Scooter on the Breakaway

MotherofTrips

So I just found out that I can rent a scooter for my 80 year old mom to use on the Breakaway which will alleviate my co Cerena for her navigating this large ship. The problem is she is not in a handicap room. Anyone have experience with keeping a scooter in a regular balcony room?? How does it fit?

There's some good info on the Disabled cruises section of the board on the topic. Usually the rental company makes sure it can fit, or sometimes you have to take the arms off, they rent different sizes, depending on weight. I've also been looking at renting one for my mom

My friend rents one. She reports that you can call the service folks onboard and they'll take it away, charge it, and bring it back when you want it.

On the Gem we had cabins near the elevator lobby and there was an alcove where she could park temporarily. This works really well if your mom can walk short distances, like from the hallway into the cabin. My friend keeps a fold-up cane in the basket of the scooter to help with transfers like this.

Make sure to ask about handicap access to the Theater and the MDR. We didn't have much trouble getting a table near a "parking spot" but sometimes we had to ask.

Thanks that is great to know. She is able to walk shorter distance the scooter would help with longer distances die to her legs and her lung condition. If we could park it some where other than her room that would be perfect. Having her trip over it in her room even if it could barely fit would be a problem

Generally most cruise lines don't allow scooters to be left in the hall. It totally depends on where you cabin is located. I was on the BA in August. I noticed as we walked aft on the lower decks (when we were getting off the ship), the hallways are wider and even noticed one or two scooters parked. That surprised me. My sister and I always get an accessible cabin because she uses her own scooter and needs the HA cabin for the shower, etc.

The scooters that you rent are too wide to fit through the door of a regular cabin. Also it simply takes up too much floor space in a regular cabin.

You can also contact NCL Special Needs to answer some of your questions. Check out the Disabled Cruise Travel site under Special Interest Cruising.

Check with NCL if you can change cabins to an accessible one or one where there is a recess in the hallway. They are really helpful with requests we have had one on board for my Dad and with the big ships they are a God send.

The staff are always really helpful as well.