high.

I don't think you're fully understanding what this post is about. When you book a cruise (or any type of vacation really), you have an idea in your head what it's going to be like. This idea is developed from prior experiences, reading forums like this, friends' experiences, and so on. When you realize that it might not meet your initial expectations, that gets a little disappointing. When it seems like every month brings a new change, well, that's very disappointing.

For me, the Getaway is my first "big" ship - Tampa and Canaveral are closer drives for us, but we decided we really wanted to try a bigger, newer ship. I was excited about the fireworks - I've never been on a ship that had them. Now I'm a little disappointed I won't see them. I don't care that they aren't on the other ships - I'm disappointed that they are not on this ship. Deal breaker? Nope, not a all. But wait, there's more.

I was ok paying 15% on drinks - we usually tipped over about a buck. Got great service. But 18% for opening a beer is a bit much, and chances are, I wouldn't be tipping extra. Deal breaker? No, just a minor annoyance. But wait, there's more.

There were never auto-gratuities in the specialty restaurant, just the upcharge. We always had such wonderful service that we tipped anyway (and more than 18%). We like feeling generous; we don't like feeling gouged. And a la carte just sealed the deal for me - as I said if I wanted that experience, I'd just take a land vacation. Deal breaker? No, but I'm not eating in any specialty restaurants this time. My choice, I know, but the reason I'm making it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But wait, there's more!

What cruise line is charging a "convenience charge" to deliver complementary food to your stateroom? None that I'm aware of, though some offer some upcharge items. I have no problem with upcharge items. But one thing I looked forward to is room service after a long day at port - I've done it once or twice every cruise. But not this one. Deal breaker? No, but I'm really having a hard time feeling the same level of enthusiasm I did when I first booked. And of course, there is more.

I don't object to the increase in auto-gratuities per se. We prepaid them like we always do. But I think the double barreled rollout of increases at the same as levying auto-gratuities and convenience charges for things previously covered leaves a bad taste in a lot of customers' mouths. I've read here that drinks HAVE increased in price, and I know for sure that excursions have really gone up. I'm glad for you that your prices are less, but I'm paying $150 more for a category of room lower than I normally get (and the current price on that room is $400 more today than I paid), so not everyone is seeing these savings. For me to experience what I experienced on my last cruise, it would cost me a lot more.

As I said, I'm still planning on having a great time - a day on a cruise ship beats a day work in the winter time. But my enthusiasm for NCL has definitely waned. I'll still sail them (I'm almost platinum), but they are not my first or only choice anymore.

The expression "your mileage may vary" exists for a reason, I guess.

I agree with you 100%. You stated it much better than I did. The changes are not a complete deal breakers but highly frustrating. NCL's way of dealing with change needs improvement, but I don't think it will happen.

I understand how the OP feels. But, we have two suite cruises that I booked back in February. My promo included prepaid service charges, Udp, Ubp, and obc. Thankfully all these changes don't effect my upcoming cruises.

I could not imagine trying to book a cruise now.

You raise an interesting point: Do these changes make people book just to get the freebies? We booked this cruise because it was 1. cheap and 2. friends on board 3. free drinks (UBP). Wouldn't have done so otherwise.

Provided of course that you prepaid your Gratuities back before the major changes were announced and implemented this year you don't ...

I prepaid back in Feb. before the increases so my Free UDP has no 18% fee....And if I remember correctly I still qualify for the cirque and dinner free as part of the old package...

I believe you're right. That's the compensation for giving NCL a free loan.

To add something else to the mix: I got into cruising at the beginning of 2015, a bit after what I now know is "wave season", the big cruise sale time of year. Isn't wave season when a lot of the people who say "it doesn't affect me because I have all the promos" booked their cruises?

And if so ... will we see desirable deals again during the upcoming 2016 wave season? I haven't been doing this long enough to know if this is just the way things go every year.

That's interesting as your situation is not like most of the other folks on this board. Pricing is subjective and varies greatly week in/week out. For most folks (including us) in 2016, cruise fares are very high.
Well, no, pricing is pretty much the least subjective thing there is in this discussion… But nobody watches all the prices on all cruises, and the small amount of data they can collect, they can only compare to what they themselves remember paying in the past.

And since most 2016 cruises are not yet paid in full and can still be repriced any number of times, people who are currently booked don't even know what they will end up paying.

I think you are making a big assumption when you say "most". I don't think "most" think the cruise fares are very high. There are many that are getting great deals and don't think the pricing is too high.

I draw that conclusion based on reading a lot of posts and doing a lot of vacation planning. Many have commented on the very high cruise fares for 2016. That has been reflected in the earnings call for most major cruise lines.

As an industry follower, I read the analysts reports and listen to the conference call highlights. Prices ARE higher.

Well, no, pricing is pretty much the least subjective thing there is in this discussion… But nobody watches all the prices on all cruises, and the small amount of data they can collect, they can only compare to what they themselves remember paying in the past.

And since most 2016 cruises are not yet paid in full and can still be repriced any number of times, people who are currently booked don't even know what they will end up paying.

Respectfully, pricing data and yields is a key metric that all lines report to their shareholders. For an interesting read, take a look at the latest reports from NCL. They indicate strong bookings and higher pricing for 2016.

I draw that conclusion based on reading a lot of posts and doing a lot of vacation planning. Many have commented on the very high cruise fares for 2016. That has been reflected in the earnings call for most major cruise lines.

As an industry follower, I read the analysts reports and listen to the conference call highlights. Prices ARE higher.

And I base my conclusion based on reading a lot of posts on here, as well and I believe you are making the wrong assumption. Prices might be too high for you, but not for most.

To add something else to the mix: I got into cruising at the beginning of 2015, a bit after what I now know is "wave season", the big cruise sale time of year. Isn't wave season when a lot of the people who say "it doesn't affect me because I have all the promos" booked their cruises?

And if so ... will we see desirable deals again during the upcoming 2016 wave season? I haven't been doing this long enough to know if this is just the way things go every year.

Traditionally the best deals of the year are in January/Feb and early March during the "winter blues" when people are looking to book vacations for the rest of the year.

And I base my conclusion based on reading a lot of posts on here, as well and I believe you are making the wrong assumption. Prices might be too high for you, but not for most.

Agree, I winded up getting a very cheap fares for next year - 3 week B2B where 2 of the weeks are like $525 each on the Getaway in December with no promos and other week is on the Escape for like $920 with a $50 shore excursion promo. And I'm going by myself in studio rooms- not so bad deals, if I do say so myself.:D It all depends on time of year one is going, when you booked it and what you like to do that costs you extra money while on vacation.

The data is what the data is. Pricing is "stronger" (read higher) than it has been in a very long time.

I've read many of your posts in the past and you're a cheerleader for the industry. Which is a good thing. I have been too. Just not so much currently.

To give you an idea: we take on average 3 vacations a year. Usually a cruise and Europe. If

we do a Europe cruise, we do a land/beach vacation and vice versa. Prices aren't scary to us.

What IS upsetting though, is having the value proposition changed constantly.

Interestingly Celebrity just announced a new "special" upgrade programs to help fill suites because their prices are too high in those cabins. The market is responding and the industry is doing all it's can to keep pricing high.

Since I have booked my first cruise on NCL:

Room service is now available at a charge.

Increase twice of DSC

Mandatory Gratuities added to specialty restaurants.

Drink prices raised

Drinks mandatory Gratuities increased 20%

MDR has for cost items.

Change of ports

Reduce time at ports.

Bait and switch is in full force!

All of these items are increasing profits.....

Cost of Cruises are much higher now then when I booked as well.

The data is what the data is. Pricing is "stronger" (read higher) than it has been in a very long time.

I've read many of your posts in the past and you're a cheerleader for the industry. Which is a good thing. I have been too. Just not so much currently.

To give you an idea: we take on average 3 vacations a year. Usually a cruise and Europe. If

we do a Europe cruise, we do a land/beach vacation and vice versa. Prices aren't scary to us.

What IS upsetting though, is having the value proposition changed constantly.

Interestingly Celebrity just announced a new "special" upgrade programs to help fill suites because their prices are too high in those cabins. The market is responding and the industry is doing all it's can to keep pricing high.

Yes, I'm aware of the pricing and I am aware that it is higher, but you said that "most" feel they are "very high", which is not the case.

Hey, I just call things like I see it. I call NCL when they are wrong and say when the are right, but if you to call names, call me what you would like.

Respectfully, pricing data and yields is a key metric that all lines report to their shareholders.
So again, not subjective. But if you're saying 2016 pricing is strong across the industry, then NCL hasn't raised its prices more than other cruise lines have. And I stand by my point that the actual yield for 2016 is as yet undetermined.

Anyway, why are we talking about 2016? Aren't you cruising in two weeks? If you were scheduled to sail in 2016, would you cancel that booking?

I wholeheartedly disagree. People are cruising now with deals that they got in the past. I'm not sure how much cruise shopping you do, but I did 7 last year, so do a lot of looking at prices and they've skyrocketed.

Editing to add: It's also the biggest complaint outside of the new services charges that people talk about on the actual ships. I do several year over year trips, and some are saying they won't be able to continue to do them.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Yes, I'm aware of the pricing and I am aware that it is higher, but you said that "most" feel they are "very high", which is not the case.

Hey, I just call things like I see it. I call NCL when they are wrong and say when the are right, but if you to call names, call me what you would like.

No disrespect intended sir.

So again, not subjective. But if you're saying 2016 pricing is strong across the industry, then NCL hasn't raised its prices more than other cruise lines have. And I stand by my point that the actual yield for 2016 is as yet undetermined.

Anyway, why are we talking about 2016? Aren't you cruising in two weeks? If you were scheduled to sail in 2016, would you cancel that booking?

Talking about 2016 because we typically book 4 to 8 months out. I think we have wires crossed on the term subjective.

By subjective, I mean to say that the price for a cabin will change based on the time of year and popularity of the cruise.

I do believe, however, that NCL has raised fares along with the other lines but the per passenger profit (yield) is higher than in the past. This additional margin is driven through add on sales (fees)

Would I cancel a booking for 2016? Depends but all other things being equal if we were outside of cancellation and did not have airfare booked, we would moved to another vacation option. We simply have too much invested currently to entertain that option.

Interested in other's opinions as I have put some thought into this topic now that we're sailing in 2 weeks.

This isn't the same cruise experience we booked in early January at the invitation of our friends. Since then, we have watched in amazement as the FDR revolution has taken hold including:

1. No included room service (nearly cxld over that one since we use RS every day on a cruise--opted not to when they made coffee and pastries complimentary.)

2. Increased gratuities--twice...

3. Complete "overhaul" of the dining program. Originally our plan was to eat exclusively at specialties but the increase in costs and a la carte pricing make that much more expensive. (opted for 3 meal specialty dining package instead now)

4. Global increase in fees of 10-30 percent (shows, VIBE, internet etc)....

As a frequent business traveler and world tourist (land and sea) I can't recall another hospitality brand making the number of changes NCL has in the past year. If Marriott tried to all of a sudden remove or change the amenities I've become accustomed to as a premier customer, I'd "jump ship" to another brand.

This is our first NCL cruise. We're elite on RCCL and Celeb and we are giving NCL a try because the price was right at the time of booking and we have good friends who have invited us to join them. Basically we're exactly the kind of customer NCL is trying to attract.

I can't help but have a little sour taste this morning as my wife and I are about to head out to the mall and get some new cruise clothes. I can't recall ever feeling this way 2 weeks before a vacation....

Wondering if others feel a little jerked around too?????

Well said; my sentiments exactly. Been cruising with NCL since 2004 and have loved the line. However, lately, I can only say I am less than happy with the changes. Seems like every few weeks there are more upcharges and no upgrades. Over the years I have seen a decline in service yet an upcharge (several times) in the DSC. The MDR has become a "take it or leave it" mentality. I recently (in October) requested a baked potato....guess what?...not on the menu tonight so it was a "no go".

I remember cruising over Thanksgiving on another line. On Thanksgiving night, we ordered the traditional Thanksgiving dinner but there were no mashed potatoes offered. The waiter asked if we were willing to wait a little while so that the chef could make us mashed potatoes! Wow!

Might just be time to move away from NCL and go to a line that offers the traditional "cruise service".

Our cruise in February will be our first as Platinum and I am wondering if that will even mean anything by then. I too, am very disappointed in all the comtinuing changes and, while before I could have been called a cheerleader, I am now feeling the nickel and dime crowd might have been right.

And now I see that Lobster will be available every single night included in the Haven restaurants but last year when I was in my first and probably only Haven experience there was not a lobster to be had there! Phooey!

However, being forever an optimist I am hoping against hope that my February cruise will be a wonderful surprise. The new menus look interesting and people are saying the desserts are much better than they used to be (they all tasted the same to me before, except for the Raspberry Brulee)

I also have the UBP for the first time so maybe I will be too tipsy to notice. It is going to mess with my reactive hypoglycemia but I plan to try, or attempt to try, every last drink on every last menu! Take THAT, NCL!

And Well, and I could be wrong..... But I just couldn't believe there would be no beef offering every day and those symbols were a clue. And I seem to remember something like this on a lunch menu. Again, I could be wrong. I am just not angry about it, yet. :)

On all the menus I saw there was at least one beef offering, often separated out as the Chef's Special (perhaps that's why you didn't see them). There are also the standard, every night offerings that include steak on the left hand side of the menu.

We approached our cruise on the Gem last month with some trepidation because of the number of changes, but for our cruising style we didn't notice anything really different from the past. For us, the cruise was one of the best we have had on NCL. But we may be unique in that.

Interested in other's opinions as I have put some thought into this topic now that we're sailing in 2 weeks.

This isn't the same cruise experience we booked in early January at the invitation of our friends. Since then, we have watched in amazement as the FDR revolution has taken hold including:

1. No included room service (nearly cxld over that one since we use RS every day on a cruise--opted not to when they made coffee and pastries complimentary.)

2. Increased gratuities--twice...

3. Complete "overhaul" of the dining program. Originally our plan was to eat exclusively at specialties but the increase in costs and a la carte pricing make that much more expensive. (opted for 3 meal specialty dining package instead now)

4. Global increase in fees of 10-30 percent (shows, VIBE, internet etc)....

As a frequent business traveler and world tourist (land and sea) I can't recall another hospitality brand making the number of changes NCL has in the past year. If Marriott tried to all of a sudden remove or change the amenities I've become accustomed to as a premier customer, I'd "jump ship" to another brand.

This is our first NCL cruise. We're elite on RCCL and Celeb and we are giving NCL a try because the price was right at the time of booking and we have good friends who have invited us to join them. Basically we're exactly the kind of customer NCL is trying to attract.

I can't help but have a little sour taste this morning as my wife and I are about to head out to the mall and get some new cruise clothes. I can't recall ever feeling this way 2 weeks before a vacation....

Wondering if others feel a little jerked around too?????

I guess what you are saying simply is: things should not change; oh my, wouldn't that be wonderful? As for the gratuities: you could have pre payed them and not had the increase or did your travel agent or NCL not tell you this? You could have cancelled before the final payment date as most of the changes went into effect a few months ago. The only real change that has hit recently is the al a carte dining. Most everything else hit earlier or are things that should not affect people that much. It is still the same ship and the same itinerary you booked 11 months ago; look at the positive instead of the negative side and yo will be just fine.

We approached our cruise on the Gem last month with some trepidation because of the number of changes, but for our cruising style we didn't notice anything really different from the past. For us, the cruise was one of the best we have had on NCL. But we may be unique in that.

This is how I see things. I'm not one to complain about something that I haven't encountered or things I can't control, but would rather see for myself. When I go on my cruises (next one in less than 30 days), if I notice that changes have made a serious dent in my cruise experience, then that is when I make the decision to stay with a line or move on.

So far, just on paper, I don't have any issue with the new charges. Would I have liked that they not raised the DSC, sure I'm guessing most didn't want to see it raised, but it is what it is and if someone is that much against the raises, they can ask for a refund. I like the idea that they offer upgraded items as a choice items, one can purchase them or not. Raising the drink gratuity another 3% and adding on the 18% for specialty restaurants, really isn't a big deal for me, since I tend to tip that already. And I don't think I'm in the minority, as I think a lot of people feel the same. There are a lot more things to worry about in our everyday life, then to get all upset about something that may or may not affect my cruises, until I've actually cruised and seen the affect first hand. Like you, I would bet that I will have the same experience you had and see no affect at all.

I guess what you are saying simply is: things should not change; oh my, wouldn't that be wonderful? As for the gratuities: you could have pre payed them and not had the increase or did your travel agent or NCL not tell you this? You could have cancelled before the final payment date as most of the changes went into effect a few months ago. The only real change that has hit recently is the al a carte dining. Most everything else hit earlier or are things that should not affect people that much. It is still the same ship and the same itinerary you booked 11 months ago; look at the positive instead of the negative side and yo will be just fine.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am not adverse to change. My job, actually, is to lead companies through complex change. I'm quite familiar with it.

I disagree, however, that the changes are minimal. Yes, we could have prepaid the gratuities but that means giving NCL an unplanned free loan. Not acceptable to me.

We could have cancelled but we would have lost the hundreds in airfare we paid. We are on a holiday cruise (we leave on Thanksgiving) so securing flights months before final payment was our only choice.

We are looking forward to our vacation. Just not as much as we should be.