Looking for input for cruise choices

leennp

I am hoping to get some information from the more experienced Alaska travelers to help me choose from Alaska options for May 2016. I am planning a surprise trip to take my mother on Alaskan cruise, she has always wanted to go but lacked someone to go with, and I never could go with her until my oldest daughter could drive….But do to a variety of work related reasons I can only go in May and the trip has to be over with by around May 20, maximum time is probably 12 or so days I can take off. Since that is early in the season for the one way cruises, I am really limited in choices. I have done a R/T Vancouver before on HAL, thoroughly enjoyed it, but was looking maybe to have some different sights. However the point of the trip is to make it enjoyable for my mother, she is approaching 80 and is fairly independent and mobile, but not adventurous, only limit also would be long walking and hiking would not be for her. Sorry for long post but I have narrowed down to three best options that fit my dates. The first is the R/T HAL Noordam on 5/8 out of Vancouver, would spend a few days in Vancouver before this cruise. Is essentially the same cruise I have been on before except has Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm, would add the Tracy Arm small boat from ship if can get it. The second option is NCL Pearl on 5/5, is a 10 day, starting in Vancouver, ends in Seattle. Has Glacier Bay, also adds sitka, icy straight point, and Victoria as places I have never seen. The drawback here is because is 10 days already for cruise I can only add either one day and Vancouver and one day in Seattle to each end, or maybe 2 days in vancouver before and none in Seattle. Also NCL has never really been my preferred line, mainly because the food has always seemed just a bit not to my liking on my prior 2 NCl cruises, they just seem to have a little stranger menu choices in the main dining/included options and little seemed to appeal. This trip could be booked with the specialty dining package though which could give some more options. The last choice would be the Island Princess Northbound Vancouver. The problem with this it ends in Whittier on 5/18, leaving me very little time to add a few days in Alaska and be home by 5/20. I always have felt if I was going to do a one way, I wanted to be able to do it when I had at least a week to spend in Alaska either before or after, and because the dates of the one ways in May not starting until later in month, not many options here. So any input for me?

Why not take a look at HAL's 14 day itinerary, roundtrip Seattle. Goes to little visited ports of Homer, Kodiak, and a full day stop in Anchorage. I believe next year it will be on the Maasdam. I've done this itinerary three times (on the Amsterdam) and just love it. It would be 2 days over your 12 day timeframe though which would present a problem for you wouldn't it? :rolleyes: Unless you could squeak out another two days?

Yes the 14 day cruise I would love, but just not possible, plus would be 15 because would have to fly in the day before cruise so that one is out, will have to save it for my husband and I one day. I have the Noordam currently booked, may look at booking the NCL as well until I can decide just so can make sure I can get a mini suite at least. My cabin preference would be the Neptune suite on the Noordam, but the NCL itinerary is appealing with the addition of Icy straight point and Sitka. What are people ideas of those two ports?

I really REALLY like that NCL itinerary. (.... and I almost always sail HAL). The port times are really good, would give you a lot of opportunity to do things on shore.

I've been to Sitka and ISP and Victoria (as has AIP :) ) but neither of us is 80 years old, so our opinion(s) may not be your mother's opinion :D But Vancouver offers a lot to see and do, along with good public transportation, so your mom might enjoy some of the gardens and museums and restaurants there???

Have a look at the shore excursion offerings in ISP and Sitka. See if there are things she would enjoy doing.

(And I've done a Neptune Suite on the Noordam, it was divine. Absolutely divine. I won't bore you if you have experienced a Neptune previously, but will be happy to answer questions if you have any.)

Edited by CowPrincess

Yes it is that specific itinerary NCL has on that date that even has me considering NCL at all... I have experienced the Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam on our last Alaska cruise, and have to say I fell in love with the balcony most of all and it is very hard to consider another alaskan cruise in a regular room. Of course we went the end of July, so I would expect early may might be a little colder on the balcony this go around. My mom has been on many cruise lines, from Carnival to Oceania, as have I except for Oceania. We are both pretty easy to please and I know she will really be happy with whatever surprise cruise I end up choosing. But that also makes it hard to choose, since she will like any cruise or vacation. Price wise there is not really that much difference between the NCl and Noordam, although NCL does not have any reasonably priced suites left, so biggest balcony we could have would be the mini suite size. Any thoughts on the one way ending in Whittier, since I would have so little time post cruise due to late date, would you even consider that one or leave it for another time?

Yes it is that specific itinerary NCL has on that date that even has me considering NCL at all... I have experienced the Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam on our last Alaska cruise, and have to say I fell in love with the balcony most of all and it is very hard to consider another alaskan cruise in a regular room. Of course we went the end of July, so I would expect early may might be a little colder on the balcony this go around. My mom has been on many cruise lines, from Carnival to Oceania, as have I except for Oceania. We are both pretty easy to please and I know she will really be happy with whatever surprise cruise I end up choosing. But that also makes it hard to choose, since she will like any cruise or vacation. Price wise there is not really that much difference between the NCl and Noordam, although NCL does not have any reasonably priced suites left, so biggest balcony we could have would be the mini suite size. Any thoughts on the one way ending in Whittier, since I would have so little time post cruise due to late date, would you even consider that one or leave it for another time?

With the northbound Princess, your travel home might be tough IMHO. Especially for someone who is 80. Check the flights out of Anchorage and see what time your flight would be leaving and where you'd have to connect, and what time you'd get home. You need to get from Whittier to Anchorage. That's a nice trip, from Whittier to Anchorage, very scenic, but IMHO you need to check flights. I don't see much up side (but that is just me, who DETESTS flying all day :D) You also don't get much time in Ketchikan on that itinerary.

So.... since it is primarily for your mom, do you think she'd enjoy the suite experience on HAL? Or more ports? BTW we have done balconies to Alaska in May, and the weather gods and goddesses have smiled on us. We needed jackets but could use the balcony.

I am beginning to see that yes you are right in that i just don't think the timing is right for the north bound, would not be any different port unavailable except for Whittier and not enough time to explore from there because I have to get back to work, with the very long flight home or overnight home. Not the right itinerary for this go around. So that at least narrows it down to 2 from three. Noordam or Pearl 10 day....

With your time limit, I suggest you not consider the one way, no time for any mainland touring and a real long flight for your mom, which is likely to be a red eye. Instead look more at the "first" cruises that have those longer cruises and better itineraries. Most if not all the cruises, that sail Seattle, have the Vancouver/Seattle cruises. Some of those are really nice itineraries. They should have something "new " for you.

I am beginning to see that yes you are right in that i just don't think the timing is right for the north bound, would not be any different port unavailable except for Whittier and not enough time to explore from there because I have to get back to work, with the very long flight home or overnight home. Not the right itinerary for this go around. So that at least narrows it down to 2 from three. Noordam or Pearl 10 day....

I can't believe I am going to admit this in public :) BUT I thought about this last night as i was falling asleep :D

This is what I got to.... (and please don't think I am comparing your mom to a dog, okay???)

We took our very elderly dog (and her younger dog-sister) on a vacation that was geared specifically to the elderly dog. We did the stuff we thought the old dog would enjoy. The best part of that vacation, the part that makes me smile every time I think of that vacation? The joy that the elderly dog had, doing things she had not done since she was a young girl. (We had to guess because she came to us when she was 11 years old, a rescue, but we had some clues about her earlier life...)

After that experience, I "get" how parents often say "the best part of the vacation was watching this kids have a blast".

So my humble opinion? Don't worry if you've been to ports previously. This is all about your mom. Figure out what is best for her. What she is up to doing, her interests, and your joy will flow naturally from HER joy.

Whichever of the two remaining choices you choose -- this will be an amazing experience, and the ports will only be a part of it.

I can't believe I am going to admit this in public :) BUT I thought about this last night as i was falling asleep :D

This is what I got to.... (and please don't think I am comparing your mom to a dog, okay???)

We took our very elderly dog (and her younger dog-sister) on a vacation that was geared specifically to the elderly dog. We did the stuff we thought the old dog would enjoy. The best part of that vacation, the part that makes me smile every time I think of that vacation? The joy that the elderly dog had, doing things she had not done since she was a young girl. (We had to guess because she came to us when she was 11 years old, a rescue, but we had some clues about her earlier life...)

After that experience, I "get" how parents often say "the best part of the vacation was watching this kids have a blast".

So my humble opinion? Don't worry if you've been to ports previously. This is all about your mom. Figure out what is best for her. What she is up to doing, her interests, and your joy will flow naturally from HER joy.

Whichever of the two remaining choices you choose -- this will be an amazing experience, and the ports will only be a part of it.

What a wonderful point of view. And surely inspiration for the OP with their planning.

Thanks for the insight cowprincess. And no I was not in any way thinking you were comparing my mom to an old dog but she would probably laugh at the comparison even if you were! She has never been to any of the ports so will all be new and enjoyable to her! So much to think about!