Canadian-what currency should I book in?

atlantic cruiser

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkred]Hi there,[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkred][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkred]I would book in Canadian for the time being to keep the price of my cruise stable. Between now and final payment, the price (converted from US to Cdn) could vary a lot depending on how our dollar is doing on the market. When our dollar was high, I would book in US especially because the deals from our US travel agents resulted in even more savings. Now, I am kicking myself because we knew it wouldn't last; I should have bought and socked away more US when we had the chance![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#8b0000]You may also want to consider a US credit card and bank account so that you can "average" the exchange out over a longer period of time.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#8b0000]Finally, a reminder that you can buy FCC's in both US and Cdn. I have a few in both currencies so that we have more options. Your OBC will still be in US dollars.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkred]Good luck![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkred]hokiefans[/COLOR][/FONT]

One reason I always book in CDN is so that I don't get dinged twice by the bank for conversion fees if I have to cancel. The CDN card I use provides us with travel insurance but they do charge a conversion fee.

Also the exchange rate Princess charges is usually better than the banks' so I have them charge me in CDN$.

I also book in CDN because after the exchange rate and credit card conversion fee, Princess's Canadian rate ends up cheaper.

With the way the dollar has been going, I'm glad I booked my January cruise in CDN. At the time of booking, Princess's exchange rate was 1.2. Now their rate is 1.35. However, not only does my cruise rate remain the same, but I can purchase OBC at my booking rate of 1.2. That's better than any bank today!

I usually book in Cdn. That way I know exactly how much my vacation is costing - don't have to worry about currency fluctuations. Plus, if I can lock in a lower exchange rate for OBC, as I've done for my next 3 cruises, all the better. :-)