We have rented a car. Where should we go?

Justprettynpink

I would do a tour around the Island...going North first there are some great sights...blow holes..forgot the name ..then go around the west side towards the south and hit some of the beautiful beaches...especially Cas Abou....easy driving...

I think Westpunt is a hidden gem. Not many tourists make it there, even those staying on the island. There are some great beaches and snorkeling along the way. We also found the distillery where they make Blue Curacao to be very interesting.

Just back from a day stop on Curacao. Rented a car for the day. We drove to Westpunt to start. First stop was Shete Boca National Park. A shoreline park with dirt roads to drive from scenic stop to stop. There were caves and crashing surf along the rocky coast. We then continued on our drive and came to the other side of the island and Lagun beach. Good snorkeling in this large inlet and a small beach. Locals were fishing. Rentals of chairs and snorkel gear available. We continued back towards Willemstad and stopped to eat at Dokterstuin Landhuis. This place is very native. Really good food and well visited by the locals. Took a long time to get food. (about one hour). Back to town, returned the car (right in front of ship at mega pier) and went to explore the city for about an hour or so before departure. A full and fun day.

Gail

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the tips...We rented a car from Budget ($73 plus a $500 hold for damages)...easy walk from the pier but the agent was on island time (no rush) definitely not a rapidrez location...lol. We drove to the Caves and to the National Park...then found a local place to eat (also on island time).

I was a little nervous about not getting lost getting back to the port area so google maps helped us get back.

Thank you so much for everyone's help!

Just back from a day stop on Curacao. Rented a car for the day. We drove to Westpunt to start. First stop was Shete Boca National Park. A shoreline park with dirt roads to drive from scenic stop to stop. There were caves and crashing surf along the rocky coast. We then continued on our drive and came to the other side of the island and Lagun beach. Good snorkeling in this large inlet and a small beach. Locals were fishing. Rentals of chairs and snorkel gear available. We continued back towards Willemstad and stopped to eat at Dokterstuin Landhuis. This place is very native. Really good food and well visited by the locals. Took a long time to get food. (about one hour). Back to town, returned the car (right in front of ship at mega pier) and went to explore the city for about an hour or so before departure. A full and fun day.

Gail

This is such good information. Staying at the Santa Barbara for a week in a few weeks, so we feel a rental is a must to get to the western side. I am wondering if driving here is an issue at all? We drove all over Maui (both sides) so feel pretty prepared for any not so great roads. I read that the cab drivers do not want to take people all the way out to the western side beaches. No clue, just reading comments.

Thanks again for the great list of places to go.

This is such good information. Staying at the Santa Barbara for a week in a few weeks, so we feel a rental is a must to get to the western side. I am wondering if driving here is an issue at all? We drove all over Maui (both sides) so feel pretty prepared for any not so great roads. I read that the cab drivers do not want to take people all the way out to the western side beaches. No clue, just reading comments.

Thanks again for the great list of places to go.

Go eat at Kome...It was one of the best dinners we have ever had! We are booking a cruise that stops in Curacao so we can eat there again! Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.