Currency in Cozumel

Chewybub

We plan on taking a taxi to Chankaanab from Carnivals port. My husband mentioned something about taxis not accepting US currency. Do we need to convert our dollars to pesos or are we ok using our dollars? How much should we plan on spending on a family of 4 for a taxi? Also should we pay for the enterance to Chankaanab with US dollars or use our Visa card. Do you think it's safe to use the Visa in Mexico?

Thanks!

We plan on taking a taxi to Chankaanab from Carnivals port. My husband mentioned something about taxis not accepting US currency. Do we need to convert our dollars to pesos or are we ok using our dollars? How much should we plan on spending on a family of 4 for a taxi? Also should we pay for the enterance to Chankaanab with US dollars or use our Visa card. Do you think it's safe to use the Visa in Mexico?

Thanks!

Last time I was in Coz (this past Feb) dollars were accepted just about everywhere BUT pesos are nice to have... about 10 to 1 at that time, have no idea what it is now. Most cabs will quote in dollars and the entrance fee can be paid in dollars I'm pretty sure.

Thanks!

First off you will have a blast in cozumel. We always use cash. And I have used my credit card to rent a car before with no problems. I would say you need small bills. We usually take lots of ones, five and tens. Due to if you give them a twenty and your purchase is only five dollars you may get your change in pesos. Due to them not having as much american money. But they are more than happy to accept it. Make sure you check the exchange rate before you go, it changes.

Cozumel is very safe we have taken taxi's many times. We usually pay around twenty dollars for up to four people to go to Nachi Cocom which is farther than where you are going.

hope you have a great time

last time i was in coz (this past feb) dollars were accepted just about everywhere but pesos are nice to have... About 10 to 1 at that time, have no idea what it is now. Most cabs will quote in dollars and the entrance fee can be paid in dollars i'm pretty sure.

16.75:1

There is a sign at the Taxi stand that shows the price to and from most places in American Dollars. We once had a taxi take us around the entire island and stop and several interesting places. I think we paid $30 for the two of us and we added a $20 tip since he was a good tour guide.

One of the excursions that we booked on line says that refreshments and souvenirs can only be purchased with pesos so be sure to get some exchanged before you come. Is there a place on the ship that will exchange or should we try to find a place before we leave home.

I travel a lot internationally for business so I have a bit of experience here.

If in fact your tour provider only accepts pesos, buy them before you go and use the bank that you normally bank at (that's ALWAYS where I have gotten the proper current exchange rate and limited fees). You are sure to get a better exchange rate before and after your cruise (if you need to sell back unused pesos) if you do it that way.

Airport exchange kiosks are not friendly in terms of fees charged and to my knowledge I have not seen any currency exchange opportunities on-board (maybe others can chime in on that). But I guarantee you that if the cruise line offers that service you will pay a higher rate and fee than you would from your own personal local bank. On European cruises the ATM's may/may not provide Euro's/Pounds (at a fee), but on Caribbean cruises it has always been USD from my experiences as they are widely accepted throughout most Caribbean cruise itineraries.

Hope this helps! If others have differing opinions please post and help

Grammie Gone Cruizin's decision!

I travel a lot internationally for business so I have a bit of experience here.

If in fact your tour provider only accepts pesos, buy them before you go and use the bank that you normally bank at (that's ALWAYS where I have gotten the proper current exchange rate and limited fees). You are sure to get a better exchange rate before and after your cruise (if you need to sell back unused pesos) if you do it that way.

I had forgotten this! Good idea, sometimes you need to give your bank a day or two to get the currency, so plan ahead but great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Cozumel many times and never converted dollars to pesos. All the tourist shops price everything in dollars, most restaurant prices (in tourist areas) are in dollars. Chankanaab Park is great. Print out a $2. coupon from their website (you will need to show ID when you use the coupon). Finally: taxi warning. Our driver kept trying to presell us snorkeling equipment rental from the park. He gets a kickback for this. We just told him no, we had already arranged everything, and got what we wanted once we entered the park.

Taxi Rental: International Pier to Chankanaab Park 1-4 people, $10.00; 5 people, $15.00; 6- people, $22.00

Have a wonderful time.

Edited by Cruising Photographer
add information

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi ride from Int pier to downtown is US8.

We went to supermarket and I use US dollar converted and I get peso back as change.

I have Xe app on my phone so I can see the xchange rate in real time with my free data roaming phone.