We decided to try NCL... and enjoyed it!

debsjc

Have you sailed them recently?

The Norwegian Jade was in Katakolon, Greece, a month ago, we (Prinsendam) were moored across from them, in the afternoon the crew put 2 big speakers outside the entrance and played for hours very loud disco music, no one on our ship could sit outside. It showed disrespect for other cruise ships in town and also disrespect for the town itself. They should be banned from the Mediterranean!

The Norwegian Jade was in Katakolon, Greece, a month ago, we (Prinsendam) were moored across from them, in the afternoon the crew put 2 big speakers outside the entrance and played for hours very loud disco music, no one on our ship could sit outside. It showed disrespect for other cruise ships in town and also disrespect for the town itself. They should be banned from the Mediterranean!

I would have HATED that and can see why you made the statement about NCL. They never should have disturbed people in that way. I would have hated it if I were aboard and had to listen to it.

Thank you for explaining your comment.

Edited by sail7seas

I would have HATED that and can see why you made the statement about NCL. They never should have disturbed people in that way. I would have hated it if I were aboard and had to listen to it.

Thank you for explaining your comment.

It's one of NCL's signature events in warm weather ports.

On one day they will have like a "welcome back block party" with lots of staff singing, dancing, welcoming guests back, etc. Really cool energy if you're a part of it.

All lines have all sorts of traditions. This is one of theirs

Edited by InTheWASide

It's one of NCL's signature events in warm weather ports.

On one day they will have like a "welcome back block party" with lots of staff singing, dancing, welcoming guests back, etc. Really cool energy if you're a part of it.

All lines have all sorts of traditions. This is one of theirs

I would think Bermuda in August would be considered a warm weather port? No?

Either I was temporarily deaf for 3 1/2 days we spent in Bermuda or they did not subject us to that kind of noise,,,,,,,, thankfully.

I would think Bermuda in August would be considered a warm weather port? No?

Either I was temporarily deaf for 3 1/2 days we spent in Bermuda or they did not subject us to that kind of noise,,,,,,,, thankfully.

There aren't multiple ports on that itinerary... so if they didn't I would guess maybe Bermuda doesn't allow them to do it?

Not sure. But Bermuda ports/itineraries tend to be unique in a lot of ways so that might be a factor

Edited by InTheWASide

Bermuda seems to have the good sense to ban it?

no guarantee that's what happened... just speculation... and whether or not it is "good sense" would be an individual's opinion... I think what they do is pretty cool. Definitely not an experience other lines give you

There are many, many people who post on the NCL board about how they love the welcome back parties, and cruisers from other lines who were in port at the time the parties were held complaining that their cruise line didn't do anything for them. It seems to be a hit for most.

InTheWASide mentioned in an earlier post that it exudes a "really cool energy," and that it one reason we like cruising on NCL. You feel that energy from the moment you embark until the moment you disembark. And lest you think I'm just a young thing, you'd be wrong. I'm over 70, and I still love that energy.

Okay so I've been checking out the NCL Jewel and just can't seem to get excited about NCL. I must admit I was a little leery before I sailed HAL because of the colors I saw throughout the ship but NCL colors really look like a clown car. Also HAL seems to have more sitting room and overall better cabins looking at the Penthouse Suites, MiniSuites, and balconies. What does sound appealing are more restaurant choices (but many are not complimentary),the entertainment choices, and the talk about more staff and better service throughout the ship and the MDR. The furniture in the public rooms don't seem as nice on NCL. I realize my view may be skewed because I haven't sailed NCL. I liked HAL more than I thought I would before sailing them.

Edited by qsuzi

Okay so I've been checking out the NCL Jewel and just can't seem to get excited about NCL. I must admit I was a little leery before I sailed HAL because of the colors I saw throughout the ship but NCL colors really look like a clown car. Also HAL seems to have more sitting room and overall better cabins looking at the Penthouse Suites, MiniSuites, and balconies. What does sound appealing are more restaurant choices (but many are not complimentary),the entertainment choices, and the talk about more staff and better service throughout the ship and the MDR. The furniture in the public rooms don't seem as nice on NCL. I realize my view may be skewed because I haven't sailed NCL. I liked HAL more than I thought I would before sailing them.

Jewel has a couple spaces that are a bit odd... like the Fyzz Lounge.

I would recommend Pearl or Gem. They are sister ships but with the Bliss Lounge and a little better layout in a couple spots.

inthewaside mentioned in an earlier post that it exudes a "really cool energy," and that it one reason we like cruising on ncl. You feel that energy from the moment you embark until the moment you disembark. And lest you think i'm just a young thing, you'd be wrong. I'm over 70, and i still love that energy.

:) :) :)

Edited by InTheWASide

Jewel has a couple spaces that are a bit odd... like the Fyzz Lounge.

I would recommend Pearl or Gem. They are sister ships but with the Bliss Lounge and a little better layout in a couple spots.

Thanks InTheWASide..I'll check them out. I'm looking for something that departs from California or Washington State. Another thing I noticed was that you don't get double sinks until you book a Penthouse Suite or above.

We actually found the furniture in the public areas (especially Spinnaker Lounge and Magnum's bar) to be very comfortable. And Magnum's had live entertainment each night beginning around 6pm. It was very much like a piano bar most nights. The Prime Rib dinner in O'Sheehan's (free) was very good as were both our meals in Chin-Chin's (also free). Our balcony cabin was very comfortable. The bright color scheme doesn't bother me.

I was very skeptical about trying NCL and I'm very glad I did.

"You feel that energy from the moment you embark until the moment you disembark. And lest you think I'm just a young thing, you'd be wrong. I'm over 70, and I still love that energy."

I've heard good jokes before, but this not one of them..

[quote name='qsuzi'][COLOR="Navy"]Thanks InTheWASide..I'll check them out. I'm looking for something that departs from California or Washington State. Another thing I noticed was that you don't get double sinks until you book a Penthouse Suite or above. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]You won't find double sinks in the penthouses on the Jewel-class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Jade and Gem) until you get up to the 2-Bedroom Family Suite or the Haven.

The Jewel and Pearl have been doing Alaska and the West Coast repositioning cruises for the last few years, and the Jewel does the Mexican Riviera. My favorite NCL ship is the little Sun (think Maasdam size, maybe a little larger). The SF suite aft is spectacular, but I can't remember whether there are two sinks in the bathroom. I'll look at my photos. The Sun also has been doing Alaska, Mexican Riviera and South America cruises.

[quote name='Sir PMP']"You feel that energy from the moment you embark until the moment you disembark. And lest you think I'm just a young thing, you'd be wrong. I'm over 70, and I still love that energy."

I've heard good jokes before, but this not one of them..[/QUOTE]What? You don't feel energetic, old fella? :D

[quote name='InTheWASide']With as much as people seem to enjoy it, I would venture a guess you're in the minority...[/QUOTE]

I watched the video, and as the saying goes, that's not my cup of tea. I can appreciate how some people would like it. I'm glad that there are different cruise lines with different customer experiences.

You don't get a sink in the bathroom at all on the Epic, it is out in the main cabin. The whole bathroom layout is strange on the Epic to be honest, but I didn't mind it. The self-contained shower is one side, the toilet is the other side, and the sink is next to the wardrobes!

There was quite loud music playing for an hour or so before we left Majorca, but it wasn't loud enough to stop me grabbing a nap in the cabin, and I have really sharp hearing. I can imagine if you were outside trying to read it could be annoying.

I have to be honest and say I still didn't like the look of the Epic as much as HAL ships, it was no where near as elegant inside, or outside. However for me the ability to have a great meal & great service every night, rather than having to spend 2 hours getting tepid, over-salted food, is more important ;)

I would try HAL again in the future, but they Really Need to sort out the MDR.

[quote name='Cruise_More_Often']You won't find double sinks in the penthouses on the Jewel-class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Jade and Gem) until you get up to the 2-Bedroom Family Suite or the Haven.

The Jewel and Pearl have been doing Alaska and the West Coast repositioning cruises for the last few years, and the Jewel does the Mexican Riviera. My favorite NCL ship is the little Sun (think Maasdam size, maybe a little larger). The SF suite aft is spectacular, but I can't remember whether there are two sinks in the bathroom. I'll look at my photos. The Sun also has been doing Alaska, Mexican Riviera and South America cruises.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Thanks for the correction on the sink issue. I'll check back to see if you have posted the pix.[/COLOR]

[quote name='sppunk']One thing to keep in mind, NCL is about to get far more expensive. Their CEO has categorically stated his goal and mission is increase overall fares and on board spending extensively.[/QUOTE]

The drinks prices, and onboard shop prices are definitely more expensive on NCL. I'm not surprised that the shops were so empty.

[quote name='Windsailer']We actually found the furniture in the public areas (especially Spinnaker Lounge and Magnum's bar) to be very comfortable. And Magnum's had live entertainment each night beginning around 6pm. It was very much like a piano bar most nights. The Prime Rib dinner in O'Sheehan's (free) was very good as were both our meals in Chin-Chin's (also free). Our balcony cabin was very comfortable. The bright color scheme doesn't bother me.

I was very skeptical about trying NCL and I'm very glad I did.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"]Thanks for your information.[/COLOR]

qsuzi, the Sun's SF suite doesn't have double sinks, either, but it is a spectacular suite anyway. It has sliding glass doors in the living room and in the bedroom.

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-83jVJQR/0/S/Suite1%20from%20bedroom-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-6SGb5Q8/0/S/Suite2-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-fZSM3xD/0/S/Suite4%20Bathroom%20sink-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-KtkjJx9/0/S/Suite8%20Bathroom%20tub%20and%20shower-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-RrH9krP/0/S/Suite3-S.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='debsjc']The drinks prices, and onboard shop prices are definitely more expensive on NCL. I'm not surprised that the shops were so empty.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mind the price of drinks - since I had their beverage package - and drinks up to $15 were included. I think NCL has a much better wine list than HAL - I really enjoyed my glasses of Estancia Pinor Noir on my two NCL cruises. The prosecco (forget the brand) was also quite good.