Car rental from Port of Miami

gkrnjlr

National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttle service between POM and their MIA airport location.

Budget, Avis and Hertz have downtown Miami locations close to POM - about a $12 cab ride.

How long is the ride? Can I rent at FLL and return at MIA two days later?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How long is the ride? Can I rent at FLL and return at MIA two days later?

The drive from FLL to MIA takes about an hour, depending upon traffic. Most of the major car rental agencies have no drop fees for one-way rentals in FLA :D, but you may not always qualify for the lowest rate. :( We have done FLL to MIA, MIA to FLL and on occasion rented one-way from MCO and TPA.

One advantage the airport locations offer, beside the free shuttle from National, Alamo & Thrifty, is that you get to avoid the "excitement" of driving in downtown Miami! ;)

Not quite "at the port" but it is in downtown Miami close to the port - about a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle.

We booked a rental at Hertz near the port that turned out to be at a hotel. They did not have the size vehicle we reserved and were not helpful. We ended up taking a cab to the airport to get what we booked (and needed); the manager at the airport was extremely helpful in getting us processes fast and satisfactorily and refunded the cab fare.

We always book with Alamo in Miami or FLL. I have noticed if you book about 2 weeks before the trip, the rates are fairly low with no drop fees. For example, we have rented at FLL, drove about 45 minutes (at night without traffic) to our miami hotel. In the morning, we took the car to MIA and took the free shuttle to the port (about 10-15 minutes). They also pick people up at the port and take them back to MIA but we haven't used that service as we usually fly home from FLL. With tax included the rental costs us around $25.

We booked a rental at Hertz near the port that turned out to be at a hotel. They did not have the size vehicle we reserved and were not helpful. We ended up taking a cab to the airport to get what we booked (and needed); the manager at the airport was extremely helpful in getting us processes fast and satisfactorily and refunded the cab fare.

The downtown Hertz location gets overwhelmed with cruisers and has received lots of bad comments on this board. Glad the manager at the airport location was able to help you out.

• 3 weeks later...
How often do the Alamo shuttles come by the POM to take you to MIA ?

Thanks in advance!

IMO, not frequently enough, and when they do arrive you oftentimes will find them full (unless your ship was the first one they stop at after coming back from the airport). I go in with a backup plan... I give them 10 minutes to arrive, and if they are either full or fail to show up in that amount of time I'll spend the $27ish for a cab ride to the airport and pickup the car. I guess over time I've been left standing on the curb waiting for the free ride too much to get worked up over it any longer.

IMO, not frequently enough, and when they do arrive you oftentimes will find them full (unless your ship was the first one they stop at after coming back from the airport). I go in with a backup plan... I give them 10 minutes to arrive, and if they are either full or fail to show up in that amount of time I'll spend the $27ish for a cab ride to the airport and pickup the car. I guess over time I've been left standing on the curb waiting for the free ride too much to get worked up over it any longer.

Thanks for the info.

I'll likely use Uber if my wife and kids start complaining about the wait too much. :) We'll also plan on getting off the ship as late as possible since we're in no rush - hopefully that'll mean we get a more empty buss.